“I wouldn't stay here again”

Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Skokie
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We were placed here after using hotwire so we got a deal on the room. Had I been paying the regular rate I would have been very upset. The window in our room only had a sheer curtain with no black out drapes to draw so the privacy was terrible and there were street lights on all night outside our room. Since there were no blinds of blackout drapes the lights kept us up all night. When we returned to our room after being out all day the made looked like she hadn't even been there to clean. When we checked in they told us they had upgraded our room. I would hate to see what we would have been in had we not been updraded.

• Stayed: April 2014
Mirza B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Thank you for your recent stay with us at Holiday Inn Skokie. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this situation has caused you. We are truly sorry for the negative experience you had with our rooms. Your comments are very important to us as it helps us in our never ending task to better ourselves and our services. This is not a normal routine for our property and I will make sure to follow up with our staff. I will ensure that proper support will be given in the future and give us another opportunity.
Mirza

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)

Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed at this Holiday in for 6 nights. Had we been paying rack rate we would have moved out. This is an old hotel most of which previously had outdoor corridor entry. They have enclosed those outdoor corridors so that the window in most rooms looks out to the enclosed corridor. We were in room 267 which faces the back of the hotel and was fairly quiet. Rooms numbered 1000-4000 are newer I suspect. One of the positive things was the revamped air ventilation system which worked well in the room, but since there aren't heating vents in the bathroom is was generally cold. Neither of us wanted to take showers..it was that cold. I should also mention the 2 floor join covers, one as you enter the bathroom and the other in the bathroom on which I stubbed my toe more than once. They both needed a good cleaning with ammonia.

The room includes a fridge & microwave which was very handy for our longish stay. My main concern with the room was how dirty the floors were. We found items on the floor which must have been left by the last inhabitants. It took two calls to the front desk to get an acceptable vacuum job and the sheets changed. My husband found little black specs on a pillow.

I went down to the business center in the hope of printing 1 page. The printer required new ink. I used the phone in the room to call the front desk and told them I'd return after lunch to do my printing. When we returned there were 2 others hoping to print and the ink had not yet been changed in the printer. My hubby and one of the others went to speak with the general manager who was not there. Four hours later I phoned down to ask if the ink had been replaced and was assured that it was just done. I went downstairs only to find that it had still not been changed. Unbelievable. Once they finally changed the cartridge they didn't know how to clear the printer queue so they just let it print. I was able to find my job in the pile.

We had lunch and breakfast in the restaurant and were pleased with all meals.

They've done a beautiful job on the lobby area. We arrived on a Saturday night and had to fight our way through people to get to the front desk. I assume that they were attending whatever the event was in the ballroom. There was one morning we had a hard time getting to the front door because there was a job fair in the ballroom and people were lined up in the lobby blocking the front entrance. One would think that a hotel employee might have found a way to loop them around so that the entry was not blocked.

The pool/hot tub and the exercise room looked good although we did not use them. This hotel is located right off the Edens Expy which is handy for driving to DT Chicago. There is also lots of shopping the immediate area.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool and restaurant (inner courtyard) have the potential of being noisy.
1  Thank haz7
Mirza B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Thank you for your review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is very crucial and thank you for providing an honest assessment of the hotel. Regarding the service you experienced we are taking the necessary steps to prevent in the future. We apologize for the inconvenience and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the property in the future.
Respectfully,

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I am staying at this hotel only because this is where my company has placed me and they are paying for my room. I have checked in with a group of people and the experience was horrible from the first person we spoke to. There was an odor when you walked in the hotel. I couldn't tell what it was but it was horrible. I believe it may have been coming from the bar. I'm not sure if it was gas, cleaning products, or what, but it was terrible. Check in was a bit rocky. We asked about breakfast and was told it wasn't included - we had to point out to the front desk agent that our rate included breakfast. The hotel is very old. Rooms are very dirty. It looks like they've got a big bed with updated tv and sheets, but that is about it. I had an inside room facing the bar and indoor pool. The blackout curtains wouldn't close all the way so anyone could walk by my room and see inside at any point. I could go on and on nit-picking all of the little things that irritated me with customer service but I'll save that for the manager.

