“Good Hotel”

Best Western Inn of St. Charles
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Saint Charles
Reviewed 7 March 2014

The rooms were clean, roomy and comfortable. Breakfast was satisfying for a group of teenage boys. We had a problem with one of the 5 rooms, and they immediately moved us to another room. I really had hoped they would give us 5 rooms on the same floor but they did not. But they did put us in a newly renovated section. Every nice rooms.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Arpit P, General Manager at Best Western Inn of St. Charles, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Thank you for the great review on TripAdvisor, we greatly appreciate it! I am glad you enjoyed all the amenities our hotel has to offer. We usually put all groups on the same floor but at max capacity and with in house guests staying over sometimes we are not able to. See you next time!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I've stayed in lots of hotels, from 5 stars to -0. This hotel was a reasonable cheap stay, and could be good. Check in at 8pm on on a Thursday was quick, and pleasant. Was given an upgrade to the Executive Building due to construction. Not sure what made it the Executive Building, other than it was a brick self contained building with rooms and hallways versus driving up to a parking space and accessing the hotel door /room door opens directly to outside.

The room was comy and spacious. Very spacious. It was also very clean and had good towels.....I like a good towel! Lots of plugs for electrical stuff, good wi-Fi connection. It was a good basic room, at a good basic price.

Breakfast the next morning was yummy: the offerings were make your own waffle machine, bagel w/cream cheese, toast, hard boiled eggs, cereal, juice, fresh fruit, coffee, tea. I was pleasantly surprised by the choices.

So why the two stars:

When I tried to turned on the t.v. I noticed they had a "Clean Remote" in a fancy holder. It advertised they had gone to a remote that was easier to clean and maintain. It's ironic that the white remote had finger print smudges on it. They were right....it was easy to clean with a few swipes of a tissue.

When I did turn on the T.V. All I got was voice, no picture. I called the front desk to ask if there was a trick. Maybe the tv also doubled as a radio and I was on the "wrong" option. Though very friendly and empathetic, the front desk didn't have advice and no one could help. She did offer to move me to another room with a working tv, but I would need to come get the key. The idea of running across the parking lot in my PJ in -10 degree cold was not pleasant. So I tried turning the tv off and on several times, and pushing every button on the remote again. Don't know what I did but the black screen came to life! For all I know it just took time to warm up?! Yeah! Called the front desk and the clerk was almost as happy as me. The clerk was very polite and DID offer a solution, but I felt she should have been familiar with the tv options to offer possible suggestions or offered to the run the key over instead of inconveniencing the guest.

The room temperature was good, especially since it was cold outside. I admit I am a light sleeper, and the heater fan turning on and off kept waking me up. I woke up enough to notice and fell asleep almost immediately every time the fan turned on. The fan was on low, and I took the bed farthest from the fan.

In the morning I went to shower, and couldn't get the shower head to work. I pulled on the knob on the bathtub shower, pushed it, and turned it but couldn't get it to work. I called the front desk to ask if there was a trick to getting the shower to work. The clerk responded he had no idea because he was new, but he could try housekeeping if I wanted. Yes..I want that. Unfortunately, housekeeping was not answering at 7am in the morning. He called back to tell me this, and ask if the water worked. Water works, not the show head. After more insistence on my part that I really needed a shower before leaving for a conference, he said he would call the manager. The manager called me, asked the same battery of questions, and offered to be there in 10 or so minutes. Between all the calls back and forth, it was now 7:30 and I can hear myself being late. But I REALLY needed a shower! The manager came, checked out the shower head while I looked on in my pjays, and confirmed that the shower head knob was broken. He offered to come back with the key to a new room and I could move over there. We compromised. He came with a key, I showered in a room down the hallway, and hopped back to my original room to finish getting dressed. I had already packed all my belongings during all the shower head conversation and waiting just to get out as quickly as possible.

Luckily, the hotel was just a 5-10 minute drive from the conference center. I was able to grab toast, fruit, and a coffee at the great comp breakfast at check out and eat while driving. I made it to the conference only 30 minutes late for the Keynote Speaker.

Yes, I would stay here again because the staff took care of the problems I had, they were nice, it's a convenient location, and the price was good. Would have loved it if I had been offered some type of discount, if only $5, for the inconvenience of waiting 45 minutes to get a basic shower but..... If similar things happened a second time it would be a different story.

It was good, but...

