“Very Accomodating”

Ranked #17 of 29 Hotels in Schaumburg
Los Angeles, California
“Very Accomodating”
Reviewed 11 July 2008

Traveled with my husband and 3 month old baby to stay in Schaumburg for a week. He was working there on a temporary assignment. It's not exactly the easiest hotel to find - we had to drive around a bit, googlemaps gave us roundabout directions, and the freeways right around there are confusing, too. But we found the place alright, got checked in.

The rooms are well-kept and clean, but the decor is awfully outdated. Lots of cheap brass, "oak," and dark earth tones. The couch and bed left much to be desired. The couch fabric was cheap and shiny, and it wasn't comfortable. The bed was also pretty uncomfortable. But I have back problems, so your mileage may vary...

I ate breakfast downstairs a few times. It was nothing to write home about. Lots of sugary pastries, cereal, juice, gummy eggs. Housekeeping did a great job. One day I was walking out the door with my son, and asked when housekeeping might get around to the 400 floor, so I could plan my day. The front desk offered to have my room done right away, so I could come back with my baby, and not be interrupted later on. Awesome.

A few days into the trip, I went to bake dinner in the oven...and then discovered... no oven. We asked at the front desk if there was an oven we could use. They offered to switch us to a different room, and since I didn't want to waste the food I couldn't bake, we agreed.

Although we booked for a week, my husband was done with his job early, and I started to come down with a cold. So we decided to skip town early. We thought we'd have to eat the remaining few days, but the hotel let us check out early, no problems.

Overall, I found the staff there to be really helpful and nice. The rooms were average, though. Best part - it's within walking distance of IKEA, along a nice little path. :-)

• Liked — Accomdating Staff
  • Disliked — Uncomfortable Bed + Couch
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Madison, Wi
Reviewed 23 April 2008

We stayed at the Residence Inn over the weekend of April 11.

As mentioned in previous reviews, the staff was very friendly and even upgraded us to a 2 bedroom suite, which was really nice.

The pool is decent. There is a workout room that seems very adequate too.

The complimentary breakfast had something for everyone including fresh fruit.

The location is great right next to Ikea and just a very short drive from Woodfield Mall and many restaurants. We were attending a conference at the McCormick Center and decided we did not want to pay the outlandish prices downtown or deal with the traffic and parking. This was very convenient.

I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to my friends/family.

Stayed April 2008
Crown Point IN
Reviewed 9 March 2008

I stayed for one night at this hotel with three kids, ages 14, 9 and 8. There were pros and cons to the stay. First, the good points...
Hotel is in a great location just off the expressway, but tucked back just enough to not be near the biggest flows of traffic. Check in was quick and everything was clean upon our arrival. We had a one bedroom suite. This consisted of a bedroom/bath, separate living room with a full kitchen. This was kind of handy for us, but I could imagine that this place is fantastic for business travelers or people who plan on staying more than a few days. The kitchen is stocked with everything, and houskeeping will even load the dishwasher for you. Basic toiletries were in the bath, and I was pleasantly surprised to find conditioner for my hair, which lots of hotels do not provide. There is free internet access here, and there is one computer in the lobby that is free to use. The pool/hot tub area were really nice, clean, and well kept.

Now the not-so-good points.....These rooms have kitchens. This means that when your neighbor cooks, you will smell it for hours in your room. The walls are pretty thin and you can hear most of what is going on in the hall or the next room. There is only one set of elevators in this hotel, so even if you park near the area where your room is, if you are up a few floors (there are 5) you still have to venture back to the middle of the hotel. The complimentary breakfast was okay. Your standard pastries, make-your-own-waffle station, eggs, sausage, etc were just fine for a free breakfast. I've had better though, and kind of wished I had gotten a cheaper room somewhere else and gone out for a better breakfast.

All in all this hotel was just okay. Business travelers or extended stay guests would probably find it very useful, just beware of the cooking smells and maybe bring some scented candles or air freshener spray with you, because when I asked the desk for some to rid the smells, they said they had none and that they couldn't do anything about it. Also, if you plan on using the pull out sofa be sure to request extra blankets and pillows. There is a linen pack in the closet but there is one thin blanket in there.

• Liked — It was close to alot of attractions.
  • Disliked — The cooking smells that breached my room from other rooms.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank mom2threestooges
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 4 September 2007

We stayed here for 4 nights... in a 2 bedroom suite... there were 4 adults and 2 kids with us on the trip....and we stayed there comfortably... plenty of room and very clean. So handy to have a kitchen and dishwasher... awesome.
The staff were nice and courteous... (one girl at the front desk was a little TOO FRIENDLY towards my husband.. but it's all good).
The pool area, bbq areas and basketball courts were very clean and well maintained. Close to the mall and ikea and a heap of eating places.
Would stay there again.. no doubt.
GREAT for families!!

