“Sour Faced Service”
Review of Libertad

Libertad
Reserve with OpenTable
Libertad is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 210 Restaurants in Skokie
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Oakton & Lincoln
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Libertad has amazing food - fresh and creative, even if the portions are a little small for the price. It's a nice treat and heck, it's in Skokie, so no driving 45 minutes to downtown or needing a babysitter for 5 hours. It's lively and has a great vibe. I have recommended it to countless friends and the flavors, combinations and quality of the food is always a hit. We love it!!!

The only thing that can be a let down is the service. There are some really nice people that work there and love what they do, which is a huge contrast to the rude service we experienced yesterday (Sunday) from a girl who managed to bring down the energy of the entire room, not to mention the meal. She barely made eye contact and made us feel like we were imposing on her by being there at all.

She spent next to no time near the table, which is hard to do since the place is so small, barely barked out more than one syllable at a time and actually sighed (loudly) to herself when we asked questions about something we hadn't tried before. She was so nasty that we talked about just leaving, but joked that WE were worried about seeming rude. I was heavily invested in getting my Latin food and drink fix so we stayed.

It totally ruined the end of our day and you could see other guests taking notice. It's such a nice place and excels in every other area. I would have been embarrassed for any of my friends to have driven all the way up to Skokie from the city on my recommendation and be treated like we were.

Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

The food is great, however the portions are small for the price. Seating is very tight, allowing no privacy between table conversations.

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Should the word get out on how outstanding the flavours are, well it would become impossible to get reservations. Modern, sleek decor, open grilled , techno rustic small space with superior servers who are your bartenders also, big thanx to Artouro. Tastes are insanely subtile with freshest ingredient, hidden grain treasures like blackrice and farro in combinations you would never expect. Pricey for plated size so bring friends and plan to pass platters for a bite or two. Will return asap as wallets allow.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

We really enjoyed everything we tried at Libertad. The combination of ingredients dance on the tongue. Pick something you enjoy eating and prepare to be wowed. The calabaza was amazing: butternut squash with wild mushroom risotto beautifully balanced. The pulpo plate was stunningly filling because the pieces of octopus were substantial. The veneras (scallops) were perfectly seared and complimented by a black rice with a yuzu-habanero-butter sauce that made you want the taste to last forever. By the time we reached the lamb plate, I was full. Nevertheless I pressed on. The lamb was tender and tasty. I am not a big fan of kale so I didn't care for the kale under the chayote and butternut squash, but I do believe that the kale tasted good. And, if I hadn't already been full, I might have enjoyed it more.

Staff recommend 2 plates per person, like a tapas place. I thought 3 plates split between two people were sufficient because the portions are larger than found in a tapas restaurant. The drinks were great, too. We tried the sangria--light and refreshing with fresh fruit you can eat--and margarita. The margarita was great, too, and different than ones I usually drink in the sense that it is light like a fresh squeezed juice. I loved it!

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Definitely worth the travel up to Skokie for this place. Fabulous cocktails, wonderful food, good portions. All in all, a very nice experience. Get a Margarita! You'll be glad you did!