“Affordable but horrible bathroom and location”

Hyatt Place Chicago/Schaumburg
Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Schaumburg
Millbrae, California
“Affordable but horrible bathroom and location”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I fell in love after my experience with Hyatt Place in Honolulu; however, this one was on the disappointing side.

Despite the nice and friendly staff, the hotel just doesn't live up to its status. It's located way out there. The breakfast is the same everyday, the bathroom is very small with a loud fan and rusty faucet/shower, the air conditioner and water pipe are also loud (very loud at night which affect sensitive sleeper), and the bed is worn; not cozy and comfy. The wifi is slow and tedious (requires entering personal info).

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Hyatt P, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Chicago/Schaumburg, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Thank you for your positive comment about our staff. Our hotel is conveniently located across from IKEA and 2 blocks from the Woodfield Mall, which is where most guests visit in Schaumburg. The breakfast is complimentary and includes hot items such as breakfast sandwiches, as well as other continental items. The bathrooms are a standard size, as the wash basin and large marble countertop are outside of the shower/commode area, for our guests convenience. If you do return to the hotel, please bring any issues with the room to the attention of our gallery hosts. We can always have maintenance look at any items, or move you to another room. We offer Hyatt Grand beds for our guests which may be a matter of preference. Regarding the wifi, I'm not sure what information you had to enter as the wifi only requires a last name and room nuber.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Acworth, Georgia
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. I have never stayed at this chain, but would definitely stay again. The hotel was very clean and modern. The room was quite large and had anything we could possibly want in it. The breakfast was okay. It was better once we realized that they had been out of the hot breakfast sandwiches the first time we went through the line. The staff was very helpful and check in was breeze. If I get to Chicago again, I will stay here and take a train in to the city.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
We are glad you enjoyed the Hyatt Place brand, our hotel rooms, and staff. I am pleased that you were able to enjoy our breakfast sandwiches, which are included in our complimentary breakfast. The breakfast sandwiches are very popular but our staff always does their best to keep them stocked. The train is a nice and convenient way to enjoy downtown Chicago. We hope to see you back at the hotel during your next stay in the area.
Iowa
Reviewed 13 July 2013

This is my 2nd time staying here great room. We love the location and the staff is very nice. Keep up the great job. Will stay again when we come back. Always do ikea and take the train downtown. We always have late check in on Friday night as we drive in and everything is always ready for us when we arrive

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for staying with us again with your family. A special thank you for the recognition of our wonderful staff, room and location! We hope to see you back soon for your next visit to IKEA and/or downtown Chicago.
Iowa
Reviewed 12 July 2013

This is the 2nd time I have stayed at this hotel and it will not be the last. I want to give this hotel a huge thank you and great review with a recommendation for anyone I know. This is the best experience we have ever had at any hotel in any city that we have been to. We love this clean, spacious, budget friendly hotel. The hotel staff are helpful, and friendly with smiles on their faces. Trust me this does not happen often at other hotels. Great priced hotel with above average amenities. FREE continental breakfast is better and larger than most. The hotel room is huge and includes a large mini fridge and seating area. Parking is easy, safe and FREE. Location is perfect close to the Woodfield mall, Ikea, Lego discovery center, many favorite restaurants. We wish we stayed at this hotel and commuted while visiting downtown Chicago. Our trip and budget would have been much better if we did.

Room Tip: These rooms are super clean and large. A mini fridge is a plus.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for returning to the hotel and for the wonderful review! That you took the time to post this review raving about our hotel, staff, amenities and location is much appreciated! We hope to see you back during your next visit to the Schaumburg or Chicago area.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Hotel lobby was very clean and inviting. Starbuck's in the lobby along with a small bar, plenty of seating. Rooms were very clean and modern with a nice seating area with a comfortable couch and refrigerator. Breakfast buffet was good, many good choices.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Hyatt P, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Chicago/Schaumburg, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Thank you for your kind response. I am glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed the hotel and its amenities. We hope to see you again during your next visit to Schaumburg!
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I stay at Hyatt Place brand all the time for business so I knew what to expect and was not disappointed in terms of room, staff etc... BUT, there were so many people there that we ended up using the stairs to come and go (4th floor) just to avoid a very long wait at the elevator. Also, the line to get breakfast was all the way across the lobby. We ended up going to IKEA for breakfast and enjoyed an awesome experience for less than 5 bucks for 2 people. I would stay again, without a doubt, but on a weekend I will reset my expectations!

Room Tip: If they are full, eat breakfast VERY early or wait until 9:30am and head across the parking lot to I...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Our breakfast during the week isn't usually busy so perhaps you were in when there are a large group in house. Normally breakfast during the week is very calm and there isnt a line. I would invite you to stay with us again during your next visit to Schaumburg on business and you will find a much more pleasant breakfast experience.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Overall I really liked this hotel. The room was huge and clean, the bed was comfortable, and the staff were extremely polite. I liked the refrigerator, the new-looking clean coffee pot (very well-stocked with coffee & tea), the enormous tv, and the alarm clock (much nicer than having to use a wake up call). My only complaint was that the wifi connection in my room was terrible -- didn't work at all half the time and was unbearably slow the rest of the time. I also wish the breakfast ended later (10 instead of 9 would be nice). I was only there one night. If I'd stayed longer, the wifi thing would have bothered me a lot more.

I always wear earplugs to sleep in hotels, but I think the noise would bother you if you don't. I couldn't hear anything from the room next to me, but I could hear people talking in the hallway very clearly and noise from the elevator.

Room Tip: Don't get a room near the elevator if possible. You can hear the "ding" and people...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
I'm glad you enjoyed your overall experience, the hotel and staff. We do not usually have complaints about the wifi and we recently had it upgraded. As an option, we have two complimentary computers with printers downstairs for our guests use that are hard wired and always have wifi available. We serve breakfast during set hours, however our staff is always willing to assist if you would like to obtain breakfast, cereal or other ready items, from the kitchen. We all know there is noise in hotels and unfortunately sometimes guests may be loud. We apologize for this. If you do decide to join us again, please feel free to call down to the front desk and asked to be moved if you feel it compromises your rest. We always want to assist our guests and make them feel at home.