“Perfect for larger family and kids”

Sonesta ES Suites Schaumburg
Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Schaumburg
“Perfect for larger family and kids”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Great hotel, quiet location, close to all things Schaumburg area. Very friendly staff. Front desk very kind and helpful. Safe location.

Whats nice is these are renovated townhouses/apartments. We have 4 kids. We stayed in a suite with 2 bedrooms (queen bed in each) 2 bathrooms (1 in each bedroom) and a pull out sofa with full kitchen (fridge, oven, microwave). 3 TV's, 1 in each bedroom and 1 in living room. For the money you'll pay twice more anywhere else. This worked great for us. Parking is right outside room and location is very convenient to Woodfield mall and eating. In fact, its around the block in a very quiet location way better then other hotels.

Rooms are a bit dated but not anything to be picky about. Everything was very clean.

Overall this was great and we would stay here again all day.

Room Tip: Go with the suite !
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank jmacsyodaddy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We went to Schaumburg for a Mother-Daughters weekend and needed a place to stay that was close to Woodfield and IKEA. This place was wonderful! Spacious rooms, kind staff and a great price. We stayed in 2 Bedroom 2 Bath Suite with 3 people. Plenty of room and amenities were perfect for the amount of time we spent in the room. Definitely will be back! Loved the kitchen and apartment-like style of the hotel.

2 Thank Kati S
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Location is great for Ikea & other shopping but eegads.....step back into the 90's with very dated furniture & kitchen. The 2 separate bedrooms were on either side of the 'living room' so that was great for the snorers! Loved that feature where you don't find that often in other hotels/motels. But the sleeper sofa was horrible! I'm 5' 3" & a size 6 & my back was so arched from the horrible support it was rediculous. I put 4 doubled up blankets under me to no avail. It didn't have a pad on it (had to ask for one) & was blood stained (was the previous surveyor in my room??!!) & had food on it when I opened it. I looked at the 4 extra pillows stored in the closets & ALL 4 were stained yellow or just plain TOO OLD for use...I was grossed out. Carpet was newer. TV was a BOX TV (seriously) & the picture was way too dark. OLD DVD player that skipped all 4 of our movies. I liked the repainted mocha walls-nice touch up.

Buffet only had eggs I could eat on the 1st morning & nothing on the next (I'm gluten/dairy free-sinus issues-so the cheesey eggs they presented wasn't helpful). Please consider some of us please! This IS 2014. Room door's exterior paint was seriously peeling off in 5 areas (like hand sized); not a great 1st impression to the room. Overall, my sister & mom were okay with the hotel-I was not-I travel more than they do. I would've happily paid more to be in the 21st century.

I am a 15 year cleaning business veteran & the cleanliness was pretty acceptable (by the way, my mother & sister are too). Pay attention to the baseboards staff. When maintained, these little rooms are pretty easy & quick to clean. But the return duct (on the kitchen closet door) was filthy. These are all somewhat inexpensive fixes Sonesta.

Room Tip: I turned on the A/C/heating unit to 'FAN ON' & it eliminated the outside traffic noise...
1 Thank Jennifersiebe
maureen f, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Schaumburg, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Since the Sonesta ES Suites is a new hotel brand within the Schaumburg market, I would like to thank you for your feedback. I take your comments very seriously and do understand that the hotel is 90's retro. However, I have some great news. Beginning April 1st we will be undergoing a total hotel renovation and we will be done before the end of the year. My team is very excited to change the look and style of the hotel and we will be adding several amenities when the rooms and lobby are completely finished. So, if you are back in the Schaumburg area by year end, please come by and visit us and our "newly renovated" hotel. I think that you will love the new look and style.
Brookfield, Illinois
Reviewed 4 March 2014

From start to finish we enjoyed our stay here. We were here for a competition and also some shopping at the mall. Woodfield Mall is 5 mins away along with every restaurant you can imagine.
Great price for the room/suite and plenty of room for my family. The breakfasts were unexpectedly good, great selection. The sofa bed is terrible, but aren't they always that way?

