“A great place to stay!”

Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Schaumburg
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
“A great place to stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

As a party of five, we traveled all the way from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania to Schaumburg, Illinois to spend the New Year with my husband's family. We were crammed into a relatively small vehicle for a ten hour trip, and needless to say were VERY crabby when we arrived late that night. This is when the magic happened.

When I went to the check-in desk, at about 10pm CST, I was greeted by the Gallery Host. She was a wonderful young lady who was very courteous, prompt, and instantly improved my mood. She asked if we had any preferences to rooms, and even if we were traveling with small children. She said they preferred to put people with children on different floors than people without for the comfort of all of the guests. As someone who is frequently woken up in hotels by the sound of small children screaming and running up and down hallways, this was a nice touch. (I have no hate for children, but I'm not a mother and don't want to be, and that's not cute to me.)

When we were checked in, which was a very quick process, and made our way to our room, I was blown away by how spacious it really was. There is a big comfy couch, a half wall divider between the couch area and the beds, two sinks in the room with lots of well-lit mirrors--if you're traveling with a group, then you can appreciate this. The room smelled very clean and fresh, the linens were soft, there were plenty of towels. The TV accepted HDMI devices, so we were able to stream from our devices without a problem. (Although, if you're going to do this, unplug the Data cable from the TV, or it might keep switching you to the purchase menu.)

The stay was not without incident. As we did stay over a holiday, there was an incident with excessive partying (And by this I mean we could hear these people at four in the morning, all the way down the hall, and could smell what they were smoking). Such a thing happening in general is outside of the control of the staff, but when I told them about it, it was dealt with very quickly. I was very pleased with how quickly our needs were met in general, no matter what time of day or night it was.

When we visit family next year, I intend to stay here again. It's in a great location, just across the street from the Woodfield Mall and near a lot of great places to eat, and next to 290, which will take you pretty much anywhere you need to go.

I've stayed at quite a few hotels out there. The Hyatt was not my first choice, but I'm glad it was my final choice. Because next year, it WILL be my first choice.

TL;DR, Highly recommended. Great staff. Good location. Comfy room.

Room Tip: In event they don't ask automatically, mention whether or not you're traveling with children...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Becky M
Hyatt P, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Chicago/Schaumburg, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Becky M,

How nice to hear your party of five enjoyed the hotel! I'm glad you were all able to spread out and enjoy yourselves in our spacious rooms, sounds like that was just what everyone needed. My apologies for the excessive guest noise and for your understanding in this matter.

We look forward to welcoming you back next year!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Herzogenaurach, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

The Hyatt Place in Schaumburg is a decent hotel, with a practical location for the local businesses, the freeway, and the surrounding bars and restaurants of which there are many.
The room was fine, possibly a little dark, but it was clean and served the purpose. The size of the room was excellent.
The check in and checkout process was painless and efficient, and the staff were friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was a little limited, but overall good enough to be able to 'fill a hole' until lunchtime.
All in all a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Brades1966,

We are pleased you stayed with us during your most recent business trip. Our complimentary breakfast has a selection of two breakfast sandwiches as well as steel cut oatmeal and a variety of juices and breads, for our guests enjoyment. I'm glad you had the chance to stay with us and hope to see you the next time you are in Schaumburg.
Saint Peters, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

We are very pleased we chose the Hyatt Place to stay. The room was very spacious, especially for four people! There was 2 full beds and a very large couch in the room. Had two sinks! Big plus when people are getting ready in morning. The beds were comfortable, as were the pillows. Everything was clean and in very good shape.
The only negative is the small bathroom. You can barely walk in without hitting the toilet. If you forget to lock the door when in it, and some one try's to open it, you will feel the pain!!!! (Knee & toes!). Lol

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank briand371
Brian D,

We are pleased you and your family enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Yes, the shower/bath and toilet area are in a smaller enclosed space. The sinks are outside that space, allowing guests more room to "get ready" for the day, therefore there is less space in that room. We hope to welcome you and your family back soon.
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

There are three levels of positives: good, great, and memorable. The Hyatt Place staff made this stay beyond memorable.

I accidentally arrived at the hotel a day early. This could have been a disaster, given that I booked the room through Hotels.com; however, Albert, the night front desk clerk, was quick to help me resolve the issue so I could check in with absolutely no headaches or problems. Albert provided a level of service I thought had become a thing of the past.

