Strathmore
The White Cliffs Hotel(St Margaret's at Cliffe)
US$170
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Free Internet
US$117
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe ground floor suitefruit juicetinabreakfastcouchowner
Reviewed 14 August 2012

My brother-in-law booked my sister and I in to this excellent B&B when we had to visit the area to deal with making funeral arrangements. Tina and her husband were extremely considerate, flexible and attentive. We re-booked with our families when we had to return to the area for the funeral itself and again, we were treated with the utmost consideration. For the first visit I had the suite to myself, which was so open and clean and welcoming, with french doors on to the patio/driveway and tea provided. We could not have been treated better. On our second visit, I gave up the suite for my sister and her family and my husband and I had the upstairs bedroom. This was also very comfortable. My sister commented specifically on the comfy pillows! Each room had TV, bowls of fruit available (bananas, oranges and apples) as well as tea/coffee-making facilities. Breakfasts on both visits were perfect and tailored to our tastes. If one of us wanted 3 sausages and another just one or one of us wanted two eggs and another extra bacon, this was NOT a problem for Tina. There was a good choice of cereals, yoghourts, even home-made jam, fruit-juices and toast. My only criticism would be that skirt hangars were not routinely provided and I really do hate not being able to hang skirts up properly - although to be fair, Tina found some when we asked. Also to her credit, Tina coped well with us arriving in the suite for breakfast still in our pyjamas and that was the joy of having the suite - which gave us the privacy we really needed at what was a difficult time. The village is quiet but easily accessed from Deal & Dover and the very good Smugglers Inn in the village itself is just a 10 minute walk through the fields. It would be a bit pricey for me to stay longer than a night or two and I think Tina should offer "deals" to bring her customers back or encourage longer stays but that should not undermine what is a really delightful B&B which I have no hesitation in recommending.

Room Tip: If you want space to relax - and have your breakfast in privacy - go for the suite!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank RubyRundell
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We were visiting St Margarets for a wedding and stopped at a near-by hotel on the way down where I had second thoughts about booking a B&B rather than a hotel - but I could not have been more wrong. Strathmore is a complete delight. Tina, the proprietor, has thought of everything to make her guests’ stay as pleasurable as possible. The house is immaculate, our room and bed incredibly comfortable and the breakfast wonderful (a huge choice). I really cannot fault Strathmore, the welcome is genuinely warm and friendly, nothing is too much trouble and there is ample car parking right outside the door. Strathmore is a gem, if only all B&B’s were like this!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Kate B
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We stayed at Strathmore for The Open at Sandwich in 2011 and can say that it was a wonderful BnB. The rooms are comfortable, the breakfasts as good as we have had anywhere and Tina is an excellent host, making us all feel really welcome. We are looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank patricklatham
Reviewed 11 May 2012

In over 28 years of staying at B&Bs throughout England. this is the finest stay I've ever had.
Not only are the facilities wonderful (clean, quiet, spacious and very comfortable), but the proprietor is one of the nicest ever. Tina and her family were absolutely the most wonderful hosts you could ask for. They went above & beyond the call of duty to be helprful & kind.
The breakfasts were outstanding, with an extensive variety of highest quality components, and in great volume.
We were very pleasantly impressed with all of them & wanted to put them in our packets & take them with us!

Room Tip: look for a quiet location
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Byron F
Reviewed 18 November 2011

St. Margarets is delightful, which unfortunately cannot be said for this B&B. The breakfasts were miniscule/coffee & tea like dishwater. The room was fairly comfortable. However, we paid for a bed and BREAKFAST! We recommend St. Margarets village but not this B&B.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple