“beyond terrible”

Royal Relax Inn Fairmont City
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sauget
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

i still have nightmares about staying here. the room smelled very bad. we got bitten by mites. bath seal was mouldy. carpet was disgraceful i had to wear shoes at all times. electric sockets hanging off the walls exposing cables. microwave filthy. breakfast consisted of horrible cheap donut like things. coffee was bitter. the area was full of show bars and sleaze. burnt down houses. no restaurants. dangerous area. we were passing through on route 66 and well used to basic motels but this really was horrific. at the next town we met some locals who commented that they couldnt believe we came out of the area alive. not the place to stay if your two young girls. avoid.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
RoyalRelaxInn, Webmaster at Royal Relax Inn Fairmont City, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2016

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your opinions. I’m terribly sorry we failed to meet your needs. We’re involved in a continuous improvement process aimed at making the hotel better than ever before, and a lot has changed since your stay in 2013. I hope you will visit again and see how we’re getting better every day. You’ll be surprised by all the positive changes.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

We came in for a Cardinals game and stayed two days. It was nice that it was close to St. Louis and wasnt far from a Wal-Mart. The room was in pretty good shape. We didnt like that fact that the TV was plugged into a ceiling outlet and they had to run an extension cord to plug it in. If we would have brought kids with us we wouldnt have stayed. Also, you can tell they dont get a lot of business cause there was rust built up in the shower. When the shower turned on rust came out but just for a second. We showered there and took at bath. They have very nice hot water. The breakfast was honeybuns and muffins, thats something they should have said we ended up going to Collinsville and eating at Bob Evans and Dennys. It was a quick drive so it didnt bother us any.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Megan G

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m pleased you had a good experience with us although I regret that we couldn’t completely satisfy you. We have improved many things since your stay. We take real pride in our hotel, and I apologize if we let you down in any ways. We want you to have the best possible experience here, and we’re working toward complete satisfaction of all guests.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

The first impressions of the location aren't particularly great, there's a trailer park nearby and the local district appears to be pretty run down. However, the motel itself feels fairly secure with CCTV and a 24 hour reception monitoring the comings and goings of vehicles.

The room I stayed in a pretty poor state of repair, quite shabby. On the other hand it was clean and bug-free, and a cheap price to match. I could see some renovation works going on in other rooms, so I imagine it won't be long before the whole place is refurbished. Worth asking for one of the new rooms.

I found the reception staff polite and welcoming, and had a good chat with the manager who is quite passionate about building up his business and wants to improve the place, which is being done gradually.

It was a great location for the Cahokia Mounds, just turn right out of the motel and head a couple of miles up the road.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank smileyfarmerboy

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m pleased that you had a generally good experience with us, but I’m very concerned that we didn’t live up to your standards or expectations. We take great pride in our hotel, and I hope that shows. We’re also always working to get better. I hope you will give us another chance and see that we’re doing what we can to improve and enhance the guest experience.

Reviewed 8 January 2013

Took a trip to the Mounds for a sightseeing excursion. Stopped by the Royall Relax Inn. Cute little gal at the front desk. Nice room. You get what you pay for. I'd say it's improved since it's new ownership. Looks like they are working on remodeling as well. The area is greatly improving from it's predecessor days. I'd say this is a great place to stay, especially for those who are vacationing to the Cahokia Mounds. Plenty of great little Mom and Pop Mexican restaurants within minutes of the hotel.. Overall, I enjoyed my relatively short stay.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank ZackPrescott

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your opinions. We focus on offering great features and great prices. We’re involved in a continuous improvement process aimed at making the hotel better than ever before, and a lot has changed since your stay. I hope you will visit again and see how we’re getting better every day. You’ll be surprised by all the positive changes.

Reviewed 29 June 2011

My tip would be keep driving to find somewhere else to stay.
Staff were very rude, it was way over priced, the room disgusting.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank uk_beckylee

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your opinions. I’m terribly sorry that we failed to meet your needs and did not live up to your expectations. We take pride in our hotel and in providing a great place to stay for so many guests, and I deeply regret that we let you down. Perhaps you will give us another try in the future so we can do a better job of satisfying you. We’re always working to get better.

Hotel Manager

Been to Royal Relax Inn Fairmont City? Share your experiences!