“Decent hotel in convenient location” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore

DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Skokie
Grand Rapids, MI
“Decent hotel in convenient location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

We booked two rooms for a family stay, and we received exactly what we asked for. This is pretty no-frills, but everything worked and was as expected. The free internet is nice, and the restaurant is more than OK. There are plenty of chain restaurants within walking distance, like iHOP and Panera, and the Old Orchard Shopping Center is across the road. The service is friendly. Rooms seem to have been redone, with beautiful big flat screen TV's, nice bathrooms, very clean. Towels were a little worn, but clean. I'd stay there again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ashland, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Air conditioning is needed in room 1020. The temperature was set at 60 degrees and the fan all the way up and the room still felt like a sanua. I have asked they document that I am not to be placed in that room for future stays.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I booked a room here for an extended weekend in the Evanston/Skokie area. Using Hotwire for a Fri – Sun night stay at the beginning of Nov, I got a room for 2 adults at $63/night; $75.50 w/ taxes & fees. For that price the room was worth it and I’d recommended a stay. But at the regular price of $112/night (w/o taxes & fees) I don’t think the place is worth it and think you can find a better value in the area since there are a number of hotels in the vicinity.
I greatly appreciated the hotel was flexible regarding check in. Since my boyfriend was traveling separately and there was a good possibility he would get there before me I called the hotel beforehand and they were more than happy to take his name and allow him to check in before I arrived. We received warm chocolate chip cookies at check in which is always appreciated. The hotel has a pool that spans indoors and outdoors which looked nice but we did not use it. There’s no public hot tub or sauna. The hotel also has an onsite restaurant & fitness room but we did not use either. The free in room internet was acceptable but we used it only sporadically. There is plenty of free, well lit parking on site.
For what we needed the location was fabulous. There are lots of places to eat within walking distance. We especially appreciated the Panera Bread across the street. There is also an upscale mall, Westfield Old Orchard, diagonally from the parking lot. It was also convenient to Northwestern Univ and the lake, which what was important to us. We did not use public transit and did not go into downtown Chicago but the train stations are not that far away but not walkable IMHO. Plus the hotel was easy to find for us out of towners.
They gave us a 3rd floor room with two queen beds but it still had plenty of room for 2 adults to move around comfortably. The bathroom however was tiny; 2 adults could not use it at the same time. The room had a mini fridge which worked just fine but no microwave. The TV had lots of channel choices but no pay per view movies, which I thought was odd for a 3.5 start hotel. The bed, linens and pillows were all very, very comfortable and we had no problems sleeping. The entire room was clean, nothing was ripped, torn, stained, worn looking, with everything in working condition. However the thermostat did not reflect the room temp; I think it was because the heating/cooling system is so old. We had to set the thermostat to 62 deg otherwise the room was too hot to sleep. But once we figured that out, it was comfortable.
Housekeeping did an ok job but not excellent. I always tip housekeeping daily so expect everything to be clean and/or replaced when I return. That did not happen every day and had to call on 1 occasion for glassware which was not replaced. But it was promptly brought to our room.
Overall for the price it was an excellent stay and I would recommend this hotel to anyone, especially if you do not pay full/list price.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Skokie, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

This was a miserable trip which surprised me after my warm welcome at the front desk. I was placed in a room that contained two double beds when I booked a king plus I am a Gold member that has a preference listed as a king. The room was also an adjoining room, and the other was under construction.They were working on it well after 8pm the nights I was there. Not conducive to sleep or work after a long day of training. The cleaning lady also took my bottles of water. This hotel was recommended by my company and friends and I will not stay there again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

1 Thank Katherine C
Bay village, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

During my recent stay at the DoubleTree in Skokie we experienced great service from the front desk staff especially, Maria. I had a small issue with my shower and it was taken care of immediately and without question. We were made to feel at home quickly and without drama. I would recommend this location to anyone who wants a hassle free stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Everything seemed okay when I stayed at this hotel last wed, though it did not seem as clean as I like it. But the next morning I looked down onto my pillow, and lo and behold- a bug….and a bit of blood on my top sheet. Now the night before I did look at the mattress and did not see anything, but I would not recommend staying here. Also their breakfast buffet was not very good!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank bdre18
Brighton, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

Nice property, well maintained. Restaraunt was very good. Pool was nice. This survey is longer than it needs to be. I would not participate in it again. It is very aggravating, and I don't very often have 200 characters to compliment any hotel!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Also consider these accommodations in or near Skokie
Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago North Shore/Skokie
Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)
Residence Inn Chicago Wilmette
Hyatt House Chicago/Evanston
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Skokie
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore? Share your experiences!