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Arpit P, General Manager at Best Western Inn of St. Charles, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. On behalf of the entire hotel, my sincere apologies are to you for the inconvienances that you incountered during your stay with us.
Our hotel usually has a high customer satisfaction rate, however sometimes we fall short of our goal. You can contact myself directly and I will be more than happy to make it up to you on your next stay with us with a free upgrade in our whirlpool suite. If there is anything else you had in mind please let me know and I will work the best I can with you. Seeing our guest happy is what makes us happy. As you can see by most of the reviews, we generally have the guest best interest in mind.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Staff at check in was polite and engaged. The Housekeeping staff was very pleasant and efficient. I stayed during a snowstorm, and despite the continual accummulation, the staffkept the parking area and sidewalks clear. I have stayed here and definitely will stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Arpit P, General Manager at Best Western Inn of St. Charles, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Hello Irving

We are happy to know that you have enjoyed your stay. It is our goal to make all our guest have an enjoyable stay. We love having you here. See you again.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I stayed at this Best Western while in town for a friends wedding. I chose it because it was close to where I needed to be, and it was a decent price.
I arrived for check-in, and the girl at the front desk was great! Julie, or Julia was her name. She was quick in checking me in, I asked her for some advice on where to get food, etc. and she was so helpful.
I went to my room and got things settled. I was in the "main" building, which basically means I was in the cheaper, exterior entrance rooms. They also have an "executive" building with indoor room entrances. The rooms are small, dark, dingy, and extremely outdated. I've stayed in no name, off the beaten path motels that were more updated and bright than this.
I did not expect a Best Western to be so much like a motel...not a hotel.
All was fine and quiet for the most part, I stopped in the lobby for some coffee, and chatted with the desk girl a bit.
The next morning. I went to the main lobby to grab a bite from the breakfast available. Most of the food is nothing but sweets, and the lobby was so crowded with other guests, with very little room to move. I grabbed a snack and went back to my room.
Was just about to fall back asleep, when there was banging on the door.. I answered the door..."Housekeeping".
I said no, I didn't need anything, then was YELLED at and scolded for not having a "do not disturb" sign on the door.
Check-out is at 11am...and let me warn you, they mean 11am SHARP!!! I was literally zipping my suitcase and about to walk out the door at 10:58..9..whatever..and the guy from the front desk was calling my room phone and harshly asking if I was staying or going.

Now let me say...I was warned not to stay at this hotel by more than a handful of people. They seem to not have a good reputation here. But despite that, I figured I could handle it. I will never stay there again. Staying in a hotel, whether it's for business or pleasure should be a pleasant experience. Relaxing, inviting, comfortable, and this place is NOT.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank amberd1388
Arpit P, General Manager at Best Western Inn of St. Charles, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

FOLKS please look at the review right below you.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We were nearby for a night to attend a family party. This was a prefect hotel for our location and needs. The room was very clean and comfortable. It was an easy stay with no problems.

The hot chocolate at breakfast was perfect for our snowy morning departure!

Room Tip: We had room 186 on the ground floor of the detached building. It was a very quiet location.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Arpit P, General Manager at Best Western Inn of St. Charles, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear Guest

I am thrilled to hear that you had a pleasant stay and enjoyed our guest rooms and location!
Glad you liked the hot chocolate in our new coffee machine.
We love having you here.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

The room was spacious and clean, and the breakfast was adequate. What was not adequate was the staff. We requested a late check out upon our arrival, which was granted, and verified the late check out the night before departure. Apparently the note was not entered into the system either time (or the staff didn't care to pay attention to the notes), and we were woken up THREE times before even the USUAL check out time. The front desk called our room at 9am, and 10am, and housekeeping banged on our door 3 consecutive times between that. Normal check out time is 11, and after working long, difficult hours all weekend, I expected to be able to rest. The clerk at the front desk *barely managed to say he was sorry, and I find it unacceptable. There are other hotels in the area with comparable rates that will ensure that our needs are a priority. This BW did not.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank pinkskulls
Arpit P, General Manager at Best Western Inn of St. Charles, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Dear Guest

You booked the reservation through Central Reservation and requested we put you in a quiet area with the $67.99 plus tax rate which is our 3 night promo in our main building.
So our team gave you a free upgrade in the executive building from the beginning. You stayed with us for 4 nights checking in on Thursday.
I spoke with our front desk clerks Julia and Lauren who state that you were inquiring about a late checkout and with our hotel policy of Noon check out complimentary otherwise there would be a nominal late fee you were not happy and did not mention that you would still take the noon checkout. Otherwise they would have put it in the system. You checked out at 12:30pm and still forgot your shoes. Our staff had to go inside the room and you thought it is ok to start yelling at them.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

We had a funeral to attend in the area so decided to stay here instead of a family members home. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. The room was clean and had a refrigerator, which we loved! We've stayed here a number of times and have been happy each and every time. I like the fact that we had a choice between an outdoor access room or an interior access room. Can't wait to see the new lobby when they're done renovating! They also have a very lovely pool area which is nice to hang out in during the summer months.

Room Tip: The executive class rooms are very spacious and well decorated.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Arpit P, General Manager at Best Western Inn of St. Charles, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thanks for the great review. Hope everything went well at the funeral and wish you all the best.
I am happy to see you enjoyed your stay with us. Seeing our guests happy is what makes us happy.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Charles
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#2 of 2 in Geneva
The Herrington Inn & Spa

Been to Best Western Inn of St. Charles? Share your experiences!