“Nice Neighborhood and Hotel if Overpriced - But No Free Wifi in Common Areas or Late Check-Out”

Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, Chicago
Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Schaumburg
Syracuse, NY
Reviewed 1 July 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for a Science Fiction con, so once again my review may be slanted towards those specific needs. As opposed to the last Ryatt Regency we stayed at in Kansas City, MO, this one is a definite step up in many ways - there's free parking readily available, the hotel is newer, and Woodfield Mall (a major shopping mall) is quite literally across the street - so there's plenty of food and shopping options within walking distance for those who don't want overpriced hotel food (including Portillo's, a landmark fast food restaurant).

However, rooms are on the small side, and the full-sized bed my wife and I slept in seemed tiny compared to what we're used to for that size. (My wife often uses the second bed in a two full-sized bed room for packing and unpacking.) More importantly, this hotel doesn't have *any* free wifi any place in the hotel - even the common areas like the lobby and meeting rooms use Hyatt's overpriced $9.95/night wireless, which seems unconscionable to me. Finally, when I called requesting late checkout because my wife had an event she needed to attend, I was told they didn't *have* late checkout!

I know Hyatt Regency hotels are considered "ritzier" than many of the hotels I'm used to staying in - if that means "paying for overpriced everything", I suspect I'll be staying at Holiday Inns whenever possible from here on in.....

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank timeliebe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kentucky
Reviewed 21 June 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night en route to Wisconsin. It is located directly across from the Woodfield Mall and offers lots of dining options near by.
PROS:
~very modern interior and rooms are nicely decorated with upscale furnishings
~beds were comfortable
~pool area is nice, offering a small indoor pool that connects to the outside
CONS:
~stayed on a Saturday night and there were 2 weddings taking place. There is only one parking lot at the back of the hotel which was full of people coming for the wedding receptions. This meant a long walk with luggage, in the rain. A bit frustrating when we are the ones paying for a room.....
~hot tub was closed which would have been nice on this unseasonably cold day. Another guest said it hadn't been opened all year.
~no free internet useage. I entered the business center to find it cost a min of $7.50 to get on the internet.
And my biggest complaint......the NOISE. We were on the 3rd floor and we could hear the DJ and the music at the receptions taking place on the 1st floor until well after midnight. And our room wasn't even over top of the banquet rooms! We were also awoken at least 5 times through the night by loud groups of people roaming the hallways. So not a good nights sleep for us :~(
Everything else about this hotel was so nice, I would consider staying again. I would only do so if it was during the week since the chances of having loud party-goers would be much less.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Tamara6959
Harrow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2011

A dull box of a building from the exterior, located in uninspiring surroundings, the hotel redeems itself with very smart rooms. They are crisply decorated, well appointed and passed the 'bed bug test' with flying colours.Sadly the pool and hot tub were not useable due to maintenance and poor weather

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the 2nd floor - it helps getw
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank JRLPHR9
Charleston, IL
Reviewed 14 June 2011

We were in town for three days to attend a party. We came early to shop, and visit friends in the area. The room had NO luggage rack. I do not like to put luggage on the floor, so the front desk was very obliging and had one delivered. A luggage rack should, however, just be part of basic room amenities. The room was a double-double and that would indicate more than one person-right? However, there was only ONE chair in the room-at the desk. My husband and I had to take turns sitting down. In an area of business conferences, sightseeing and shopping, it would be nice if guests could end their day by sitting in an armchair to relax. As for the bathroom, there were no towel racks. There was also a sign indicating that, due to conservation, towels would be refreshed only occasionally. We had to call and request fresh towels as there was no place to hang towels to dry. Who wants to keep using damp towels that have all been stacked on the one hook provided???? Due to the configuration of the hotel our room was a very, very long walk from the elevator. Again, at the end of the long day, who wants extra walking time? As seniors, it became very tiresome. I think the hotel should make note of the age and ability of those checking in, and put them in rooms that are closer to the elevators. Maybe hold those rooms aside like handicapped rooms? I would also request a room that does NOT overlook the lobby atrium-no privacy and no view of what is going on weatherwise. . There was no card requesting our comments on our stay, so I couldn't tell Hyatt any of this. Hope they read Trip Advisor! Finally, on the good side, the room was clean and so was the entire facility. Lobby chairs (again a chair problem) were lovely,but not comfortable. The staff was outstanding--very friendly, helpful, and they appeared to be completely focused on doing their jobs well. The kiosk in the lobby has great coffee and snacks! The ladies working the kiosk were really wonderful and friendly.

Fortunately we were staying at a discount. If the price had been any higher I would have been furious. It's okay to stay here due to it's convenience, but it's not that comfortable so keep your stay short. The bed, however, is a good one and feels fresh and clean.

Room Tip: Tellthe front desk that you do NOT want to walk
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank MilesOfFun
HRWoodfield, Director of Revenue Management at Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, Chicago, responded to this review, 20 June 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our property, we appreciate you sharing the details about your experience. We're delighted to hear you were pleased with our staff and the cleanliness of our hotel, we feel these are cornerstones of making your stay comfortable and are glad to hear it shows. While the configuration of our hotel does put some rooms further from the elevators than others, we can certainly accomodate a request for one closer should you desire. We hope you'll join us again in the future, and for more seating, may I suggest requesting a Deluxe King room, which offers a chaise lounge in addition to the desk? This would offer the additional comfort you are looking for in your room. We hope to see you again soon.
Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Super comfortable beds, great staff, bar and starbucks in lobby. Lobby nice, fun area to wait for friends. Super close to great shopping in Woodfield Mall and surrounding shops. Had nice dinner at PF Chang's nearby. Free parking.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank FastGirl39
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 May 2011

I booked a suite for my daughter's Sweet 16 birthday celebration at the Hyatt Regency Woodfield, the rooms were amazing! My daughter & her friends were thrilled with the iPod docks in each room, the plasma TV's (they were able to play Wii), the indoor lap pool & they even took advantage of the fitness room! Additionally, the staff was awesome! They were very accommodating with our needs as we hosted my daughter's special day. From the cleanliness of the rooms, the bedding & bathroom accessories, we couldn't have asked for better service. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Lenaf6
st. Louis
Reviewed 13 May 2011

Check in was quick and easy, long walk to lobby from parking lot. Room was clean with modern decor. We enjoyed a king room. Very spacious, desk and couch. Flat screen tv with new release movies to rent (12.95) They have a resturant & bar as well as room service. All very pricey for what you get but there are many resturants to choose from in the area. Shopping in this area is great to! No airport schuttle. Would stay again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple