“Nice enough”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sheridan
Holiday Inn Club Vacations Fox River Resort
Chicago Suburbs
“Nice enough”
Reviewed 3 June 2008

Silverleaf at Fox River is a nice enough place. I was shocked that some of the other reviewers had so many problems, especially with cleanliness. That was not our experience at all.

We stayed in a lodge unit (218 in bldg 2) which is a two bedroom condo. It was extremely clean. The master bedroom has a king bed, jacuzzi & sink/vanity in room with the toilet behind a closed door. The 2nd bedroom has a queen bed with tub, sink/vanity & toilet behind a closed door. Both were very spacious.

The kitchen featured a full-size fridge/freezer w/built in ice-maker, electric stove/oven, microwave, toaster, coffee pot, sink, dishwasher and lots of cabinet space. There were basic pots and pans, dishes/cups/glasses and silverware for 4 plus a variety of cooking utensils, casserole dishes, measuring cups etc. at our disposal. They also provided dishwasher and dish soap, kitchen towels and potholders plus paper towels and extra garbage bags.

There is also a dining room that seats 4 and a livingroom couch & chair plus a TV in the LR plus each bedroom. Off the LR is a private balcony with a table & 4 chairs facing a wooded area.

Pets are welcome for a flat fee of $55. We brought three dogs with no extra charge.

Activities on property are somewhat limited - 5 hole par 3 golf, mini golf, two pools (one indoor, one outdoor - outdoor was freezing in May but we expected it. Indoor was fine), fishing, horseback riding. Beware - they charge extra for horseback riding and cancel rides if it rains due to wet trails. Our kids were disappointed.

You can rent movies for $4.99, borrow games and some sports equipment (horseshoes, shuffleboard, minigolf clubs, balls etc.) and buy basic food (hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza etc). There is not a lot to do outside the resort. We did go to Starved Rock State Park (very good Sunday Brunch!) which is right near an indoor waterpark and amusement park - Great Bear I believe? - around 20-30 minutes away but that's about it. Nearest restaurants are 20-25 minutes away as well. Try the Cajun Connection in Utica - its outstanding food just like New Orleans!

My kids (8 & 10) loved just walking around, relaxing and swimming at their leisure. My hubby and I were a bit bored but we did enjoy not having to rush from activity to activity like some vacations dictate. The dogs LOVED their first family vacation!

Definitely stay there for relaxation, taking your days slow and if you don't mind cooking some meals. Pass it by if you like to pack a lot into your trips or like restaurant meals.

• Liked — Spacious condo; pets welcome at reasonable fee
  • Disliked — No restaurants close by
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank mommyof2gals

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Illinois
Reviewed 24 February 2008

If this location weren't pet-friendly, my review of this resort would be less favorable. I have stayed at this location twice and each time, I had to spend over an hour cleaning the kitchen before I could use it. I don’t plan to spend the first hour of my vacation sanitizing.

The first visit, the entire resort was infested with beetles. (I suppose this is attributed to its rural location.) My dog jumped all over the unit getting away from them.

During my most recent visit I arrived close to midnight. I waited for a while before the front desk clerk even acknowledged me. She was heavily engaged in a conversation with a charming young man. When we finally arrived at the unit, the keys I was given were the wrong ones. I called the office to report the error and was met with an attitude on the other end. This same woman acted as if I were disturbing her. She asked me if I put the key in the appropriate door. I verified the unit number I was given and then read the numerals on the key. She said, “Well, you need to come back, you have the wrong keys.” I reminded her that she had given me the wrong set. Additionally, my disabled grandmother was with me, it was pitch-black outside, close to midnight, and I am unfamiliar with this property after dark. I suggested that she send security to my location with the correct keys. Amazingly, she granted my request.

Units are basic -- no frills. Fairly comfortable furniture. Second bedroom has its own entrance, mini fridge and microwave -- convenient.

The resort layout is nice. On multiple acres, you will find a heavily-used golf course, picnic areas, indoor and outdoor pools, walking trails, horseback riding -- decent amenities. Besides less than average customer service, the location is far from everything. About an hour outside of Chicago, there’s not a lot to do near the resort.

