“This could be so much better than it was!”

White Nancy Cruising Restaurant Boat
Reviewed 15 May 2013

My main objection was that when dining I would prefer to have our own table for two, rather than sharing a table for four with two random strangers. Heavily scented ladies with bad teeth are not my idea of good table companions.
It should be sold as four tickets for the price of three, that way you would be sitting pretty with half decent friends.
The journey was pleasant enough, although they are breaking the law travelling at the speed they did.
The rules on speed are quite clear, as excess water flow disturbs wildlife, and damages the canal, but that was all but lost to this pair of muppets.
The food was just dreadful, soup was very rich with cream, my vegetable pie indeed contained vegetable, well just potatoes in a sauce made from the very same soup !!
The sweet was profiteroles probably frozen at some point in their miserable lives.
I would have preferred just a simple ploughmans with local produce, served with a local brew really.
I think having to serve up 12 hot meals from a galley is a tall order, and I know, I owned a narrow boat, and the rules are
always keep it simple.
The boat was grubby, I did not visit the toilet, but I heard it was interesting!
So, rip up the carpets, give the place a good scrub, and serve appropriate food, you may have a chance to make a success of the boat venture, if not your days are numbered.

4  Thank alisonmaynard

Reviewed 19 April 2013

I booked this canal cruise on the White Lady narrow-boat using Groupon at a very reasonable £12.50 per head for a party of 4. OK, the boat is a bit dated and cramped but we did have a very pleasant relaxing afternoon. The food which was quite hot and tasty consisted of Tomato Soup, Lancashire Hot Pot & Profiteroles. Nice pint of John Smith's Bitter.
The on-board toilets were pretty basic but fit for purpose.
The actual cruise suffered from a lack of views in what is a very picturesque part of the North West mainly because they are mostly hidden behind canal banks or wooded areas. The canal itself is in need of a serious amount of dredging as the silt not only makes the water unattractive but affects navigation.
Overall, quite enjoyable and worth the money, would we do it again, perhaps not.

6  Thank malcinblue
Reviewed 11 March 2013

What on earth was that all about. Dated canal boat rough on the edges. Food awfull dirty wine glass . Matt was a good guide not a view to be seen ,smelly canal. don't go 50 quid pluss drinks and service charge down the drain .Toilet filthy

17  Thank glassback