Room Tip: Do not get a room that faces the atrium. The "atrium" is the middle of the hotel where the...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Mirza B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Dear Trip Advisor Member,
I like to thank you for sharing your concerns with us regards to your experience. You are a very valuable guest to us and we never want to jeopardize the way you feel about Holiday Inn Skokie. I am sorry that your experience with our hotel was less than you expected. We strive to ensure that every guest experience to their utmost satisfaction, and it is obvious we did not meet those expectations. I will ensure proper support will be given in the future. Please accept my apologies, and give us another opportunity.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I had read mixed reviews on the Holiday Inn Skokie, so I was a bit leery. However, upon arrival, we were pleasantly surprised by the welcoming lobby, friendly front desk service, and HUGE guest room in the executive tower. The building is clearly older, but it was clean, well maintained, and updated.

There was a major snowfall the night we were there. I was kept up all night by the sounds of the plow scraping the parking lot. I suppose it couldn't be helped, but it wasn't a restful stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found our service as well as our facilities to your liking. I was especially pleased that our associates made you feel welcomed and took good care of you during your visit, you may rest assured that your comments have been shared with them. I hope that we will have the pleasure of receiving you again in the near future.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

This hotel is great for a family vacation. It has an indoor pool which is centrally located and provides a lot of fun for children. However many of the rooms are within close proximity of the pool and noise is a factor through the day and evening. However at night the hotel does a good job of limiting noise.

The hotel has what seems to be a popular bar and restaurant as well. There is no breakfast included what so ever which was a draw back.

The room was adequate. A bit dated although there is a flat screen TV. Ample space and comfortable beds. The bathroom however had issues with its plumbing and draining. Both in the sink and the bath tub. Also poor ventilation.

All in all I'd say this hotel is good for a family vacation with children or stop over. Not the best idea if you're by yourself or on a business trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the pool area if you value peace and quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Mirza B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Thank you very much for your positive feedback about your recent stay and for your recommendation. Our location is indeed convenient to points of interest and malls. We are pleased to know you were also satisfied with our amenities. We hope to welcome you at our property in the near future.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

I decided to have a few kids come out to celebrate my daughters birthday so I rented 2 rooms here. They placed me right near the pool which was great, and the pool was very nice. The room however, was NOT! The room was gross. Everything in the room was dated, which was fine, but dirty, NO. I don't think dirty is acceptable. The tub was cracked and there was stuff inside of it. The sheets felt like they had sand in them, but there is no beach???? The walls were just dirty. I would have left that room immediately had I not had 4 extra kids staying with me. I had no choice but to accept it. I could not even sleep I was so grossed out. There was no way I was even stepping in that shower. I stay at many hotels and have been in some dated ones, but the feel was still clean. This hotel needs some serious TLC in the rooms. Not cool.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Mirza B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Thanks for your feedback on your stay with us at Holiday Inn Skokie. I am very sorry to hear that you were generally disapponted with your stay. Rest assured I have reviewed your comments with the appropriate staff members so we can take the necessary steps to cure the deficiencies outlined in your review. Thanks again for your comments. we truly appreciate your patronage.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Skokie Holiday Inn has great rates, the rooms are clean and modern; the hotel also has an indoor pool. The hotel bar usually has a good crowd and always has a good selection of premium beers on tap. If you don't want to stay in, there are plenty of local restaurants worth checking out. You are also only 15 minutes from downtown and 10 minutes from the airport.

The staff are friendly and helpful. We needed silver ware for take out, they sent it to our room right away. I expected to head down to the restaurant to get it.

The wifi is solid and the t.v. has all the major channel including HBO.

Overall, I would recommend giving it a try. Good rates. close near to everything, helpful and friendly staff. Also, free parking. Which is always an issue in Chicago.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Mirza B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am thrilled to learn that you had a memorable stay with us. I have shared your comments with the team and all thank you for kind words and for giving us the chance to offer you a comfortable and enjoyable stay. I was especially pleased with your comments about our staff and the fact they made you feel welcome and well taken care of. I hope that we will have the pleasure of receiving you again in the future.
Mirza

Also consider these accommodations in or near Skokie
Rogers Park
Hampton Inn Chicago North - Loyola Station

Been to Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)? Share your experiences!