“SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!”

LEGOLAND Discovery Center Chicago
Ranked #1 of 10 Fun & Games in Schaumburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Visit LEGOLAND Discovery Center and it's like you have just jumped into the world's biggest box of LEGO bricks! This indoor attraction offers 30,000 square feet of LEGO fun including two rides, a 4D movie theater, a build and test zone where kids can build their own LEGO creations, Miniland - the Chicago skyline built from 1 million LEGO bricks, a soft play area, LEGO Pirate Adventure Island, LEGO Factory Tour, Model Builder Workshop, LEGO Shop and Cafe.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Stairs / lift, Baby buggy parking, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 4 January 2009

Our family of 4 (kids ages 11 and 7) spent $80 to see maybe 5 rooms of Legos. It isn’t worth the money for what you get. This place is way overpriced.

First, we stood in line outside for about a half an hour. Once inside, we were directed to the Chicago room where you can see a layout of downtown Chicago. It was okay, but nothing to rave over. There were so many people that they held us in that room until the next room was clear. The next room is the Jungle room. You can see some monkeys, lizards, a hippo, a croc, and some people made out of Legos. Next, you go down a neon hall that leads to another large spider, then into a room with Batman, Darth Vader, R2D2, Indiana Jones, and a troll. After that, you can go on the Lego ride, which is very boring and slowly winds through a tunnel with more Lego stuff. You can go into the “Factory” to see how Legos are made. Now, don’t let this fool you. The real factory is not in this place of course. It’s a pathetic fake show that is geared towards young children. Each person does get a free Lego brick out of it though; however, I view it as 4 bricks for $80: the price of admission.

One post mentioned that you go to IKEA instead. I highly agree! We went there afterwards and probably enjoyed that place more!

16  Thank Andi P
Write a ReviewReviews (1,386)

Reviewed 4 January 2009

After receiving 4 Platinum passes as a gift we decided to check it out. We showed up on the Monday right after Christmas, Big mistake! Capacity is rated at 800 people and they had that by 11:00,they open at 10:00. We tried again on Tuesday arriving by 9:50 and already finding a line but not to bad. If you prepurchase tickets online or have passes you enter in the door on the right which is a much shorter line. Once in you will find a coat rack but you exit on the other side of the room which makes it very difficult to try and get back to the rack. Inside you will find many amazing Lego creations including a jungle, the city of Chicago skyline and a mid evil times dragon. They have a 4D movie a presentation of how a Lego brick is made and a short amusement ride. They try pretty hard but have a tough time of keeping the people traffic flowing. Once out you exit into (What else) a Lego store. We found out that the prices were anywhere from 1 to 3 dollars more per box than any Toy R Us etc, and also that this store is licensed out and not actually ran by Lego. While our 10 and 11 year olds enjoyed it we really can not see us going back again which makes us feel bad considering the cost of the annual passes we received. Best for younger kids.

3  Thank offagainChicagoland
Reviewed 2 January 2009

We were so excited! Legoland! In our own backyard?! The first "Discoverycenter" outside of Germany? My lego-addicted children (8 and 10) couldn't wait! And my parents visiting over the holidays loved the idea too. Add the fact that we could go to Ikea first and then celebrate my son's birthday at Rainforest Cafe--of course we'd drive from Milwaukee!!

Wish I'd read these reviews! Legoland is garbage and a waste of money! Read that sentence over and over until you refuse to spend your money on it. If you read no further--as this is a long one--I just want to get that message across. The rest of the review goes through specifics of our trip so you know why I feel this way.

It cost us over $80 (4 adults, 2 children), and that's with a discount and an internet fee. My husband made the observance that if it were cheaper, perhaps MORE people would be there. Not sure how they could crowd any more people in that place. Thankfully we had to wait outside in a long line in the freezing cold before we got in! I guess this served dual purposes for them--keep the crowds at bay and keep payroll down by not hiring enough staff. Lack of staff was evident throughout the place.

