“Caution Travelers”

Holiday Inn Rolling Meadows - Schaumburg Area
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Rolling Meadows
Reviewed 17 July 2007

Be sure you have time to read this because this may take a while. I booked this hotel as a surprise for my kids. I grew up traveling and staying in many holidomes so I thought my wife and kids would love an overnight getaway for the summer. Boy was I wrong!!! I will give the hotel credit but it'll have to wait til the end of my review. So...on to the unfortunate disappointments.
First, we opened our non-smoking room excitedly and was greeted by the overwhelming smell of smoke. Despite that, the kids were excited to jump into the pool and so we put this disappointment on the back burner. I sent my kids into the bathroom one at a time to get into their bathing suites and when it was my turn to go into the bathroom I realized that it too smelled foul, this time of URINE! What in the world was going on??? Do the housekeepers even bother reporting this to management??? First smoke then urine!!! I immediately called the front desk. They said they didn't have another room on the main floor of the dome but offered one on the second floor. Due to a lack of convenience, I declined. They then PROMPTLY came to our room (10 minutes later) to freshen it up. All they did was simply shoot a few sprays of their "deodorizer" in and around the room...as if it was going to last our entire stay. We basically thanked them simply to carry on with our stay and onto the swimming.
That brings me to the next problem which happened at the pool. My kids had already jumped in when the "hotel attendant" (aka "the lifegaurd") came up to me asking to see our wristbands. WHAT WRISTBANDS??? He told us that we were not allowed in this area of the hotel unless we had wristbands to show we were guests. He also told us that WE would have to go to the front desk to pick them up. I argued that we shouldn't be inconvenienced since it was their mistake for not giving us these so-called wristbands. I told him that the hotel should bring them to us because we already prepaid for our stay which included the use of the pool. He disagreed with me and declined to help and so I firmly asked to speak with the hotel manager. While waiting, my family and I continued to use the pool. Finally when Andrea, the manager, came to pool side, even before I could speak, she simply told me that the hotel personnel were already on their way with the wristbands and that it was all taken care of. She sincerely apologized and I pleasantly said "Forget it, it's no longer a problem. Thank you very much!" (I suppose in the big picture it's good to know someone was monitoring the use of the pool in order to deter non-guests from sneaking in.)
The third problem I found was when I was drying myself off after swimming. I grabbed a "fresh", newly folded towel and proceeded to wipe my face. To my dismay it smelled horribly musty (as if it had sat damp for too long before finally being thrown into the wash). For the rest of the evening, I could smell that awful odor inside my nose. Even washing my face several times didn't help.
The next major problem that warranted a visit from housekeeping was when we pulled our bed sheets back at bedtime. We found food crumbs and somebody's nasty comb under the sheets. The previous travelers who stayed in this room apparently had no care in the world and ate their "crackers" on the bed without worrying about keeping clean. Simultaneously, one of them was perhaps getting an extreme makeover having their hair done while eating as well. Sounds pretty relaxing, right? Did housekeeping simply feel it was okay to just remake the sheets instead of changing them since that would take more effort or work on their part??? I called the front desk and spoke to Andrea again. Sorry Andrea!!! I requested that they change all of our linens, pillow cases and all. I was so disgusted that I suddenly felt dirty in a room that was SUPPOSEDLY cleaned prior to our arrival.
The last major problem I found was that there was NO noise control at the weee hours of the morning. I was woken up at 1:30am to the sound of people running and yelling above and outside our room. Where was security??? Were they asleep in a secluded area of the hotel far from the noise??? Thank goodness our newborn didn't wake up. I'm sure that would have caused the hotel management an earfull.
Now for the minor problems: Bathroom wallpaper was peeling off, the faucet head was not firmly attached to the counter-top, the hotel was under construction which gave it an overall feeling of uncleanliness and finally... NO CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST??? What is this world coming to when a hotel of this caliber can't spare providing continental breakfast for their guests? This was absolutely shocking to my wife and myself. Even Motel 8 and the Red Roof Inn gives continental breakfast!!! With all the disappointments, perhaps it was a blessing in disguise that we just left quickly after returning our room cards.
Okay, now for the good things about the hotel. Our check in went very smooth and the foyer was beautiful. Was this a ploy in order to get more people in through the doors? The foyer was a big contrast to the rest of the hotel.
The front desk called soon after we got into our room to see that we made it in okay and to remind us that they were there to help if we needed anything.
Aside from the things I've already mentioned about the room, asthetically the room looked warm and comfortable. Granite-like counter-tops, large soft beds, nice size tv, attractive paintings above each headboard, and even a refrigerator.
When we took the scenic tour around the hotel, I noticed two managers walking around and asking people "how are you doing?" or "is everything going okay for you?". I got the sense that they really were trying to achieve good customer service. That was a HUGE plus!!!
The night we were there, they had a free dinner buffet that served salad, macaroni & cheese, broiled chicken (breast, thigh, wings, and legs), bread & butter and pop. Not bad at all for a free dinner. I wondered if they did this every night or perhaps just on the weekend.
Lastly, they supplied fantastic entertainment. There was tropical music playing throughout the evening from 6pm to approximately 11pm. I felt like I was in the Bahamas. For the kids, they had two magic shows (one at 7pm and again at 1030pm). My kids had a blast watching the magician turn 4 doves into a poodle. How in the world did that guy do that???
I hate to sound like a complainer but I know some of you who read this will truly appreciate my honestly. If I haven't changed your mind about staying here, I hope you have a better experience than we did. I know there have been many people ahead of us who said nothing negative. Good luck and good travels.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank SavnOne

Reviewed 5 July 2007

I stayed here back in January for 3 nights. Overall, the rooms were clean and I was happy with the service. However, I avoided the 'Holidome' area like the plauge. There were tons of kids fighting, running and screaming in the area all day long. I'm almost certain that they were all not guests of the hotel. Perhaps they charge locals to use the facilities? I only got this impression because all of the children seem to arrive at a certain time all together, and leave at a certain time. They also required wrist bands to enter, which I found to be rather odd. The staff makes absolutely no effort to control the children or keep the peace. At one point there were two 10(is) year old girls riding up and down the elavators for hours until one of the actually broke and was put out of service. The people at the front desk seemed uninterested.