If you're looking for a quick getaway from the city for a couple of days, this might work. If you are interested in exchanging for an entire week, you might want to look elsewhere.

• Liked — Pet-friendly, spacious resort layout, uniformity of the property
  • Disliked — Unit cleanliness, distant location, late night guest services
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
3 Thank iluv2go2

Travellers are raving about these Sheridan hotels

Reviewed 18 February 2008

I booked this through an timeshare exchange week, which are usually very impressive.

The "resort" was a 1 hour 20 min drive from downtown Chicago.
The staff seemed to have the attitude as if you were a bother to them. The room was large in size but the furniture was very worn down.

The nearest store/restaurant was 12 miles away.

The activity center staff did not follow through with any of the planned activites.

The indoor pool was average.

• Liked — pet friendly
  • Disliked — Nothing to do & nothing around
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank VIKKIGZ
Kansas
Reviewed 29 September 2007

Silverleaf Fox River Resort, Sheridan IL

Resort - UGH! Where to start! I will tell you the positives first. If you like outdoor activities, such as 5 hole golf, miniature golf, fishing, hiking, fast food - thats it.

Now here is what we found:
A condo unit in the middle of no where, closest restaurant is 12 miles to a chinese and then on to Ottawa another 12 miles away - Cracker Barrel! Sheridan is a very long drive away. Norway the closest town has a tiny expensive grocery.

Lets start with the Kitchen. We usually like to cook most dinner meals in, at this resort it was a must! If only the Kitchen had been useable! The ice-maker in the refrig only worked part time, The stove wouldn't work when we arrived by messing with it we got 2 of the 4 burners to work. NO Garbage disposal! Bathroom size trash can. Mismatched dishes. No serving dishes only mixing bowls. The drawer that held the utensils fell out of the cabinet every time you opened the drawer. Nothing to heat water in. No Washer or Dryer.

Main room. All the furniture in this condo is rustic - made from twigs and sticks! The TV is on a side table with the DVD player sitting on the floor. Dirt and dust everywhere, vents, fans, corners. Chipping paint everywhere. Sweeper, mop, dust pan. broom sitting out in main room next to the TV. Terrible silk dirty flower arrangements. Seating at creaking table for 4 only - unit sleeps 6. But no bathroom for 6 unless they go through one of the bed rooms!

Master Bedroom. NO enclosed bathroom! Jetted tub with cloth curtains around it. The hot and cold water was plumbed backwards so you got hot water when you thought you were going to get cold - ouch! Hand held shower that was impossible to use except while sitting in tub but then you couldn't turn on the shower without turning off the water, so you couldn't adjust the temp before turning on the hand shower - ouch! The floor of the tub gave each time you stepped on it. No towel racks except a very small one next to the toilet in the toilet room. Ugly brown water spots on ceiling above the tub. No storage around the small sink. No closet - Armoire like cabinet to hang clothes. Toilet Room - so small that you could not sit on the toilet and close the door. You need to straddle the toilet standing close the door and then sit - reverse process to get out of this claustrophobic space! And don't look behind the door - because housekeeping doesn't! Hard as a rock bed! One bedside table only - other side of bed uses the floor!

Lock out bedroom- This is the smallest lockout one-bedroom we have ever seen! TV in a cabinet so short that you couldn't see it from the bed - we moved it to the top of the cabinet. Drawers in "Armoire" cabinet fell out each time you tried to open a drawer. The "mini" kitchen did not have any equipment, dishes or utensils. Bathroom had warm water only. Ceiling in bathroom had been only half painted - white and brown unique decor! 2 flat pillows only. The worst was that the Thermostat was a dummy - it did not control anything.

Unless you have no choice, do not waste your time share trade on this disaster. If you need to stay in the area, stay at The lodge at Starved Lake park or Big Bear Resort outside of Utica.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — See notes!
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
25 Thank DorthyKansas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sheridan
Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort
Hampton Inn Ottawa Starved Rock Area
Days Inn & Suites of Morris
Starved Rock Lodge & Conference Center
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#3 of 5 in Morris
Fairfield Inn & Suites Ottawa Starved Rock Area

Been to Holiday Inn Club Vacations Fox River Resort? Share your experiences!