“Convenient”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Skokie
hlager
“Convenient”
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Stayed here with family from out of town, they were unfamiliar with Chicago and were just passing through. They wanted me to take them on the "L" and this hotel was very close to the skokie swift yellow line which is also a good place to teach people how to ride the L as it isn't as busy as Chicago and State. This hotel looked brand new the rooms were nicely decorated. They were on the small side though. The location is probably the best thing as its put of the way of traffic yet close enough to the city and transportation. Also because of the location you get a bit of a price break, but it was a nice area..I've never stayed in Skokie but was left with a good impression. The staff was just average. Overall a good pick and place to stay.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank hlager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Enjoyed our stay here. The room was very nice, beds were comfortable. Shopping nearby. The kids enjoyed the pool and it was warm, nice to indoor and outdoor pool. The exercise room was also nice. We enjoyed the restaurant that was attached, they had large portions and good food.

Would return.

bayshore ny
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Very Nice Hotel located close to Shopping Mall restaurants and 10 minutes from Northwestern University. Clean Rooms.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights to get settled in for school at Northwestern. It's located only a few miles away, but very close to shopping, which was convenient for me. Located right across from the mall, next door to a Jewel grocery store (open 24/7) and a Marshalls and Old Navy. Paid 100$/night for their getaway promotion (booked online), which included the breakfast buffet at the restaurant next door (decent selection of hot and cold options). Staff was friendly. Rooms were comfortable, although the bathroom was a bit small. Everything was clean. Gym was small, but had sufficient equipment. The hotel is pretty big and there seemed to be an event going on that weekend. Overall it was a good experience and I would stay here again.

2 Thank hellotqoe
Geneva, Illinois
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I came with a group to attend some concerts at Ravinia, see the Chicago botanic gardens, and go into the city. The location and travel were easy for all trips. The hotel room was very clean and comfortable. The conference room we used was clean and bright and the temperature was quick and easy to control. Breakfast seems to get very crowded, especially on weekends, unless you eat early! Buffet is setup or you can order from the menu - also, omelets are made for you at a stand. The guest rooms were nicely updated, although the bath was a bit small - one person at a time. Free wi-fi, mini-fridge and iron and ironing board and hair dryer were provided. Good complimentary shuttle service provided by hotel - used it for the Golf Road metra station and a trip into Evanston for dinner. Believe they will cover a 5-mile radius of the hotel - just sign up at the front desk. Last note: wonderful, warm chocolate chip cookies await you at check-in -- don't miss them!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank wanderwoman47
courthirsch, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, 15 August 2011
Dear Wanderwoman47 -

Thanks so much for the compliments regarding your most recent stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!

Hospitably
Minneapolis
Reviewed 11 August 2011

I have been to this hotel many times, and I must say...more than a year since my last trip, and I was not impressed. Still the same price...or perhaps a little higher, but definitely not the same service or the same clean, tidy hotel I use to know. First of all, check in took forever, even though I didn't get there until about midnight. Staff was very friendly, but the lines were long and troubled. When I finally got up to my room, I noticed how dirty everything was...the lobby, the floors, the elevator. I chalked it up to a busy evening, assuming all would be as it was before in the morning. But not so much. Still had some very dirty elevators and the carpeting was in desperate need of a good vacuuming. In all fairness, I think they had some beauty pageant going on, but I think they had enough staff to keep the place clean. Noise was also another issue. While this is always a very busy place, it was far noisier than ever before...lots of teenagers screaming and doors slamming throughout the night and into the morning hours. Since I had a workshop in town, on day two, we decided to eat at the restaurant, which I had not been to before. While it still looks the same, it is under a new name and new management, and all I can say is...how disappointing. Service was great, atmosphere was great, but the food was overpriced and really bad. No one at the table ate everything. In fact, no one barily took a nibble. I could understand if we all ordered the same thing and it was just one bad dish, but out of the four of us, we all ordered something different. Personally, I can attest I couldn't even choke down three bites of the meatloaf. It reminded me a bit of what I use to get from the cafeteria in highschool. Honestly...it was awful. Pretty disgusting to pay a $60.00 bill for three people on a quick lunch when $55.00 worth of food ended up in the trash. While I can still attest the location is ideal, I can also say that there are other hotels in the area I will be trying out next time around. Sadly, for the high price they charge, I do not think I will not be coming back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank elle55407
Good morning -

First, let me thank you for letting us know where we failed and how we can get better. We read these reviews daily want use the feedback you provide to constantly try to get better.

Secondly, please accept by sincerest apologies that we didn't live up to the DoubleTree by Hilton expectations you've come to know. Yes we were busy, but as you point out it is unacceptable to not have a clean, orderly and quiet hotel to rest in.

I have forwarded your comments to the owner and manager of the restaurant in the hotel; they like us will be reviewing these comments to improve.

I hope you do give us another try; what you experienced isn't the way we normally operate and we would love another chance to live up to what we all should expect from a DoubleTree.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Great cookie at check in but that was about it. Still looking for that nice hotel to stay in to visit family in Chicago that doesn't cost more to park than to sleep. This one seemed to fit the bill as the parking was free. However, other than a cookie at check in, not much more free. The elevators are horrible. We waited and waited and waited for elevators and when they did come, and you get in, they don't move! All the guests were complaining. So it wasn't a one time thing. I have stayed in this hotel before, but this time it seems worn and tired. Maybe other floors have been updated, but this floor seems very worn. Not necessary dirty, just old and worn out. Nothing extra in this hotel either. Very bare bones.

Dear Phxaz54 -

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us but I do appreciate you letting us know. I understand about the elevator situation and we are looking into trying to get that remedied quickly. I also apologize that your floor wasn't as fresh as you have come to expect. We do our best to ensure that every guest's stay is satisfactory but unfortunately we do sometimes fail.

We do hope you'll come back and give us another try so we can show you the true DoubleTree by Hilton experience you've come to know and appreciate.

Hospitably --
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skokie
Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago North Shore/Skokie
Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)
Residence Inn Chicago Wilmette
Hyatt House Chicago/Evanston
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Skokie
Holiday Inn Chicago North Evanston

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore? Share your experiences!