“Nice for the Price”

Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Skokie
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Spent one night here while visiting our daughter in Chicago. We were greeted by very courteous employees and checked in within minutes. The room was clean and the beds were comfy. If you are spending time in downtown Chicago this might not be the right place for you. We were in close proximity to our daughter's apartment in Ravenswood (15 min drive), but didn't see much in the way of public transportation although I know there is public transportation into the city. Restaurants are close by, as while as a restaurant in the hotel. We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant so I can't comment on that. The pool closes early (9 pm), so we weren't able to take advantage of that amenity because we arrived right at 9 pm. Overall, I think we will stay again when visiting our daughter.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 March 2012

This is a perfectly lovely Holiday Inn. I'm not sure what some of the negative reviewers are talking about, my experience was very pleasant. Remember that it's a Holiday Inn, not the Omni. The room was clean and well appointed (mini fridge and microwave) the bed comfortable and the room clean and spacious. I didn't have much interaction with the staff but they seemed nice.

I had no problems parking, and there are many spaces that are set aside for overnight guests (as opposed to those attending weddings or conferences.) It is not easy to get to Chicago via transport as one reviewer pointed out, though that seems to raise the question: if you wanted to be in Chicago, why'd you book a hotel in Skokie? It's a bit like complaining that it's hard to get to LA from your hotel in San Francisco.

The reviewer who complained that there was only a thin curtain over the window that offered no privacy probably hasn't travelled much. The privacy blind is there behind the curtains; you just have to look.

If you have normal expectations of what a Holiday Inn has to offer, this hotel should exceed them.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank DrWill916
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I was pleasantly surprised after reading the reviews to walk into a relatively updated clean hotel. Check-in was quick and pleasant. Roll away bed was requested and delivered promptly. However, the room was so small and cramped that we had to rearrange furniture to shoe horn it in. We spent very little time there so not a huge deal. The room itself was clean and pretty well updated. After viewing a map of the hotel in the lobby, there is a noticeable size difference in the rooms in building "B" versus the other areas. Request a larger room if staying with a family. Pool was nice. Hot tub could have been cleaner. All employees were friendly and helpful and we would stay again if I could get a good deal.

Room Tip: If room size is an issue, don't stay in building "B"..
2  Thank claire r
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Walls were dirty. Our phone and TV did not work and we had to change rooms. The food in the restaurant was terrible, we ordered Ahi tuna and it came covered in a brown sauce and the vegetables were covered in the same sauce.

Free parking and WIFI.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Dear melinnewberg,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced with your room. I will follow up with the executive housekeeper to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. I was disappointed to read that you had a poor service experience when you visited the restaurant, we will review for possible modifications so to better accommodate our guest in the future.

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare

Reviewed 5 March 2012

We were surprised to find this little gem, close to Chicago, nicely decorated and a fantastic pool/hot tub.

Book online for the best price. We were concerned after we saw the prices for other Chicago-area hotels that we would really be paying high dollar, but we got a great deal: under $100 and a free breakfast to boot!

Definitely plan to stay here again.

Room Tip: Upper floors are quiet and peaceful.
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Rooms need major update but the pool is great. The kids love staying here and if the rate is good, it's ok. Close to the city. Rooms near the pool may be noisy but near the side are a little run down. You get what you pay for if you get a good rate.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Well I booked on priceline. When I got there it was a monday. The parking lot was swamped. Finding parking took forever. But can't really complain it is free. Well as soon as I get inside I see a bunch of business people walking everywhere. As I approached the front desk I see this poor girl getting yelled over parking. Like seriously you guys its not her fault. If anything yell at the idiots that booked the event and the owners for not making a parking garage. Well as I'm standing there all I'm thinking is wow I would have snapped if I was her.. Then came my turn she was very nice and upgraded me to the "tower" everyone talks about. The room had a window looking the outside. Nice touch I might say. Room very clean. Decent I had no complains. Wifi worked great on my laptop. As I'm walking to the restaurant Bar Louie fantastic food and music I might add. I over hear the manager arguing with a guest over their reservation. Apparently they booked trough priceline. So money is non refundable. So heads up on that people. Moments later in the restaurant I see the manager IN THE BAR! Like I was there for acouple of hours since I met up friends and he was always in there. Talk about irresponsability. Well my stay was very good compared to other people I may add. Check out was fabolous I had an older lady very nice. But if I was them I wouldn't have her standing for too long. She is elderly. Well guys hope my review was helpful.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank angievelasquez
vrizzo, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2012

Thank you for posting this review and allowing us to address your concern. It is unfortunate that there was a challenge when trying to locate a parking spot. Please be aware that this is a concern of the hotel and we prepare extra parking in advance. All we ask is that you stop by the front desk and we can tell you where to park. Thank you for the kind comment about the girl at the front desk. We have an awesome staff and never do we have to think twice. I would really like to learn more about the employee (manager) who was arguing with a guest and was in Bar Louie all that time. Please email me at your convenience so that we may find out what happened. Please include that date and time of your arrival in your email.

Please email me at vrizzo@hiskokie.com to discuss this further.

Vince Rizzo

Also consider these accommodations in or near Skokie
Rogers Park
Hampton Inn Chicago North - Loyola Station

Been to Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)? Share your experiences!