“Convenient location, average facility.”

Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Skokie
Nikau
“Convenient location, average facility.”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Another trip to visit family in Chicago, and as usual I Pricelined for a place to stay in Skokie. What is it with Priceline and their star ratings recently? Both this and the last place I stayed at in the area were a good star level below what I believed I was bidding for - or is it just Skokie? In any case I ended up paying a 'fair' rather than a 'bargain' rate for three nights. I could have used my dollars more wisely elsewhere (and gotten loyalty points in the process).

Anyhow, that is Priceline's issue, not HI Skokie's (I guess...). Check in was pleasant - my room was available early which was greatly appreciated and I received a requested quiet room. The complex is fortress-like - multiple blocks and adjoining parking areas. The blocks/rooms I saw were all facing an enclosed hallway with windows onto the hallway ... a bit odd but my curtains were drawn all the time so not an issue.

Room was OK - nice flat screen TV, microwave and fridge, decor neutral. Bed firm and comfortable. Wifi good. Carpet old and bunched up. Shower drain kept closing with the bath filling with cold water at my feet. Amenities somewhat randomly stocked (no conditioner on the first day). I was out most of the day and arriving back in the evenings I encountered parking issues. First night (Monday) I ended up swinging around the back - not great lighting and a decent hike from my room. There generally seemed to be a few random bods outside smoking at the rear entrances. The front would have felt safer but there was never a space to be had.

I found no vending machines but read they were near the front of the building - too far for me to bother with.

The hotel is directly across from McDonalds, next to a pancake place and a block away from Jewel Osco. It met my needs. I will, however, re-think my Priceline strategy for future stays in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Mirza B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Thank you for your kind review and sharing your concerns with us regards to our facility. You are a very valuable guest to us and we strive to ensure that every guest experience to their utmost satisfaction. We wiil ensure that proper support will be given in the future.
Best Regards,
Mirza

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Polish first
Richfield, Minnesota
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We arrived on a busy Friday afternoon (homecoming at Northwestern) and we were received by a very friendly front desk, who took time to explain the hotel and restaurant (Bar Louie's). Our room was very clean, the restaurant was great and everyone was very freindly. We choose the location because they are pet friendly and found this great location close to our son. We will definately stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Vianey R, Front Office Supervisor at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Bruce H,
We appreciate your kind words regarding our front desk staff. We have a great team which works extremely hard to provide great costumer service. I have shared your comments with our front desk staff and housekeeping letting them know that you where happy with the room. I am also happy to hear that you where please with Bar Louie and that you will be returning back when visiting your son. Again, thank you for your kind words and we hope to continue serving you.
Best regards,
Vianey R
Front Office Supervisor
stl
Reviewed 17 October 2013

My son attends Northwestern University in Evanston, we often stay at the Holiday Inn North Shore, it is close enough to campus yet far enough away not to be overrun with college students and traffic. Every time we have visited the staff has been awesome, the room extremely comfortable, the breakfast in the restaurant is a good value. I waited too late so the Hotel is sold out, I am very sad because many of the surrounding hotels charge $40 and up for parking. That is not the case for the Holiday Inn.

I will update next week on how we like our new location. Holiday Inn North Shore great hotel, great staff, and great location.

Room Tip: Join the Holiday In Priority club and you get preferred parking!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Thank you for your kind review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. We are glad you enjoy your stay with us. we are pleased with your comments and your candid feedback are greatly appreciated. We strive to ensure every guest experience to their utmost satisfaction. I hope we will have the pleasure of receiving you again in the future.
Best Regards,
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I had a great stay at this hotel.
Everyone on the staff was friendly, and having lemonade and water with orange slices in the lobby was a nice touch.
Getting some free breakfast coupons and a treat bag at check-in for being a rewards-club member was a pleasant, unexpected surprise.
The indoor pool was beautiful, and the water temperature was great -- not too hot and not too cold. The whirlpool was great, too. Towels were available poolside.
Having a refrigerator and a microwave, along with an easy-to-work coffee maker in the room was great. The room was really comfortable.
The hotel is close to a bus stop, so you can take a bus right to the Howard Street L station if you are relying on public transportation to get around. The bus comes about every 40 minutes.
The only problems were the music was too loud in the restaurant for breakfast, and there didn't seem to good air conditioning at times in the business center.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Thank Travelin Madely... D
Mirza B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay, our services, amenities, food and facilities. We place great value with our loyal clients and it has been our pleasure to serve them. We look forward to welcoming you back soon to Holiday Inn Skokie.
Respectfully,
Cedar Falls, Iowa
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a conference and the service was great. Super friendly staff and the food provide was great - the restaurant was just okay. The rooms were small but adequate and clean. The fitness center was small but had great equipment. The pool area was a great place to relax. I wish it was closer to the city, but the shopping mall across the street was really nice to explore! If I'm ever in town again, I'd definitely stay here.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Thank you very much for your kind review on Trip Advisor Website. The team and I were extremely happy to read your note and to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Our aim is to provide you and all our guests with a comfortable and memorable stay. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon to our property.
Chicago
Reviewed 19 September 2013

This hotel shouldn't be allows to claim they offer a fitness center. They literally have 5 dumbells, and nothing over 15 pounds (and only 1 15-pounder). + 3 treadmills (woo! if i want to run i'll go outside). If you're a male that wants to workout, don't stay at this hotel.
Also they had a random power outtage hotel wide mid day.
Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank fretallack
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Dear fretallack,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

We read with much concern about the unpleasant experience that you have encountered during your previous stay with us. I sincerely apologize for we fell below your expectations with regard to our fitness center. We endeavor to meet all guests’ expectations at all times and regret that we failed on this instance.

It is only through valuable feedback we receive from our valued customers that we would be in a position to know where we go wrong and rectify the circumstances or incidents, in order to ensure that we do not repeat the same in the future. We hope that you give us a chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Skokie hotels

Bucks
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stayed one night after arriving at Ohare. Short car drive to the hotel, fairly easy to find, parking on site, friendly and helpful reception staff. Room was nice and big, everything as expected, clean and working. Bar / grill on-site serves until quite late which is very useful Food was pretty good but the real plus was the selection of draft beers - excellent. Breakfast was either buffet or menu, good selection and quality was fine. Negatives are the rate, quite high, and the music in the public areas. Very loud near to the reception and awful, plus music during breakfast too loud. overall OK and would probably stay again for the same purpose, single night linked to travel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear woggsy,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We are pleased to know we were able to meet your expectations during your stay. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skokie
Rogers Park
Hampton Inn Chicago North - Loyola Station

Been to Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)? Share your experiences!