“Nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon...”
Review of Lynfred Winery

Lynfred Winery
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Roselle
Reviewed 25 November 2013

In a beautiful old house in Roselle, Illinois you will find Lynfred Winery. Lynfred does not grow their own grapes but instead buys them from locations all over the USA. They have the grapes brought to their Roselle locations where they are turned into some nice wines. I highly recommend stopping in on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and doing a tasting. If you find something you like you can take a few bottles back home with you. Especially fun is their annual Oktoberfest. Think of any other Oktoberfest you might have been too but instead of beer there is wine!

All reviews
in 7 reviews
in 7 reviews
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We had a great time. The rest of our party says it has a lot to do with my happy attitude, which became even happier after we tasted the wine. We visited on November 16th, and became known as the group from St. Louis, where we have "Arches" LOL (Gateway Arch). Tasting was fun, I think the charge was $9 to taste 7 healthy samples. Complimentary tour was informative. Barb was a great tour guide. Interesting history of how the winery came to be. Call ahead if you want the tour. Check on times. They have a B&B as well. I did not check on rates. We will return on our next visit to Roselle. We will try the food on our next trip.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

We found Lynfred Winery a year ago in January 2012 when my daughter and her fiance were looking for a place to have a small, intimate wedding. We looked at several places, but this one had the atmosphere she liked most. The Roselle location is in a beautiful old house, and the wedding was to take place in the wine cellar area, with exposed brick, wine barrels and tea lights. My daughter loves photography, and could envision lovely wedding pictures that included stained glass, the brick archway, an iron gate-like door, and the cozy, warm feel she was looking for.

Unfortunately, "cozy" and "warm" only describe the building. The people were anything but. Our initial contact with the facility was in January. We were told that the 12-12-12 date was available once they checked the calendar, and were given a breakdown of the setup they do, which included tea lights in the wine barrels, the area cleared of boxes, etc., and chair setup. My daughter specifically asked about a brick tunnel leading into the main area, in hopes that she could walk down the tunnel leading into the ceremony. We were told that, while this area would be cleared, there was a private residence at the other end of the tunnel, and she would not be able to walk down that way. My daughter asked if pictures of that area would be possible, and we were told that the area was cleared for events, and yes, photos would be fine.

When we were ready to pay for the location, Lisa Klus, the event coordinator, told us at that time that they do not do events in December, despite us previously being told the date was available. We found the staff to be disorganized and uncommunicative at that time, but after some discussion, we were told we could have the wine cellar for the 12-12-12 date. The contract was signed on February 9, and the full payment for the facility was made at that time.

In April, my husband and I discovered we were the victim of a minor identity theft problem, which resulted in all account numbers and credit cards being changed. This would later become important in regards to our daughter's wedding.

Everything seemed fine with Lynfred up until the day of the rehearsal on Sunday, December 9. At that point, the area for the wedding had not been cleared of boxes, and there were issues such as overhead fluorescent lighting and a plastic utility table we had questioned. The staff person that was assigned to "watch over" the rehearsal was sweet, and politely said she would get someone to answer our questions. She introduced Susan, who could not answer our questions, but referred them to Lisa with plans for her to call us the following day. At that time, Susan told us we had a B&B room available to us for the bridal party to get ready in. We thought this was very nice of them, and myself, my daughter, our minister's wife, and the maid of honor went with Susan to look at the lovely B&B rooms so that my daughter could choose one. All of us understood this to be complimentary, and a kindness that Lynfred had granted. We verbalized our appreciation for this unexpected nicety, and thanked Susan.

We received a call from Lisa on Tuesday, as my daughter and I were sitting across from each other at Cooper's Hawk enjoying lunch and choosing the wine for the following day's event. My daughter was already somewhat nervous, as we had had a few last minute difficulties we were attending to, but the look on her face when Lisa called clearly told me there was a problem. She handed the phone to me. Lisa then stated that the boxes would only be cleared from the area - particularly the tunnel area - if we paid a $50 fee. Generally they just "threw a sheet over them" or put up a curtain. I reminded her of our conversation months prior. I agreed to pay the fee, but stated I would like to speak to the manager about this. She called back a short time later to tell me she had spoken with the manager, and he had waived the fee, and the boxes would be cleared. We were made to feel like an intrusive inconvenience, and were told Lynfred was "shutting down production" because of us. My daughter and I were both taken aback by this unwelcoming attitude, but hoped this would be the end of our problems. It was not.