Room Tip: It was winter so I don't have any room suggestions. We faced the pool on the first floor. Once i...
Sussex, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Large and spacious 2 bedroom 2 bath suite.
Outdated but still okay for the price
Nice breakfast
Oh yeah and a blood stained mattress in the pull out sofa.
Would I stay here again? Sure....as long as I didn't have to sleep on the sofa.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank innairis
maureen f, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Schaumburg, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thank you for your feedback and I appreciate you staying with us. I am excited to tell you that in approximately 1 month we will begin a total property renovation. All of our guestrooms and lobby areas will be completely redesigned. You will not recognize this hotel the next time you come to visit. So please, come back and visit and I can assure you that you will see a complete transformation from what you experienced in February.
Reviewed 8 February 2014

The family and I had a staycation weekend for my daughter's birthday weekend. We were supposed to go to Mall of America but the Polar Vortex kept us in Illinois. We decided to do a weekend of Legoland, Gameworks and Woodfield Mall. I will first begin with the pros:

1. Check-in was quick and easy
2. Customer Service was courteous and professional. Thanks "Pita".
3.Value was a great sized suite for a nicely discounted price. We paid $115 a night for a 2bdr suite with pull out sofa that slept 8ppl
4. The option for full breakfast each day was nice.
5. The grounds, though snow covered, were spacious and scenic
6. The beds were comfortable!

This hotel has great potential until the potential is actually realized the cons will continue to negatively define the Sonesta Es Suites Schaumburg. Here are the cons:

1. This one can't be fixed, however, the location is not conveniently or closely located to Woodfield Mall or any of the restaurants in the vicinity. The hotel is tucked away in a residential area about 5 blocks from the mall action. A car is definitely needed.

2. The rooms were severely OUTDATED. Clearly the last upgrade sans the beds and bedding must have been done in 1984.

3. Large heavy tube tvs. Why they haven't invested in flat screens throughout escapes me since they aren't expensive to replace.

4. Another surface clean hotel. Dust and dirt in the corners, water stains, random hairs in the bathroom, carpet stains etc...existed. Deep cleaning is badly needed.

5. Apparently, when the hotel was purchased by a new owner they decided to do an exterior facelift and change the doors and outside railing etc..from turquoise to brown. Now the doors and surrounding railings and hardware are in need of replacing or repainting it is chipping and pealing everyone. The doors actually looked like they were falling apart, only to discover it was chipping paint. The chipped door paint follows you under foot into your room.

6. Damaged and breaking stairs. We stayed on the second floor. Climbing the stairs to our room had to be done cautiously.

7. Suspect and sketchy employees. Neither maintenance or housekeeping wore uniforms.

8. Housekeeping only dumped the trash and replaced towels. Good thing we are clean and neat naturally. The rooms could benefit from regular/daily housekeeping.

9. Sofabed mattress was thin, flimsy, old and had several questionable stains. Replacing the mattress is something they should consider.

10. The furniture in the rooms need to be replaced with NEW updated furniture. The current furniture looks to be USED hotel resale furnishings complete with bumbs, bruises and scratches.

11. Poor cable reception. The tube tvs fluctuated between clear and snowy

12. The rooms had an odor that smelled dank. This could have been because of the old used furnishing, carpets or curtains or a combination of all. This was helped with Alora room diffusers we purchased for our 2night stay.

In closing, this hotel has the potential to sink or swim. Right now they are floating until they have to do either. I hope this review and others will encourage them to be better.

Happy Stays!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Sherry M
I really appreciate all of the honest feedback that you have given myself and my team. We strive to do better each and every time and this will definitely assist us in doing that. However, I am excited to state that beginning at the end of March, the hotel will be going under a complete renovation. So, when you come back to visit in the future, you will not see the same hotel that it is today. Thank you again and I hope that you will come back and visit us at the Sonesta ES Suites.
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed 5 February 2014

This hotel located in the center of Schaumburg, and close to all major shopping areas and restaurants. It is also very quiet at night, because it is not right on the roads with major traffics. The location is the best I've got so far in Schaumburg.

The rooms are not average hotel rooms. They are spacious with full kitchen and living room. It really feels like home away from home. However, the kitchen appliance was seriously outdated. Also, the TV sets were very old. The bathroom faucet was a little loose, but no leaking (I think, it's just me, who always prefer shiny faucets). Hopefully, the renovation will take care of that.

Definitely a good place to return for my next shopping trip.

Room Tip: We stayed on higher floor, and loved it.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Baby_PolarBear
maureen f, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Schaumburg, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Thank you for staying with us and I really appreciate the feedback you have provided. I am excited to tell you that we are currently in the process of getting ready for our hotel to be fully renovated. So when you come back and visit us later in the year, we will have a brand new hotel/product that will offer amenities that you will love.

Thank you again.