“Traditional and really old country pub - Great food, ales and open fire”
Review of The Fountain Inn

The Fountain Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Ashurst
Price range: US$8 - US$24
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 7 April 2013

A really traditional country pub with roaring open fire and good selection of ales. Well worth a visit

Reviewed 4 April 2013

Very excited to have a child-free Bank Holiday afternoon to ourselves.
After some retail therapy, called into The Fountain for late lunch (knew they'd be open, checked before we set off but didn't book in case delayed).
After turning down first table (why would a waitress think an 'XXL' man would want to sit on a cramped 'low' table, is rather beyond me) settled on a table in the corner for four, but not busy.
OK, long story short!
Ordered drinks, half beer, bottle of wine & some water.
Wine we ordered not available, so we reordered.
Wrong bottle of wine came, not even the the right colour!
Starters arrived, yummy (special Goat's Cheese & Ham Hock) - eventually correct wine brought to table whilst eating starter (still no water!).
LONG WAIT... asked where our Main Courses were, "Coming!"
Others got their 'Main Course' before us. Still no water.
Waited 40 mins & when clearly they'd forgotten, we asked....NO APOLOGY - just delivered to table in both cases, luke warm & in my partner's case very small in portion size (Calves Liver, Bacon & Bubble n Squeak - blokes' food, anorexic portion). Got water after a reminder!
Forgoed dessert! Didn't leave a tip.
We know it was Easter Bank Holiday Monday but if the staff aren't as focused and interested from Friday to Monday better to not always be open & if supplies are running low better to say food unavailable than send 'scrimped' portions.
Attention to detail 24/7 please, Oh & ditch the 'young' waitress in the Granny-cardy - clearly elsewhere!

2  Thank EFC465
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Now run by the folks from the Royal Oak at Poynings. Initially thought the lunch menu was expensive, but the minute steak, chips and garnish @ £10 was very tasty; although the fish pie @ £14 is OTT - remember when the Pub did a great Arbroath Smokie for half this price. Suggest they look at what the Royal Oak does and try and ensure they suit all pockets.

New staff friendly - would I go back? Yes definitely.

1  Thank Robm9999
Reviewed 30 March 2013

After visiting this pub when it belonged to Whites I was pleased to hear it had new owners.
We visited a week ago and were very disapointed. Food was only warm, waitresses unfriendly and very expensive considering the type of menu on offer.
Wont be returning.

2  Thank Marcella S
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I'm not really big on reviews, but this is definitely worth reviewing!

It was my first visit to the fountain inn in the tiny village of ashurst after some friends had recommended it, and what a gem!

A group of six of us arrived at 1.30 on a packed Sunday lunchtime to a very warm welcome from alex the new landlord.
We had a lovely pint of local ale in the inglenook bar with roaring fires, before being shown to our table.

We all had starters, which included mussels, homemade corned beef hash, crab mayonnaise and confit of duck with poached rhubarb. Amazing! Moving on to the mains..
We all had roasts and the long horn beef I had was the best I have tasted. Our waitress told us that the meat is cooked over night in 'a bath' so by morning it is cooked rare all the way through! Others had lamb and pork and there wasn't anything left on their plates!

We didn't have room for pudding but the tables next to us did, and from what we overheard, I'll be making room for one next time!

I have already booked for my birthday in April, and am really looking forward to it. Hopefully we will have some decent weather so we can enjoy the beautiful gardens and terrace over the large pond.

Great food, great beers, great service, great atmosphere and great pub.

10/10