“Bored staff”

Best Western Reading Calcot Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Calcot
Reviewed 24 May 2014

One of the worst hotels I have stayed at, the visit did not start well. The receptionist appeared bored and was anything but helpful, the rooms were old and dated and other staff away from the restaurant were similar to the receptionist.

The food both dinner and breakfast was very good but do not do enough to rescue the hotel from a terrrible rating.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stayed here for 1 night in May whilst visiting family in Reading and wasn't very impressed the room was small and dark. The bathroom was tiny and old. When I first arrived I found a pair of pants in the room that wasn't mine or my girlfriends. Don't think I would stop their again in a hurry. The best thing was that it had a big carpark.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Maybe my review will be a bit biased, as I am quite a regular guest.
The hotel is definitely nice and despite it's on a busy road, you will not be bothered by the traffic noise (maybe, owing to thin walls, you might hear what's happening in next room) and there's plenty of parking. Rooms are confy, clean and spacious with a desk which, together with the complimentary wi-fi connection, helps you to catch up with work. Bathrooms are large enough for your needs. I would just improve a few things: the plumbing (when I take a shower I like a very powerful water jet), the curtains (so that you are not waken up by sunlight at 5h00) and the thickness of the walls (if you hear the TV brodcast in next room, can be annoying,. If another kind of performance is going on, it could be embarassing). The restaurant offers a wide range of feshly prepared foods and dishes are very wel presented. Also breakfast is very nice. Staff is helpful and caring. I would recommend it

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank mattomatteo71
Reviewed 15 May 2014

A lot of the reviews I have read are pretty negative towards this hotel. With this in mind I will only touch on the great points.

All of the staff that I spoke to were very nice and welcoming. regardless weather they were front of house or cleaning staff.

The rooms in the older part of the hotel are quite small with creaky floorboards, but the rooms in the newer part are a lot bigger. The main thing that I noticed was that the hotel was very well maintained. Paint was fresh etc. It was very very clean ( an absolute credit to the management).
The breakfast and restaurant food was first class.

Being a traveler who stays in quite a few hotels, I particularly liked the bar area, it has quiet secluded areas were you can be on your own, but not stand out.

To sum up..... this hotel has a very homely character (for a hotel) all of its own. I would recommend staying here.

Thank you..

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Just your average hotel with nothing to speak home about, the rooms are basic and with paper thin walls and floors hearing everything in rooms around you. Would go back in a hurry as I like a bit more luxury when Im away from home.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Stayed here for one night, the room was clean think it had been recently decorated, the bathroom was a bit dated with the toilet taking forever to fill, but the shower worked fine. The breakfast was lovely worth the extra charge. We didn't eat in the restaurant for our evening meal we walked the short distance to the Indian near by where the chicken balti and garlic nan was good the rest was ok not great. Then we spent the rest of the evening in the bar but was a bit disappointed to be told they were closing at 11pm, it felt a bit like we were being told to got to bed. We weren't the only people in the bar there were quite a few others in there so not happy about that. The hotel it's self is on a very busy road and I did get woken up in the middle of the night by an idiot that thought it was a racing track, with the loudest exhaust possible. All in all I don't think I'll stay here again only really good point was the breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for business, I wish I didn't it was vile. My towel was dirty, don't think it had ever seen a washing machine. The bathroom was dated and there was no flannel. The television was so small there was no point it being there, the walls are so thin you can hear EVERYTHING in the rooms next door. I didn't eat here because it was so horrible, there is a handy McDonalds just down the road tho! I truly recommend that you pay a bit more a stay in Reading itself

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calcot
Ibis Reading Centre
pentahotel Reading
pentahotel Reading
#7 of 31 in Reading
Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading

Been to Best Western Reading Calcot Hotel? Share your experiences!