“Nice evening good food”

Z Best Cafe on Main
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Rochester, Minnesota
“Nice evening good food”
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

We had eaten here a few years ago and remembered it as very good.

Atmosphere is cozy and local. Interesting menu. Good wine selection.

We both had a filet mashed potatoes and sautéed green beans. Service was excellent. Food was better than average, not great and a bit expensive.

A bit of a surprise when paying they add 3.75% if you use a credit card. They prefer cash or local check. We weren't local.

Would go back but I wouldn't call it a "must return".

Geneseo, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yum”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Food is freshly made using local produce. Entrees came with perfectly prepared veggies. Lots of flavor.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank r81162
Willowbrook
“Sheffield Surprise”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

After past experiences with restaurants in small Illinois towns, the Z Best was a pleasant surprise. Food appears to be freshly made using local produce. Entrees came with perfectly prepared veggies - not something plopped out of a can - and the garlic mashed potatoes were delicious. There were 5 or 6 dessert choices, all sounded wonderful, went with the salted peanut caramel cake - great!

• Visited September 2013
Peoria, Illinois, United States
“Pretty Good Experience”
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

Recommended to try Zbest by some friends of ours. We made reservations and it was busy so I would agree with everyone else on that one. Ordered the Apple Onion Soup as mentioned on a previous review and it was amazing. For dinner I ordered the Filet medium rare and I believe I got a sirloin cooked well done. It looked a lot like my friends sirloin and nothing like my husband's med rare filet. The very best part of dinner was the Caramel Pecan Bread Pudding, wow!!!
The service was okay and not pushy. Come prepared to pay in cash or you will pay 3% more with credit charges.

• Visited August 2013
Bolingbrook, Illinois, United States
“A VERY pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My family was passing through Saturday evening on the way back to the Chicago suburbs and found Z Best Cafe on our GPS and expected to find a typical small town cafe/diner where we could get a simple meal..................boy was I pleasantly wrong.

The hostess politely told us that the earliest available table was at 7:30 (1.5 hrs. later!!) As my wife took my 2 oldest kids to the restroom I began searching my phone for the nearest McDonalds when the hostess informed me that we could sit at 1/2 of a current customer's table that wasn't being used. Having worked in other restaurants in the past, that just doesn't happen.

Needless to say, the service and friendliness of the staff was bar none. The family that we sat next to, literally shoulder-to-shoulder, were kind to my 3 kids and provided us with kind conversation.

Now, to the food. I would drive from the western suburbs to Sheffield (nearly 2 hrs.) to eat at Z Best Cafe. They provided my kids with a makeshift kids meals of freshly breaded "chicken strips," seasoned fries and Mac & Cheese. My wife had coconut shrimp that rivaled anything around here, and I had an amazing stuffed pork loin that melted in my mouth.

• Visited August 2013