The room was unbelievable, definitely one of the largest rooms I've had the pleasure of having. A large area that combined a sitting area, desk/work station, and "kitchen" (refrigerator, sink and individual-sized coffee maker) area was as big as most hotel rooms I've stayed in (and larger than some). In addition to that, there was the bed area, separated from the rest of the room by a patrician, and the bathroom area.

In addition to the large size, the room had additional perks that I prefer in hotel rooms. First, it wasn't overcrowded with furniture. Some hotels like to occupy every square inch of wall space with furnishings. This room was suitably furnished with plenty of room to move about the room without bumping into something. Secondly, the room had sufficient blankets on the bed (and even had spare blankets in the room instead of having to call the front desk for one). Too many hotels don't provide enough blankets, but the Hyatt Place provided enough to make sleeping comfortable (obviously keeping in mind that they are located in Chicago, where it can be quite cold in December -- or in June, for that matter). Thirdly, the room's heater was fully operational. In fact, it was almost TOO hot when I first entered the room; however, given that it was quite cold outside and the problems that frozen water pipes on the upper floors could cause a hotel it was totally understandable. It didn't take long for the room to return to a comfortable level. Finally, even though my room was located next to an elevator there was no issue whatsoever with external noise. I never heard anyone in the hall waiting for the elevator.

I didn't utilize the pool (I did look in the pool area, and I'm happy to report they have a hot tub as well as the pool); however, I did visit the exercise room. The room was large and had two treadmills (the one I used was in good repair), an elliptical machine and an exercise bike in addition to weights.

Another exceptional bonus to this hotel was the breakfast. Instead of serving two types of juice (apple and orange) they had FOUR juices, including one I had never seen on a hotel breakfast buffet before: vegetable juice. That alone makes the breakfast stand out; however, there were additional items that made this one of the most enjoyable buffets I have encountered. Instead of hard-boiled eggs the buffet featured egg sandwiches, both with meat and vegetarian. There were also two different types of fruit salad (grapefruit and mixed fruit) in addition to fresh apples, oranges and bananas. This was a restaurant-quality spread.

One additional thing to point out: the weather wasn't very pleasant on this trip. While it hadn't snowed the threat was in the forecast. The Hyatt Place was prepared for this, as the parking lot and sidewalks near the front entrance had been salted in preparation for the bad weather.

Everything about this stay was first-rate in every regard; however, just the visit was worth it just for the privilege of being served by such a caring, courteous staff member as Albert. His "can-do" attitude should be held as a model for the hotel industry, and Hyatt should be grateful to have him as an employee.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Got2GoAllTheTime
Dear Karen R,

Thank you for your kind review and positive comments about Albert. We are very lucky to have wonderful staff who care about our guests and always go the extra mile to assure our guests stays are warm and comfortable.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.
Merrillville, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

Me and husband are regular visitors because it is clean, pleasant, and the locale. Nice amenities. Love the restaurant and wonderful service we receive by the staff, and head waiter Juan who we always encounter on our visits and consistent ,attentive, and the best service from a waiter n staff we ever receive!! My husband lost his wallet and he promptly contacted our room! Just a wonderful n comfortable getaway for us we love. Thank you.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

My daughter was off school during the entire week of Thanksgiving. We live local, but couldn't get away due to family obligations. We have a few amenities that were important to us
1. Pet friendly 2. Indoor pool 3. Jacuzzi 4. Exercise facility 5. Free WiFi 6. Free breakfast. Very few hotels have ALL of those. Of the 3 in the area we found HPS had the largest rooms and best rates. Besides a few plumbing issues in our room HPS met or exceeded our expectations.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Hyatt P, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Chicago/Schaumburg, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
jessicasarah,

I'm glad you and your family were able to stay with us the week of Thanksgiving. We are pleased to hear that we offered all of the important amenities to you and your family. I apologize for the plumbing issues, hopefully our staff was able to take care of those issues for you.

We hope to welcome you back soon.
Kimberly, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

I loved the location of this hotel. There were a few restaurants within walking distance, and the mall, theater, and IKEA were within a few minutes drive (with traffic). Our room was very clean and modern. No complaints about the bed - I slept fine. Breakfast was very good compared to some other hotels we've stayed at. Although the hotel had a pool and fitness center, we never made it there. I'd stay again if I return to the area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
sasajs22,

We are pleased that you and your family enjoyed the hotel location, room, bed and breakfast. Hopefully you and your family will have the chance to utilize our indoor pool, spa and fitness center during your next stay. We look forward to welcoming you back.