“Nice for a quiet weekend”

Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Faithlegg
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We really enjoyed our few days in Faithlegg, will definately be back again.
The bar staff were friendly and excellent at their job. The bar food was amazing. The hotel itself is impressive and very comfortable.
I will say that the restaurant does let it down a little. While the food was good, the staff were very friendly but were inexperienced and it showed, not the kind of service you would expect in a 4 star.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Write a ReviewReviews (1,435)

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We had a fantastic weekend in faithlegg in December last year, using a group on voucher which included 2 nights bnb, dinner, and afternoon tea. We arrived on the Friday night to a beautiful hotel, and were delighted to find a beautiful bottle of red wine and fresh handmade chocolates waiting for us in our room. We had a booking for dinner later that evening and it was fantastic. It was fresh, seasonal and local fare and was really lovely. The next morning breakfast just took my breath away. There was nothing left to the imagination. There was a huge array in the buffet. Pancakes, smoothies and other items could be ordered separately. The breakfast room was the same as where we had dinner but the room was so sunny in the morning that it was like a different place. We spent the day exploring the local area, we had a lovely time beside the sea in dunmore east (we were lucky to have had amazing sunshine and warm temps for December). We then returned to the hotel for afternoon tea which was served in a private room (I felt like I was living the downtown abbey dream). The man from the bar who served it stayed to chat, as if he was an old friend that we hadn't seen in ages. We didn't need dinner after such a beautiful array was given for afternoon tea. The next morning we had a lovely breakfast again, and I enjoyed a facial in their lovely spa! I was so sorry to leave and I can honestly say it was the nicest break in a hotel in Ireland that I have ever had. Thanks very much to everyone in faithlegg for a memorable stay....

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We haave stayed in this hotel on a number of occasions and up to this visit were always happy. However, it saddens me to say that I would be reluctant to return after this visit. We were on an "over 50`s package" which on paper is a very good offer, but with the disappointing standards of food and service was not ! On our 1st night, we invited my son, his wife, 2 children and his in-laws to join us for dinner in the restaurant. We had no complaints about the dinner - apart from it being a boring menu from the `80`s. We assumed that as our dinner was included in our package that we would be charged for dinner for 4 adults and two children. We were really annoyed when checking out, to find that instead of taking the full price of our dinners off the bill, we were allowed only about €16 each and had to pay the balance. When checking in, I explained about the dinner booking and I believe that was the opportunity to explain that we would be charged what in effect was a supplement for our dinner. If we had known this, we could have just asked for a bill for our 4 adult guests and the 2 children. It may seem like a petty complaint, but it was not good service in my view. Also, although there were two people at reception when we checked out, the senior member was busy asking an American couple how they enjoyed themselves, neither she or the younger member of staff bothered to ask us. Do they think they can survive with overseas visitors alone ? Our second dinner was a disaster. We chose a dish with "prawns" as a starter. It was actually presented with 3 "shrimps" swimming in water. They had obviously defrosted these "prawns" and apart from the measly amount, this is a highly dangerous practice. The main course and dessert were highly forgetable and in no way represents 4 star standards. Breakfast was good, the huge jacuzzi is enjoyable and the pool is. As I said before, we had many visits in the past and really enjoyed them, food, service etc. The impression I got this time was that the hotel needs a competent team to pull it into the present. It most defenitely needs a new team in the kitchen. I`m sorry to have to tell it as it is but that is how we found it. A beautiful building in a fabulous location but it really needs help.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the old part of the hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DolBrayIreland
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Situated a good enough distance from the town and really only caters for golfers and stags. Overpriced for the facilities available. Breakfast had mould on the toast and the restaurant had loads of flies in it. Very noisy!!! Building is lovely though and the pub food was reasonably priced although it took over 25 mins for a sandwich to arrive.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Happyoutandin
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Visited this beautiful country house and it couldn't have been in a nicer setting! A spectacular drive up to the house leads you do this charming mansion. We were greeted by lovely staff and shown to our room straight away! It was nice and clean. The only complaint I would have would be with the dinner service! We were booked in for dinner at 8 o clock and we just ordered one course! It eventually arrived at 8.50 but I have to say it was worth the wait! Breakfast was also gorgeous with a huge range of foods to choose from! We will be back again

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Faithlegg house hotel is a really lovely hotel, full of character, set in a very scenic part of county Waterford. The grounds are very well kept and the reception areas are comfortable and inviting. However, 2 drinks in the bar cost almost 15 Euro. When I pointed out that this price exceeded that of other similar venues, the staff member was quite dismissive as was the Manager. It is a pity that such a wonderful place cannot seem to attend to the finer detail and appreciate customer reports in respect of unreasonable bar charges.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed here about 25 years ago and was thrilled to be gifted a return stay gift. 4 star rating is using poetic licence in my view.Staff were lovely,food was great,rooms were up to standard and the pool/sauna area was clean although it needed updating.My problem was service and detail. 1 1/2 hours between courses at dinner,no tea spoons,miss matched cups/saucers,spills not cleaned at breakfast,mix ups at dinner ,other diners complaining.At checkout check your bill as we had charges that were not ours.At home clearing receipts we noted that the prices in the bar were different on different nights.Faithlegg needs to look at the service and detail.These small changes will bring the hotel back to a standard it deserves..Conplaint made in writing to manager while we were resident and no personal approach was made from hotel...........thought this was a missed opportunity...........Detail.Detail.Detail

Room Tip: Some rooms are at ground level at a car park.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank doogue186605
GMFaithlegg, General Manager at Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Reviewer

Many thanks again for your feedback and apologies once again that you did not enjoy some elements of your stay with us. I am delighted you did enjoy the Food, Rooms and also delighted you enjoyed meeting with our staff throughout your visit. I am equally disappointed that service did not meet your expectation. All your comments have been taken on board and highlighted to our team here.
Upon receipt of your email which we received from you during your stay, I know our Restaurant Manager Joe and Hotel Assistant Manager Gerry met with you to ensure the rest of you stay was enjoyable. It was important that this happened as both Gerry and Joe were able to discuss with you and rectify the poor service you encountered and to put measures in place to exceed customer expectations.
I do hope you will return to Faithlegg again and if I can be of any further assistance please do contact me directly.

kind regards,
Liam Moran,
General Manager, Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Faithlegg
Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
#2 of 12 in Waterford
Dooley's Hotel Waterford
Dooley's Hotel Waterford
#4 of 12 in Waterford

Been to Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!