“Absolutely awful”
Review of England's Rose

England's Rose
Ranked #1 of 1 Postcombe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I came here for just one night with my mum after visiting my sick grandpa. On arrival we indicated that we wanted some space with a glass of wine to just chat quietly between eachother. The pub was brightly lit, loud and the drinks were ridiculously overpriced at £9.90 for just two small glasses from bottles. The room was AWFUL. Filthy carpet, mattresses that hurt your back with the springs very visible, the decor, completely mismatched and provided a very uncomfortable atmosphere. What we were most shocked at was at almost MIDNIGHT we were kept awake by the extreme loudness of the OWNERS television from the room opposite. We skipped breakfast and left the next day as soon as we could. Extremely overpriced. WILL NOT RECOMMEND!

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Hannah S

Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Great pub B&B close enough to Oxford, with a car, that caters for the locals and travellers alike. Fantastic selection of bottles real ales and a genuine hospitality on offer. The accommodation is a bit dated and higildy pigildy, it does remind you of the spare room at an elder relative, but it is sufficient for an overnight stop and good value. Breakfast is good although there isn't a selection on offer just an English, or any component of it, prepared how you like. There are many stories to hear and you are attended too so for the money it is great.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I didn't stay at the hotel however I was with a group having dinner in the Function Room at England's Rose after doing a long lovely hike in the area. Before this we had drinks on various days in the bar. It is a homely, fun and querky place with a real fire and friendly bar staff. The staff did their best to make us welcome. The food was good home style cooking and although the service was a bit slow (the food didn't come out all together) I found it very enjoyable. If you like a relaxed, homely style welcoming meal you will like this bar and restaurant.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Maybe I have been lucky before, but this was the worst B&B I have stayed in. I knew I had made a mistake with this place as soon as I stepped into the bar/reception. It felt very unwelcome and the owners seemed very badly organised.

The room I stayed in was very uncomfortable, despite being the only room at the B&B with an en suite shower room. Both of the mattresses were completely squashed flat in the middle and so the bed felt rock hard to lie on. To describe the mattresses as used/2nd hand would be a vast understatement as I am sure most people would throw away mattresses 10 times more comfortable than the ones in this room. One of the pillows in my room was also visibly very dirty.

The room was also very cold in the evening, over night and in the morning as the heating came on too late and was ineffective when on anyway. I actually ended up swapping the mattresses round (between the two twin beds), to have the marginally less squashed mattress on the bed closer to the radiator. I shouldn't have bothered as I was both freezing and very uncomfortable all night. I can not stress how bad these mattresses were!!

Unfortunately, in the morning I also discovered that the shower was extremely weak, which really brightened my mood!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Chris B
Reviewed 22 October 2013

The room I stayed in was very uncomfortable, despite being the only room at the B&B with an en-suite shower room. Both of the mattresses were completely squashed flat in the middle and so the bed felt rock solid to lie on. To describe the mattresses as used/second hand would be a vast understatement as I am sure most people would throw away mattresses 10 times more comfortable than the ones in this room. One of the pillows in my room was also visibly dirty.

The room was also very cold in the evening, over night and in the morning, with the heating not coming on early enough and being ineffective when on anyway. Finally, the shower was very weak to use.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Booked to stay for a week and found both Shelia (Landlady) and the other regular guests to be most welcoming. Room was clean and comfortable and excellent value for money. Evening meal available for £8.95 - good home cooked food!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I found the room very comfortable and the staff very helpful, polite and friendly.
The food was superb especially the Sunday Carvery!
all in all very good value and I shall be staying again and also recommending it to the company I work for as we have people always on courses in the area

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Christopher V

Been to England's Rose? Share your experiences!