The Wee Waif
The Great House At Sonning(Sonning-on-Thames)(Great Value!)
US$154
The Baskerville(Shiplake)(Great Value!)
US$154
US$149
Great 4.5/5
Travelodge Winnersh Triangle(Winnersh)(Great Value!)
US$71
US$138
Good 3.5/5
US$150
  • Restaurant
All reviewshot waterdecent sizefull englishyogurtwee waifreadingbarmaidhenleytravelodge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This is a low cost hotel but clean and basic we found it to be comfortable and sufficient for our needs. The breakfast is very good and has a fair variety of food. This is a Hungary Horse restaurant and the evening meals are typical of this group of inns, in that the food is basic but well served and eatable.
The hotel is easy to reach from Reading and has adequate free parking space.
Our only criticism is when arriving in the evening there can be a long wait for reception to me manned, use the phone on the top to call the bar to get service. Possibly short staffed at that time.

Room Tip: Book directly by phone and get an included breakfast.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Excellent spacious rooms Pleasant staff and conveniently situated for access to Reading and Henley. Free parking on site and adjacent to restaurant if required. Plenty of places to visit for families and only 20 minutes drive away from Wellington Country Park.

Room Tip: All rooms of same standard and quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 July 2013

wow was very pleased for the price i paid for a one night stop over the room was clean and tidy could of done with a fan tho as it was very hot breakfast was good and the staff were very helpfull was set in a nice area was easy to find from reading train station would stay again if im ever up that way again

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

The pub is great it has great and quick service we were glad we didn't have wait long for our food .
it had a lot of temenpting cakes on display and did slush puppies also so I thought it was a nice pub the toilets were clean I would stay again as its a good location and a great pub

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 1 June 2013

This was not my choice but I went along to please. I had tried to reserve a table the previous evening but the phone went unanswered and eventually I left a message asking them to call me. They didn't. I called much later and was told " we don't normally accept reservations for that time but on this occasion I will". The wording and the tone could have been better.
So we arrived. It was busy and is obviously a popular choice for families. It all seemed a bit tired. There were some stains on the upholstery and tables were a bit sticky.
The starters were ok. I asked for mine without sauce . They turned up with the wrong starter initially. They did not all arrive at the same time. One of the party had soup which looked and tasted fine.
The mains are quite cheap which reflects the ingredients and quality. I struggled to find something (mainly because I am fussy and like to know the quality/source of fish/meat etc).
I decided to have the steak pie. Big mistake. The pastry was dreadful, flabby and very strange tasting - was it made with lard only or oils and not with butter? I left most of it. I left the mash - again a taste I did not like. The meat was not great. Roasted chicken looked just ok with a horrible round bit of stuffing - obviously it is all pre done and portioned out. The peas were said to be hard.
Worst of all, we saw a child open the cake/dessert chiller cabinet, put his hand in a dessert and knock the strawberry off and play with it before flicking it into a corner of the cabinet..Parents were oblivious. Who bought that dessert? We didn't wait to find out although we did tell the waiter!.
Will not return.