“ok not as good as expected”

Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Faithlegg
Borris-in-Ossory, Ireland
“ok not as good as expected”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

stayed 14th March to 18th, self catering.
1. houses very tired, need upgrading not 4 star
2. breakfast in hotel good and staff lovely
3. 2 decent size bedrooms in 4 bed other 2 are box rooms
4. no tennis rackets for courts, and not intrested in trying to be helpful

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kate793

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We booked this short stay directly with the hotel to avail of their excellent value “Golden Years” midweek break. It was our first time to stay here and we had great expectations.

When we arrived, and throughout our stay, we were made to feel very welcome, as a guest and not just a customer. All of the staff we dealt with were very friendly and helpful.
Our standard room was in the newer part of the hotel and had a nice view with a westerly aspect out over the grounds. The room was very spacious and well fitted – king-size bed with bedside units, two armchairs and small table, writing desk and chair, good wardrobe storage, and a wall-mounted flat-screen TV. The number of TV channels was adequate but not extensive.
The room was too warm when we first arrived but this was eased by just turning down the thermostat on the radiator. The bathroom had a bath with shower fixture, a heated towel-rail, and plenty of towels and toiletries. There was good tea/coffee making facilities including a kettle and a cafetiere. The supply of tea, coffee, milk and cookies were replenished daily, including ground coffee for the cafetiere.
There wasn’t a safe-deposit box in room, but that wasn’t a problem for us given the nature and location of the hotel. I’m sure the hotel reception would store valuables if required.

There was free wifi internet access available in the room but the wifi signal was a bit weak even though the access point was located nearby in the corridor. When connected successfully to wifi, the internet speed was adequate for our purposes which included listening to a radio streaming service.

The buffet breakfast provided a good selection of hot and cold items, including fresh fruit, cereals, and pastries. In addition to the traditional hot Irish fry breakfast items, it was possible to order a fish course (kippers or haddock while we were there) from the kitchen.
Our package included dinner in the Roseville Rooms restaurant. This consisted of a three-course meal followed by tea/coffee and there was a different and interesting menu each evening with a good choice of starters and main courses. Service was very good and attentive. The wine list was a bit pricey, but probably only to be expected given the fine cuisine and facilities.

There is an indoor swimming pool which we only used once. We didn’t find time to try out any of the treatments in the spa because, due to nice weather, we spent our days outdoors visiting some of the nearby places of interest in Waterford and Wexford. Neither did I get a chance to try out the golf course here. The first tee is right in front of the hotel and the course looked interesting.

A word of warning – there are plenty of car parking spaces, but choose wisely. One night I made the mistake of parking directly underneath a tree where a number of crows were nesting. Needless to say I had to go in search of a car-wash the next morning.

Overall staying in the Faithlegg House Hotel was a most enjoyable experience. We would both like to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AnseoAris
GMFaithlegg, General Manager at Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your recent review, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay and appreciate your lovely comments.
I do hope you will return to us in the future and get to experience our Spa and championship golf course.

Kind regards,
Liam Moran, General Manager, Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort.
Cork
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Booked a two night stay with evening meal and golf included. Paid extra for an upgrade to a Master bedroom which turned out to be nothing like advertised on the website. ordinary Double bed and 26" tv with only 4 channels. Definitely not 4 star. Would hate to see their standard rooms.Very disappointing. We decided to go to the bar for a drink after we dropped bags to the room. My husband ordered our drinks and the barman told us to take a seat in the loung room and he would bring it in. After waiting 15 minutes my husband went to the bar to discover a pint sitting on the counter and no sign of my drink. Apparently the barman forgot. Service at breakfast on both mornings and dinner service was horrendous. Plenty of staff running around but not going anywhere. 15 to 20 mins wait for tea and toast at breakfast which by the time we got it was nearly time for lunch. At dinner we had finished our main meal and waited 20 mins and still nobody came to see if we wanted dessert or was everything ok We decided not to bother and went to the bar. Again where there was loads of staff and running around with empty hands. I will say in the bar on saturday evening there was one girl and I am going to name her because she is the reason I am even giving this place a one star. Her name is Grainne Flood and she was briiliant. Her customer service skills are excellent. We golfed on the sat and the girls in the Pro shop were very helpful. In the golf club bar after it was like Fawlty Towers. We again order a drink and waited about 15 mins for it. I can understand if people are rushed of there feet but there was about 8 customers in the bar at the time. Then when we ordered another drink we were charged for 3 drinks. He took the charge off our next round but brought down the wrong drink. We watched the rugby match and were only about a third of the way through our 3rd drinks when match was over we were the last two in the bar about 6.15 pm and the staf start putting chairs up on the tables letting us know that we need to finish our drinks they were closing. I would at least have expected the to wait till we had finsihed our drinks. We felt not a bit welcome in the bar at all.
On checking out I was given the bill to which had been added extra charge for the golf I told the receptionist this was included in our package. She asked was everything ok to which I told her about the disappointment in the room, the service at breakfast on both days and at dinner.
I will not be recommending This hotel to anyone that asks and I will be telling them our experience at it.
I could keep going on with this but the more I do the more I get annoyed with this place.
Definitely not a four star hotel even though Bar charges 6 star prices

