Be sure you have time to read this because this may take a while. I booked this hotel as a surprise for my kids. I grew up traveling and staying in many holidomes so I thought my wife and kids would love an overnight getaway for the summer. Boy was I wrong!!! I will give the hotel credit but it'll have to wait til the end of my review. So...on to the unfortunate disappointments.
First, we opened our non-smoking room excitedly and was greeted by the overwhelming smell of smoke. Despite that, the kids were excited to jump into the pool and so we put this disappointment on the back burner. I sent my kids into the bathroom one at a time to get into their bathing suites and when it was my turn to go into the bathroom I realized that it too smelled foul, this time of URINE! What in the world was going on??? Do the housekeepers even bother reporting this to management??? First smoke then urine!!! I immediately called the front desk. They said they didn't have another room on the main floor of the dome but offered one on the second floor. Due to a lack of convenience, I declined. They then PROMPTLY came to our room (10 minutes later) to freshen it up. All they did was simply shoot a few sprays of their "deodorizer" in and around the room...as if it was going to last our entire stay. We basically thanked them simply to carry on with our stay and onto the swimming.
That brings me to the next problem which happened at the pool. My kids had already jumped in when the "hotel attendant" (aka "the lifegaurd") came up to me asking to see our wristbands. WHAT WRISTBANDS??? He told us that we were not allowed in this area of the hotel unless we had wristbands to show we were guests. He also told us that WE would have to go to the front desk to pick them up. I argued that we shouldn't be inconvenienced since it was their mistake for not giving us these so-called wristbands. I told him that the hotel should bring them to us because we already prepaid for our stay which included the use of the pool. He disagreed with me and declined to help and so I firmly asked to speak with the hotel manager. While waiting, my family and I continued to use the pool. Finally when Andrea, the manager, came to pool side, even before I could speak, she simply told me that the hotel personnel were already on their way with the wristbands and that it was all taken care of. She sincerely apologized and I pleasantly said "Forget it, it's no longer a problem. Thank you very much!" (I suppose in the big picture it's good to know someone was monitoring the use of the pool in order to deter non-guests from sneaking in.)
The third problem I found was when I was drying myself off after swimming. I grabbed a "fresh", newly folded towel and proceeded to wipe my face. To my dismay it smelled horribly musty (as if it had sat damp for too long before finally being thrown into the wash). For the rest of the evening, I could smell that awful odor inside my nose. Even washing my face several times didn't help.
The next major problem that warranted a visit from housekeeping was when we pulled our bed sheets back at bedtime. We found food crumbs and somebody's nasty comb under the sheets. The previous travelers who stayed in this room apparently had no care in the world and ate their "crackers" on the bed without worrying about keeping clean. Simultaneously, one of them was perhaps getting an extreme makeover having their hair done while eating as well. Sounds pretty relaxing, right? Did housekeeping simply feel it was okay to just remake the sheets instead of changing them since that would take more effort or work on their part??? I called the front desk and spoke to Andrea again. Sorry Andrea!!! I requested that they change all of our linens, pillow cases and all. I was so disgusted that I suddenly felt dirty in a room that was SUPPOSEDLY cleaned prior to our arrival.
The last major problem I found was that there was NO noise control at the weee hours of the morning. I was woken up at 1:30am to the sound of people running and yelling above and outside our room. Where was security??? Were they asleep in a secluded area of the hotel far from the noise??? Thank goodness our newborn didn't wake up. I'm sure that would have caused the hotel management an earfull.
Now for the minor problems: Bathroom wallpaper was peeling off, the faucet head was not firmly attached to the counter-top, the hotel was under construction which gave it an overall feeling of uncleanliness and finally... NO CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST??? What is this world coming to when a hotel of this caliber can't spare providing continental breakfast for their guests? This was absolutely shocking to my wife and myself. Even Motel 8 and the Red Roof Inn gives continental breakfast!!! With all the disappointments, perhaps it was a blessing in disguise that we just left quickly after returning our room cards.
Okay, now for the good things about the hotel. Our check in went very smooth and the foyer was beautiful. Was this a ploy in order to get more people in through the doors? The foyer was a big contrast to the rest of the hotel.
The front desk called soon after we got into our room to see that we made it in okay and to remind us that they were there to help if we needed anything.
Aside from the things I've already mentioned about the room, asthetically the room looked warm and comfortable. Granite-like counter-tops, large soft beds, nice size tv, attractive paintings above each headboard, and even a refrigerator.
When we took the scenic tour around the hotel, I noticed two managers walking around and asking people "how are you doing?" or "is everything going okay for you?". I got the sense that they really were trying to achieve good customer service. That was a HUGE plus!!!
The night we were there, they had a free dinner buffet that served salad, macaroni & cheese, broiled chicken (breast, thigh, wings, and legs), bread & butter and pop. Not bad at all for a free dinner. I wondered if they did this every night or perhaps just on the weekend.
Lastly, they supplied fantastic entertainment. There was tropical music playing throughout the evening from 6pm to approximately 11pm. I felt like I was in the Bahamas. For the kids, they had two magic shows (one at 7pm and again at 1030pm). My kids had a blast watching the magician turn 4 doves into a poodle. How in the world did that guy do that???
I hate to sound like a complainer but I know some of you who read this will truly appreciate my honestly. If I haven't changed your mind about staying here, I hope you have a better experience than we did. I know there have been many people ahead of us who said nothing negative. Good luck and good travels.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Look again! The Holiday Inn Rolling Meadows is renewed and better then ever. Located only 9 miles from Chicago's O'Hare Airport, the Holiday Inn Rolling Meadows is conveniently located on the NE corner of I-90 and I-290 right off I-53 in the heart of the Schaumburg business district. The hotel features newly designed rooms in our executive tower and suites situated around an incredible Polynesian indoor tropical garden and recreation area. The Chicago area hotel offers a childrens' pool, adult lap pool, whirlpool, sauna, fitness center and game room. Enjoy the sights and sounds of the islands as you relax at the Tiki bar. Stay connected with complimentary high-speed wireless access throughout the hotel. Each guestroom provides a refrigerator and microwave, upgraded bed linens and a superior shower experience. Whether your visit is leisure or business related, the hotel is conveniently located to America's top notch shopping, with easy access to Woodfield Mall, Arlington Park Race Track, Schaumburg Convention Center, Rosemont Convention Center, Willow Creek, and Medieval Times. Kids eat free at the Holiday Inn Rolling Meadows and we welcome you to join us at McKenna's Restaurant and Lounge. A full menu of delicious choices is offered for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We invite you to look again! We're waiting for you at the Holiday Inn Rolling Meadows. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Rolling Meadows - Schaumburg Area reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Chicago Rolling Meadows Hotel Rolling Meadows
- Holiday Inn Rolling Meadows
- Rolling Meadows Holiday Inn