The morning of the wedding was flurried and rushed, as the ceremony was to take place at noon. My daughter was running late from having hair and makeup completed, and we arrived at Lynfred (45 minutes from our home) an hour before the ceremony with just enough time to change. As soon as my daughter walked in, she was met by Lisa. My daughter asked to be shown to the room. Lisa seemed confused, and my daughter explained what we had been told by Susan on Sunday. In front of the wedding party, the bride, the groom's family, and Lynfred patrons, Lisa stated in a nasty tone of voice, "You didn't really think $150.00 covered that, did you?". My daughter was at a loss for words. We had initially planned for everyone to get ready at home until Susan had told us about the complimentary room, but now there was no time. When I arrived and was told about the problem, I spoke with a lady by the name of Kristin. In very short order, Kristin, who seemed our only advocate, apologized for any confusion and showed us to the American room my daughter had chosen. She rushed to get ready, with our photographer busily trying to take photographs in the process.

Approx 15 minutes before the ceremony, the general manager, Andres Basso, knocked on the door of the room and asked to be let in, telling me there was a problem. Wanting to shield my daughter from any further issues, I spoke with him outside the room. He was quite abrupt and rude, and informed me that unless we provided a VALID credit card immediately to pay the $350 room fee, the wedding would not take place. I was speechless. I explained what we had been told by Susan, but he obviously did not want to hear it. I immediately called my husband, explained the situation, and asked him to handle it. Andres was not pleased that I would not simply turn over a credit card to him on the spot.

I later learned from my husband that this man had run the credit card he had on file since our February payment prior to speaking with me, thus the snooty "VALID credit card" statement. It had not gone through, since our information had changed. After a somewhat heated discussion about the room fee, my husband agreed to pay $50 additional, the amount of the fee for moving the boxes (a point Andres again brought up). My husband told Andres that we would not pay a full night's room rate when we would be there for less than 2 hours, and when it had been his employee at fault. Andres told him Susan was a "part time employee, and did not have the authority" to make such an offer. He also told my husband that the room was "not in the signed contract", therefore he expected payment. Andres continued to be rude and snobbish, and put a damper on what should have been a perfect wedding.

Lynfred is a beautiful building. My daughter and I have enjoyed their wine over the last year, and her wedding photographs are gorgeous. The ceremony was sweet and touching, with hardly a dry eye. But Lynfred most definitely put a damper on the day. The staff was truly terrible at customer service. Attempting to charge our credit card without our consent is also quite illegal. It was very obvious that the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing, and they have no understanding of the term, "hospitality". They were disjointed, disorganized, arrogant, and frankly, criminal. I would absolutely not recommend this location for any type of event. If you choose to not heed this warning, please be very careful with what you sign, and take the word of their staff for what it is worth. Absolutely nothing.

If you are looking for a winery in the area that I would recommend, please see my review of Cooper's Hawk in South Barrington.

ADDENDUM: A member of Lynfred staff has responded to this review under the Lynfred B&B post, which you may want to read, particularly if you are planning any type of event at this location. There has been no apology made or responsibility taken for the issues we experienced. I continue to stand by this review, and feel that though their wines may be enjoyable, their customer service with the issue we experienced was incredibly poor.

Lynfredwine, Guest Relations Manager at Lynfred Winery, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Dear Readers,

Any business celebrating over three decades in today’s economy seems astonishing but a winery celebrating 34 years in Illinois… well we consider that to be pretty amazing! We could not be here without the love and support of our amazing customers that have become a part of the Lynfred family over the past three decades. We built the winery on not only amazing wine but a beautiful facility as well as outstanding hospitality. I believe, that if you were to read all reviews of Lynfred Winery, on Trip Advisor and other sites as well, you will find that we always respond kindly and respectively to reviews (especially those with constructive criticism).

We have, with much sincere contemplation, decided that our side of the story is not relevant, nor warranted in regards to the reviewer, and the best thing we can do is to invite you to visit Lynfred and truly experience the amazing hospitality we have been known for over 30 years.

Your friend in wine,

The Lynfred Winery Family

Reviewed 5 October 2013

Lynfred Winery has really good wines. They change their tastings by the month, so you can keep coming back. My husband and I are in the wine of the month club, so it does bring us back each month to taste. You also receive discounts on other store items by being in the club. They have wine cellar tours on the weekend, it is a do not miss event! The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. Great place to take out of town friends for a visit. Would give Lynfred a thumbs up!