To really understand it: 1st room--tinytown Chicago~~ super cool! It's downtown Chicago in Lego, and it simulates day and night. Really, it's a "line" you're waiting in to get to the next room.
2nd room--jungle theme~~ okay... they TRY to make it fun by giving you a scratch-off quiz card. Boring. After you leave this room it just crashes and burns.
3rd "room"--hallway~~painted in dayglo colors; my husband said it was lava. That was lost on me. I felt like I was in a state fair haunted house.
4th room--hall of fame~~ life-size replicas of Indiana Jones, Batman, R2D2, Hagrid, Harry Potter, and Darth Vader. That's it. Dumb.
Now you're at the activities: Dragon ride, and upstairs to the 4-D movie, Laboratory and Sponge Bob "room", and Cafe.
Dragon Ride~~My three year old niece would find it boring. And if someone could explain the story... The sound system is terrible. Also we were skipped in line because the layout of the line-"system" is so terrible and the center is terribly understaffed.
4-D movie~~Totally Cool!! but at 12 minutes it was too short. It was the only thing worth paying for in the place.
Laboratory~~Shows how Legos are made? Maybe? The "presentation" is stretched out and placed inconveniently within a room that exits into--
The SpongeBob playroom~~ my kids have more Legos than are in here... and there's not enough space and the lighting is poor. They didn't even ask to play there.
Finally the cafe~~ one cash register?! 'nuff said.

The store is even pathetic! Save your money--go to Ikea!! Or if you need the Lego fix, go to the mall and look around the Lego store! Seriously, it has a Taj Mahal that's amazing!

Legoland is a waste of time and money. Most displays look like a guy with a huge collection of Legos put up a feature in a bank lobby. Lego is a cool corporation that totally missed the ball on this one. Save up and do a real Legoland like San Diego. If you can't afford that trip--just go to Ikea! We all had more fun there!

8  Thank opdobs
Reviewed 1 January 2009

We had a coupon $5 per person if you come after 3 p.m....much better than regular price. We arrived at 3:45 p.m. and waited in line outside for about 10 minutes. We entered the Chicago exhibit which was completely full of visitors. The lego creation is unbelievable with night time lights and recreations of Chicago landmarks. This room leads right into the Jungle exhibit...which we learned by accident because the signage was poor. The Jungle room had a cute question/
answer scratch off sheet which was fun for my daughter (7) and son (4). We moved upstairs to the lego playroom, SpongeBob section, and movie. The line was too long for the movie so we didn't bother. Sponge bob room was like a walk-in closet- nothing much to do. My 2 year old enjoyed the lego play area with slides and jungle gym type area. The kids played nicely and parents were attentive to their little ones.

Overall, it was worth the $5 per person just to get out of the house. I would never play full price though.

8  Thank supermom_of_3Chicago
Reviewed 30 December 2008

Not worth the money! Admission for 2 adults and 3 kids was a budget-busting $63 ($58 + a $5 internet processing fee). It was a madhouse and the staff were overwhelmed and snippy. There are only 3-4 attractions (as far as I know; we asked for a visitor's guide but were told they didn't have any) and the whole place can be done in 2 hours tops if you don't have to encounter the monstrous, unruly lines. But that's only after waiting in the cold outside if you do not buy your tickets on-line beforehand!

The 4-D movie was good, but not as enjoyable as it could have been because of large school groups of screaming kids. One family waited patiently in line in front of us so that they could get front-row seats, only to be told by staff that they had to move to accommodate the school groups. The factory tour, which lasts for about 10 minutes, was uninspiring and my little one had a hard time hearing and seeing what was going on. The kids get one lousy Lego on the way out. What are they going to do with one Lego?

After checking out the food service, we decided not to eat there ($3 for a hot dog, what little selection there was looked unappealing, the noise level was deafening and there were no available tables), so we went to the Big Bowl across the street and were much happier.

You are forced to pass through the retail space on the way out -- watch out for clamoring kids. The selection was sparse; we did not see any kits that weren't already available elsewhere. I would have left with more goodwill if they had deducted a portion of the admission fees from the retail purchase! The real critics (my 3 kids, ages 10, 8 and 4) were unimpressed and would have been just as happy with a visit to the Lego store on Michigan Ave. We will not recommend Legoland Discovery Centre to anyone.

5  Thank 3KzooKids