• Liked — Cleanliness and space.
  • Disliked — lack of a business center.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank Aazadeh
Hamilton, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 May 2007

Spent 6 nights here over the past week. Some were Marriott rewards nights, some were at the super AAA rate of $80.

The hotel is located adjaent to Woodfield Mall, next to Ikea and within short walking distance or driving of numerous restaurants and things to do.

Took the bus from the Rosemont CTA to the Mall. There is a trolley that stops at Ikea...short walk to the RI. They also will pick you up, or you can transfer buses to one that stops nearby.

The staff was very nice throughout the stay. Interestingly, I was going to move to the Renaissance for a couple nights but the staff there was VERY snobby and they do nothing to recognize taht you are a Platinum member. On weekends the Concierge lounge there is closed so they don't even let you get breakfast. Also, all the rooms are the same so you get nothing better. (Albeit, the Renaissance has, among other things, 42" Plasma TVs and a tv in the mirror in the bathroom...the place is gorgeous but if you aren't part of a big convention, they could give a hoot about you!)

Anyway, sorry to digress, back the the RI. The evening social hour featured beer and wine, along with a lite supper. I did get some food at the store (I walked, or took the trolley to the PACE bus station, and walked more....to Dominicks..nice store but I was disappointed in the meats...got a refund!)

Breakfast was standard RI fare....but they had no OJ for 3 days...the GM finally went and bought some. Also, the pastry selection was lacking. Other than that, there's enough to eat. OR for fun, you can go to IKEA and get eggs, meat, potatoes and I think toast for $2!

Parking is free....they do not currently have a business center and at the time my computer was broken. You can go across the parking lot to the SpringHill Suites and use their business center.

There is a pool which I did not use...and a laundry room (1.25 per load) which I did when the garbage disposal decided to attack! They quickly gave me change to wash my clothes and offered to change rooms, but since I really didn't need the disposal i opted to stay put.

There are lots of shops and restaurants nearbhy. Again, the trolley stops at IKEA and will take you to the mall, a couple other shopping centers or the PACE NW transit center so you can get about anyplace.

I tried a brewpub called Stonewood ale house. It's right around the corner from the trolley stop at the Transit center. They had a good happy hour....I think I had a Stonewood ale for $3.50 and all the appetizers are half price, except those with shrimp. Not bad...I think I spent $10.

The hotel is about 8-10 miles from O'Hare. The bus took maybe 45 minutes or so-not bad.

Overall this ws an above average RI and I would not hesitate to stay there again. The staff was very nice and the place ws in good shape. They have the new beds, but I was told they should be getting remodeled in the not too distant future.

The hotel was quiet....didn't hear noise from above, or nearby rooms, and nothing was really in bad enough shape to make me not want to return.

All in all, you should be pleased with your stay here.

• Liked — Great staff, good location, lots to do
  • Disliked — Breakfast lacked variety, no business center (yet(
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank cruisermeg
Dover, Delaware
Reviewed 4 December 2005

Thoroughly enjoyed a one-night stay at the Residence Inn, Schaumburg! Our Studio Suite was very spacious for a family with two small children-- one queen bed, plus a sofabed, and a very large kitchen made for an enjoyable stay with room to spread out. Great location right next door to IKEA and close proximity to Woodfield shopping.

The kitchen contained tableware for guests to use, and even had a dishwasher. We were impressed to see the schedule for the managers' "dinners" posted for guests on weekdays, but alas we were there for a Saturday night and were unable to experience it for ourselves.

The pool area was quite large for this size of hotel and had plenty of towels available.

The breakfast bar had both hot and cold items and was re-stocked promptly as items ran low.

We will definitely look into staying here again the next time we are in town. Our rate of $72 was a bargain for the size of our suite and the amenities at the hotel.

• Stayed November 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 18 November 2005

My husband and I recently stayed at the Residence Inn in Schaumburg to meet up with relatives (we are from out of town), do some early Christmas shopping, and use some Marriott rewards points. I have stayed at this hotel before on business but not for pleasure. As always, the hotel is very clean, well run, and spacious. We had a studio suite for two nights that were free because we were traveling with Marriott rewards. The only item that caused a bit of confusion was when we checked in, and I verified that the front desk clerk had the reservation correct (in that the two nights were free because we used Marriott points). He took a bit longer than usual to check us in, including taking a photocopy of my email printout for his records. While this posed no problems for us, it is somewhat disturbing that their computer system doesn't work better. I have had this same issue with other Marriot Rewards stays in the past, so I expected the longer check in. I did feel bad for the couple that was behind me in line, but all in all, it worked out fine.

In addition to the clean room and fantastic maid service, the breakfast is a welcome addition. It is a "hot" breakfast that includes scrambled eggs, breakfast meat, and waffles in addition to assorted fruit, yogurt, breads, and cereal. While it isn't a five star eatery, the warm food is appreciated this time of year.

• Stayed November 2005