So the final verdicts is that it was a nice hotel, but if you're looking for some peace and quiet, go somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
happytravels13, Management at Holiday Inn Rolling Meadows - Schaumburg Area, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2009

Im sorry that you feel the hotel was noisy. During the week you will find the hotel caters to business travelers and on the weekend we are a facility that caters to families. The families that are here come to enjoy the sights and sounds of our Polynesian resort and spending time with their families. The resort does close at 11pm on Friday and Saturday evenings to give families plenty of time to be able to enjoy their surroundings.

Reviewed 21 June 2007

I booked a room for a conference my wife & I were attending about 6 miles away. Then I came to TripAdvisor & read the reviews & started to get frightened. It was too late to change so we just went with our fingers crossed.

It turned out that our room was pretty decent. No mess and no smell as reported in other posts. And the bathroom worked fine. Not the greatest hotel I've ever stayed at, but certainly not the nightmare others have reported. It was clean, comfortable & quiet.

There were plenty of restaurants within a mile or so of the hotel, so we never went to McKenna's.

They appear to be working on/around the outdoor pool so its closed, but the indoor pool was sufficient.

I noticed that many of the rooms around the Holidome were being renovated, so perhaps the bad experiences are in rooms that they haven't gotten too yet.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank Bob V
Reviewed 15 June 2007

I was booked here after my flight was canceled. A shuttle runs from the airport's ground transportation center to the hotel every hour on the hour. The shuttle driver did not assist passengers with luggage and, in fact, told me and one other traveler to leave our bags in the front of the bus (by the door). The other travelers had to sit with their bags in their seats.

I was checked into a room on the first floor, facing a near-empty parking lot and two vacant lots adjacent to the hotel. The room opened to the parking lot. The room was clearly in the older part of the hotel, perhaps originally a "no-tell motel" around which the Holiday Inn may have been built. The room smelled of cleaned-up vomit, the toilet ran constantly, the furniture was worn, and there were cobwebs and dead insects behind the door to the room. I returned to the front desk, requested a room change and was given a room on the second floor, overlooking the "Holidome." While not great, this room was far better than the original. Inexplicably, though, I was offered no assistance with my luggage, although I was given a map of the hotel.

The concierge in the lobby and the waiter in the restaurant were very cordial. Food in the restaurant was okay, although the kitchen took a long time to prepare quesadillas. The shuttle bus driver who drove the bus the next morning assisted each passenger with his or her luggage and stored the luggage in the back of the bus. However, the shuttle was very dirty at 8:30 a.m., with empty Starbucks coffee cups lodged between seats, empty water bottles rolling around on the floor, and the remains of snack foods stuffed under the seats.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank Stardust615
Reviewed 11 April 2007

With spring break approaching and birthdays to celebrate a few family members thought this would be a great opportunity to gather the children and treat them to a weekend of fun. We were impolitely shocked to find out that since our last visit the hotel has now turned into an arena for a harassment lawsuit. Upon our arrival we found the lobby to look like a zoo territory. The staff was uncoordinated, taking long periods of time to check in guest causing the now impatient guest to wonder if the hotel is competent enough to cater to the needs of guest waiting in line. In addition to this the hotel has hired a security person (yes a flashlight cop) who has been tasked with harassing minor regarding the NEW wristbands rule which requires any persons on the hotel property to display at all times (come on this isn’t a all inclusive resort). This came as a surprise because this rule was not stated during the initial check-in nor were there any signs posted. While on the hotel property we had the flashlight cop and management harassing/insulting guest/minors about these wristbands repetitively. Kind of like a stalker. This made my party feel very uncomfortable and unwanted. Our children were consistently hassled, we were hassled and all for a 3 star hotel. The carpeting is in need of cleaning, the beds were worn and just the overall service was dreadful. This hotel isn’t worth the headache caused by unprofessional service provided.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank Mommie32
Reviewed 27 March 2007

We stayed at this hotel on March 24, 2007. It was very crowded, as to be expected in a Holidome on a weekend. That is a given! My kids loved the Holidome area and our room was clean. We stayed right outside the basketball area, and it was noisy, but what do people expect exactly when they stay in a hotel that is family friendly? If you stay there and don't want the noise, stay OUTSIDE of the Holidome. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. I have absolutely no complaints, and my kids are asking to go again. I don't know what expectations people have. If they have that much money and don't like noise and kids, go stay at the Ritz or something. This is a family hotel where you should expect to hear kids, see kids and have kids running under your feet. Don't stay in a Holidome hotel if you dont like kids!

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank theslates
Reviewed 7 October 2006

I read some of the reviews of this disaster area that were posted late in 05 and early in 06. Either these people were at some other Holiday Inn, (if there IS another one in Rolling Meadows) or their standards are pretty low. My daugter wrote a review of this hotel "Don't Waste Your Money", and I must say I agree with her 100%. What was supposed to be a two day mini vacation to spend some time with my daughter and son-in-law turned out to be nothing more at this place than a exercise in terror. Next time, I will see if there is a Bates Motel in Rolling Meadows. It would be better than the Holiday Inn!!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family
Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, Chicago
3 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Chicago - Schaumburg
Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago - Schaumburg/Woodfield

Been to Holiday Inn Rolling Meadows - Schaumburg Area? Share your experiences!