Room Tip: If you decide to go for a Master de Luxe refuse to take room no 6. It is not a de lux room. In fact...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CorkSandra
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed Friday night for one night, just as a getaway. My better half booked a master room, dinner and breakfast all for a reasonable price. After getting to the room which looked amazing, nice large spacious room with 4 poster bed, we explored the hotel and grounds before she went to the spa. The grounds outside are in serious need of attention. It might be first weekend of March but you would expect some upkeep during the winter. For a 4 star you would have expected more. Advertised as spectacular view of estuary. In truth you can hardly see it due to trees 50 yards from window before golf course. If you are looking for a view try elsewhere.

For the spa the treatment was excellent, the staff member was great the products used very good and the overall experience was very satisfying. Only issue is we went down earlier in the day to enquire about a few things waited ten minutes and no one at the spa reception. Spa is in basement and on first impressions does not give warm, welcoming, relaxing feeling.

Dinner was very nice, and enjoyable. Staff most friendly and helpful really could not fault them. One issue being Sharon's main course, monkfish and mussels clearly had not been seasoned at all and should not have left kitchen. If you paying an additional supplement for a main you would expect a lot more.

Bar, bring your own drink. Paid the same if not more than would have in Dublin so don't expect country prices. 4.90 a Guinness and 5 plus odd for a Baileys is a little steep.

When we went back to the room the bed was the noisiest, loudest, squeakiest thing I have ever seen. If you looked at it funny it made noise. Our room was above the bar so we could hear the music in it till about midnight, both live and via ceiling speakers. Needless to say between the music and the bed not much sleep.

The elevator was also not working, I remember calling the hotel over the summer to arrange for the in-laws to stay for a few nights but as mother-in-law needed a elevator we had to rule it out then as well. Clearly it is faulty a lot or has not been fixed.

This all might be a bit harsh but after looking at this place online we had greater expectations of the hotel that had not been met. It has a lot of potential but still needs some refinement too.

Room Tip: Don't get master room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HenryL985
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Had booked to stay at faithlegg from the 7th of march for 2 nights with evening meal. In reality it lasted 10-15 minutes....we were checked in..walked to our room passing a big function room on the way, clearly being set up for a big function the following day, which obviously would of effected our stay as we were on the same corridor!! Once I opened the door of the room and turned on the lights that was it!!! Bathroom tiny, grotty and miserable looking. Main bedroom pretty much the same unfortunately. Rang reception at least 4 times to no avail so I walked to the desk. A gentleman came to my attention, told him I simply was not happy with the room was there anything else available? He responded what's wrong with the room...I work as a hotel receptionist....with that response I actually lost all interest in staying there...he looked at a computer screen awkwardly for 10 minutes before unsurprisingly saying he had nothing else to offer. I simply got our stuff and left. Bad room and staff with the wrong attitude. Would never return.

Stayed March 2014
5 Thank GH2020
Reviewed 8 March 2014

My stay at faithlegg at the end of February was with a group from my bridge club. It was a great success! The things that stood out for me was the friendliness of the staff. They created a wonderful atmosphere around the place. The food was absolutely excellent.

The only negative thing I could say was the hotel was very warm.

I would recommend it. The golf course looked fabulous.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
County Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Have been coming to Faithleg now for many years. Have never been disappointed & the feeling I get driving in the drive way is hard to discribe. In my opinion the staff are the main attactrion as well as the setting. The welcome from familiar faces is hard to beat. It was without discussion where we would go to celebrate a very special birthday & brought our daughters, their husbands a & 8 grandchildren. We all loved it, were treated, as always, so well, & no doubt we will all return as soon as possible Thanks to Gisella for looking after us so well, Merek G in the bar & watch out for Victoria in dining room. Houses worked well for family though we had the luxury of the hotel. Thanks to you all, will be back

Room Tip: On special occasion an upgrade. Have been equally satisfied with ordinary room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sally P
Dear Sally,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your Family celebrations with us in Faithlegg. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again in the future.

Warm regards,
Liam Moran,
General Manager,
Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Faithlegg
Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,144 reviews
Dunbrody Country House Hotel
Dunbrody Country House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Arthurstown

Been to Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!