“Great Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
McAllen, Texas
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

I have been here twice. I must say that the hotel is very clean, though I am not impressed by design of front desk. However, the staff make it truly special. The housekeepers were fantastic, and the decor, though modern, was impeccably clean. The restaurants are very good. However, the food in the events I attended was amazing. I have never enjoyed a conference as much as I did here. There is a lot of modern art and looks almost like a museum, though that is far from my cup of tea, though I can appreciate the value of that. The location is near OHare, but also very close (walking distance) to some great restaurants, a pretty good shopping mall, and a casino. It is a bit out of the way from Chicago though, but I felt very safe walking in the area. I will continue to try and stay here as long as my budget allows it. Again, not too keen on some of the aesthetics, but the people and service there are excellent.

Room Tip: Learn how to use a Keurig coffee maker.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Fresno, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Nice room, modern feel. Shuttle runs every 20 minutes. Close to outlet stores and good restaurants. Room service was pretty good. Bath products were above average. Showers are very modern. Bed comfortable. Overall great stay

Room Tip: Ask for upgrade cost to a jr suite. Good value
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

A good rate can be had for this property by using one of the online discount hotel services. Study up and learn how they work, and if you do just that, then you can land yourself a very good deal here. Join the hotel's loyalty club and you will enjoy both complimentary Internet access and a late check-out.

This is a great hotel and its staff are both gracious and accommodating. The only room for improvement that was obvious to me is that the guest room bathrooms could be cleaner. Seriously, management and staff at the InterContinental Chicago O'Hare, the dark tiling and finishes in the johns are somewhat unforgiving insofar as they do a very poor job of concealing places where a spray and a cleaning rag have not visited in some time. Perhaps the dark finishes make it harder for housekeeping staff members to detect some of their missed spots in the bathrooms where some cleaning is obviously required. I do not know. Anyway, TL;DR, this is a good property. Recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Maclock
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We recently found ourselves stranded at O'hare Airport for the night and although given a voucher to another hotel (by the airline), we decided to stay here because you can always count on an Intercontinental. The hotel did not disappoint. The front desk person could sense our exhaustion upon arrival and provided us with a wonderfully spacious (and quiet!) corner room. The room was beautiful, as was the bathroom and, after a long day in limbo, the shower/in-room sundries seemed heaven sent.

Room service is 24 hours, but switches over to cold items only after midnight. We got in in just enough time to order hot food and it was very good (arrived piping hot and in a reasonable amount if time).

The airport shuttle service was rather efficient (running about every 20 minutes) and we got to our terminal in no time.

Absolutely zero complaints and we would definitely stay here again if we ever found ourselves in the area.

Room Tip: You will love it here...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

What do you do when your flight sits on the tarmac for 2 hours and you miss your last connecting flight out? Get into a long, winding line that resembles the Candyland trail. Luckily, I booked through my company and was able to bypass the line and choose from ICG at $160/night or the Hilton at $260/night. The frugal fanny in me opted for ICG to save my company a few bucks and what a GREAT CHOICE!

Anything near O'Hare means you're no where close to downtown Chicago. That said, this ICG is located next to The Capital Grille and the Fashion Outlets, which looked like a spot that could do some plastic damage. The check in agent was soft-spoken, but friendly and efficient. The room was clean, sleek, modern, and decent in size. The decor wasn't extremely fancy, but inviting and comfortable. For a last minute reservation, this was certainly a pleasant (and welcomed) surprise!

Not a fan of the Holiday Inns, but if all ICGs are like this.... I might have to leave Marriott and Hilton.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Illinois City, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

The shuttle picked me up at the Blue line and dropped me at the hotel around 9:30 p.m on July 4th. There were at least 3 men standing out front and 1 in the lobby, yet nobody offered to carry my bags. I lugged them to the counter, where I was shocked to see a large group (at least 30) of recently arrived international travelers trying to check in and others standing around waiting with tons of bags, again receiving no help with their bags. Their check in was taking forever - due to the fact that there were only TWO check in stations open. On a holiday weekend, especially such a huge holiday in Chicago, this is unacceptable. When it was finally my turn, the man who checked me in was very rude and short. I always give a cash deposit due to the fact that it takes forever for the deposit to be credited back on my card. This man has the nerve to say in snobby tone "We prefer a credit card." Unless it's hotel policy to refuse cash and only take credit, please keep your opinion to yourself as to MY personal financial decisions!

The rooms, however, are this hotels saving grace. They are huge! The bathroom is amazing, even though the sink is a little strange and splashes all the water out of itself, so don't sit anything on the floor near it. The décor is really cool, has soooo much room to store clothing and anything else you'd bring. This hotel would be great for kids as there is ample room to play and also to store strollers, pack and plays, etc, without being cramped.

The shuttle is unreliable. It's supposed to run every 20 minutes on the hour, but I arrived downstairs at 7:04 p.m and the shuttle was sitting outside the front door, driverless. I get inside and wait about 5 minutes. I then get out and was told by the valets and doormen that I had "missed" the 7:00 running. Doubtful, since it isn't possible to get to the airport or back in 4 minutes, but the driver is nowhere in sight. So I start walking to the train station. I'm no more than 2 blocks away, walking in the rain, and the SHUTTLE DRIVES BY, heading to the train station.

My checkout on 7/6 was much more pleasant, it was a different man and he was very cheery and helpful. They still lacked someone to carry my bags, but at least the desk clerk and also the shuttle driver for this morning was amazing. I would stay here again due to the awesome rooms but it wouldn't be my first choice due to the majority of the staff being rude/uncaring and it's location being so far from anything. By far, this is the worst service I've ever received at a 4 or more star hotel.

Room Tip: If you like to sleep in the dark, I'd suggest bringing 2 chip clips to clip the curtains togethe...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank svaught06
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Loews Chicago O'Hare Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear svaught06,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns regarding our hotel. I am very pleased with your positive comments regarding our bedroom and bathrooms especially the decor.

I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with the level of service you have received and with the hotel shuttle. It is certainly not the standard that we would like to set. Your feedback are highly appreciated and will be used towards the improvement on these areas mentioned on your review.

Once again, thank you for you comments and I hope that we get another chance to provide you with a better service in the future.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare
Greenville, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

We got a great last minute price on this beautiful hotel over the 4th of July weekend. The room was beautiful, the front desk staff was friendly and helpful and the parking was reasonable for Chicago standards. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple