“A hotel that tries but does not succeed”

Aloft Chicago O'Hare
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Rosemont
Reviewed 17 March 2014

My girlfriend (now fiancee) stayed at this hotel over the weekend before St. Patrick's Day. We originally chose this hotel for its reputation as a more upscale boutique hotel. Immediately upon arriving to the room it was clear that while the design concept tried to meet the expectations of a true boutique hotel, this stay was going to fall short. While the room was cleaned to a minimum standard, it could have been better, as there was dust and grime around the tiles in the bathroom and shower. The handles for the sink and shower were loose to the point that the could fall off if pulled too hard. The walls were also very thin, allowing for any hallway noise to pass into the room. Do not stay in a room next to the skywalk on the 2nd level, as you will hear nothing but loud drunks coming back from the bars between 2am-4am. Lastly, we also got stuck in a room where the environmental controls had not been hooked up yet, leaving us with no ability to turn on the air circulation fan, or control the heat or cooling. Upon discovering the problems with the environmental controls, I reported it to the front desk, who offered to move us to a different room or to have the maintenance staff repair it in the morning. We decided to have it repaired the next day while we were sightseeing in Chicago. While getting breakfast the next morning I reminded the front desk staff that they said the repairs were going to be done that day, and we left the room at approximately 11:00am. After a long day of sightseeing we returned to the room at approximately 11:00pm, only to find that not only had no room service been performed that day, but that it was clear that no maintenance staff visited the room or tried any repairs. I then went to the front desk who told us that the only other option was to move us to a different room, which we did despite the hassle so we could get a decent amount of sleep. The staff at the front desk was nice, however the team as a whole needs to work to provide better customer service, making sure that things like this are taken care of for guests. After all of this added together, we will definitely not be staying at an Aloft hotel again.

Room Tip: Stay at one of the other nearby hotels that are within the same price range.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Purists apparently cringe at these properties. They are trendy and have a industrial feel (and aroma to them). I'd stayed at this location when it first opened and with a few aesthetic issues in the room it is as clean and comfortable and trendy as it was when it opened. The addition of the entertainment district adds to its allure expecially on a snowy day.

My quick overnight turned onto 2 nights because of another raging blizzard. The double windows facing the Outlet mall allowed me to see takeoffs from ORD and the white out conditions during the bulk of the storm. The van in spite of the crappy weather maintained its schedule. Don't believe the grumpy flight crews -- the vans keep their schedules. Front desk staff helped out too by holding the room I'd had in case my 10am flight cancelled.....it did.

The room was large enough and comfortable -- the bed comfortable and the shower perfect. The jury is out on the dispensers of body wash and shampoo but they seemed to be as good as a hotel bar of soap. Food was ok -- drinks while a tad pricey were drinks. If you need other food, you can walk across the parking area to several restaurant/bar/clubs. There's a movie nearby too.

Overall, a really nice place -- I think I'd like to sit with a drink in the firepit courtyard adjacent to the bar if there wasn't 10 inches of snow on the ground

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Stayed here for 1 night for an event at Allstate Arena. I've found the Aloft format does vary a bit by location [or room?]. This property seemed to have a room on the smaller side, with no real closet to speak of. That made it feel cluttered with more than one guest, since there's not a good spot to stow a couple suitcases. However, it's overall pretty comfortable.

The key to this property is the location adjacent to the new Rosemont entertainment district. So you have a lot of dining and nightlife options within walking distance. Same is true for the new outlet mall across the street. However, you should probably check reviews for these various places before you stay here just for that purpose; I was a little underwhelmed.

Parking is in an adjacent garage and a bit expensive for the greater O'hare area as you're paying for the proximity to other event venues.

Did not use the pool or gym.

Had a shaky experience at the the hotel bar. Aloft in general portrays their bar as a destination of sorts. Here the bartender told us their drink menu was obsolete and so unavailable, and that the food was all microwave/convection stuff so not to bother. Capped it off with terrible service.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I just stayed this past weekend for a business trip. I had to bring my baby and my sister to watch the baby. The room was extremely small for us. I couldn't put the baby bed up. There was no room. I would have changed hotels if my meeting wasn't here. No high chairs so we had to travel with one. No option for a microwave in room for baby needs. No restaurant made it difficult. Front desk was friendly and helpful. Liz did a wonderful job with our event. Thank you for her getting me a baby bed even though I didn't use it. Did request room cleaning and didn't get it. Very cold in lobby area for a baby. Breakfast lady was awsome. They have good sandwiches and lots of snack foods. If I had been alone my opinions would be different. FYI taxis are very expensive here. $47 TO THE CITY ONE WAY. AND $6 to mall. Wish the hotel was more accommodating to get to the mall with transportation.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I had to attend a travel show at the Rosemont convention center, and booked my stay at Aloft, because of the location as the center and restaurants are within walking distance from the hotel.
Even the rooms are a little bit small, they are trendy, very clean and beautiful.
What made my stay so special was the staff. They were very friendly and helped us in each way, making sure that we had a fabulous stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
scott g, General Manager at Aloft Chicago O'Hare, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

I am glad you had a perfect stay. Thanks for the positive review and for acknowledging the staff. We hope to serve you again soon.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

It's a typical Aloft- trendy, clean, smaller rooms, no frills.. Its exactly what you see in pics. This one is close to airport but you can't walk. To get there you have to wait for their van that picks you up at the airport, running every half an hour (at 15 and 45 past). The shuttle will also take you to train station but no where else. They do not have a restaurant but across the street from hotel there is tons of food. They do have a bar/lounge (which was actually pretty packed) and also a stand where you can purchase breakfast sandwiches, coffee and snacks (apples, bananas, yogurt, chips etc). There is no freezer in room just a mini fridge. The staff was okay, borderline indifferent. They forgot to put my coworkers ice pack in the freezer which she left with them the night
before, and weren't very apologetic. She wasn't too happy.

Overall though I think it's a solid clean choice. It's a nice change from typical hotel setup with the trendy decor, black lights etc. To me it feels like the Virgin America (Airline) of hotels.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Van runs regularly from O'Hare to the hotel, twice an hour, normally a fairly quick drive to the hotel. Upon arrival the front desk can be a hit and miss with being friendly and welcoming, if they are busy expect to be rushed through the check in process. The rooms are well stocked with supplies and coffee, tea, and water. The overall conditions of the rooms are starting to deteriorate since I've been staying here over the past two years. Last time the carpet had stains on it, tiling in shower had calking everywhere that had not been cleaned up, and the beds are starting to become flat and uncomfortable. The mattress like to moves on top of basic platform bed.

The location of the hotel is the best part. It is right beside all the restaurants and bars in Rosemont. There are plenty of places to eat, drink, and stay entertained all within a 5 minute walk. Also a new fashion outlet mall has been built behind the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thanks for the review. The hotel is in a great location. I apologize for the carpet. We are in the process of replacing the carpet in our guestrooms.