YHA Ironbridge Coalport
The Tontine Hotel(Ironbridge)
  • Room Service
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Restaurant
All reviewsself catering kitchenyouth hostelchina museumgames roombunk bedsgreat locationhalf termlovely cafecar parkblists hillindustrial revolutionensuite roomlarge loungefamily roomper daycommunal areasrooms are basic
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 July 2014

First time visit to a YHA and was very impressed with the experience. Excellent location with a car park immediately opposite. Although arrived early we received a warm welcome a told that our room was ready and we could book in at any time. Tried lunch which was tasty and good value.
Full credit to the staff

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
YHAIronbridge, Manager at YHA Ironbridge Coalport, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear that your first experience with YHA was such a positive one. Great to hear the team welcomed you so warmly and that you enjoyed eating in our cafe. I hope to welcome you back to YHA Ironbridge in the future.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We are a group of 5 ladies in our 50's who enjoy weekends away, we were a little unsure of a Youth Hostel but are willing to give anything a go once, it was excellent value for money.
We had a private room to sleep 6 with an en-suite bathroom, we were only there for 1 night and was a good nights sleep in a comfortable, clean bed with a terrific cooked breakfast.
We will certainly be stopping in a Youth Hostel again and would recommend them.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the carpark do get very warm as sun shines directly on to them try to get one around the other side if you can.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
YHAIronbridge, Manager at YHA Ironbridge Coalport, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review of YHA Coalport. I am delighted to hear that you had such a good weekend and that you are now converted to staying in Youth Hostels! I hope to welcome you back to Ironbridge soon.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

This youth hostel is located right next to the China Museum in Ironbridge and is in a great location with relatively easy access (via bus, or a nice walk along the road) towards the Iron Bridge and other sights. The rooms were clear and the breakfasts/dinners we had at the YHA were all very nice. There were several bathrooms/showers on the separate floors although I believe there was too few given the number of people staying at the hostel - granted I did not stay in a large room so other areas might have had en-suite bathrooms. Be aware that you have to turn on the water heating apparatus using cords that dangle from the ceiling - I didn't realize this the first time I showered and was very confused as to how to get warm water.

Otherwise the hostel is in a nice location - there is a bus stop nearby to take you to the sights around town although we still never figured out why the "museum bus stop" line wasn't running while we were there. It may only run later in the summer - if you go during "off-peak" times, however, be aware you might be in for a long, albeit scenic, walk.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank RobC614

Thank you for your excellent feedback I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay at YHA Coalport. Yes we do have a number of ensuite rooms available for guests so not everyone has to use the shared facilities. The free bus service provided by the Ironbridge museums stops right outside the hostel but does only operate at weekedns and school holidays from Easter to September. We will be delighted to see you in Ironbridge again in the future and hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels around the UK.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

I stayed for one night in a private room, not en suite but did have a sink and there was a shared shower / loo just four yards down the corridor. I knew not to expect luxury at a YHA and wondered if that would be a problem, but the staff were so helpful and friendly, I soon stopped worrying. It was very late at night when I arrived - 10.30pm - and I was the last arrival by many hours, but the young woman who greeted me at reception could not have been more kind and pleasant. The same staff member was up at dawn to make breakfast, but was cheerful as ever, and turned out some of the best-cooked breakfast bacon I've had for a long time. You may have to be a bit selective with the breakfast range on offer here, but the bacon was better than I've had in five star hotels, really excellent. And all this for at total of £30 for private bedroom and breakfast - unbeatable value.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
YHAIronbridge, Manager at YHA Ironbridge Coalport, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Thank you for your superb comments about our hostel and our team. I will ensure that you fantastic feedback is passed on to the member of staff on duty during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to YHA Coalport in the future.

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

We checked in last Sunday (13th) for 7 nights. The staff were lovely and helpful. With it being the school holidays the hostel was quite busy and although we had to have a shared bathroom we were directly next door to it so it was probably just as close as an en suite anyway. There were family groups staying earlier in the week and we did find that there was very little sound proofing which did mean it was like there was a herd of elephants tap dancing some nights. On our last night there was a cheerleading squad staying and they were very loud!! Thankfully the hostel staff were already on it when we went to speak to them about this morning. The hostel is a great location for the Ironbridge museums. The instructions for the car park weren't always clear and when we asked in the hostel it seemed like only one or two members of team knew what was going on. However on the other hand the ticket does work in the other museum car parks so it's one price for parking at multiple museums.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Girltaristhan
YHAIronbridge, Manager at YHA Ironbridge Coalport, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of YHA Coalport. Iam pleasd to hear that you had a great time at the hostel. We do have a number of new team members this year so I have taken this opportunity to clarify the parking procedures with them. We look forward to welcoming you back to Ironbridge in the not too distant future.