“Poor value for £90 for one person”

Best Western Reading Calcot Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Calcot
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I accept I only stated here for one night, arrived tired and late and didn't eat here apart from breakfast but my overall impression wasn't great. The postcode given took me three miles away and when I finally arrived and asked if this was a common problem the lady in reception said it was but offered no understanding or sympathy that it had been a problem. My room, number 26 was on the ground floor and it was ok but it smelt of damp and it started to irritate my nose and eyes after a while. The bed was lumpy and had a horrible plastic mattress cover on it which moved with me and ended up bunched up in the middle of the bed. The from above had the worst floorboards and felt like a herd of elephants every time the person above moved about which was a lot!

At 6am I was woken by the noise form able and couldn't get back to sleep. I had breakfast which had a good offer of choices but the items I chose from the the hot buffet were cold. When I checked out there was no "was everything alright" and I got a half hearted smile and no real acknowledgement.

I am not a fussy guest, most of my other reviews are three stars or more but at £90 a night for just me I expected better service and a more comfortable experience. No excuse when you are charging high prices in my view to have a noisy room or a cheap bed with plastic covers on it. Not the Best Western standards I normally find.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed here a few years back and have just returned and really enjoyed my stay. I enjoyed seeing the same friendly faces that I saw on my previous stay, can you believe it one even remembered me !!! (I think her name was Alice ) How's that for customer service.
I found the room I had of a good standard, the bathroom had a newly fitted bathroom which was great. Breakfast was of a good standard. All the staff I came across were friendly and efficient, I will certainly return when I am in the area again....Well done a great stay

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We booked 3 rooms here for my daughter's graduation last Friday. The rooms were adequate, comfortable and just what we needed. We were able to check in early, having requested this in advance. All the staff were helpful and friendly. We had drinks in the bar when we arrived back at the hotel after the graduation celebrations and we were greeted with a smile by the friendly lady behind the bar, despite out late request for drinks. Breakfast was good, not too much choice, but everything was fresh and hot. The only complaint we have was that for some reason the people above our rooms, thought it was a good idea to wake up at 4am and then walk around their bedroom for 4 hours until breakfast at 8am!! Not quite sure why they were doing this, but obviously not the fault of the hotel, although the floor boards very creaky and we could hear every footstep! However despite this, we would recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 29Poppy
Reviewed 12 July 2014

My Company Exemplo Training Solutions booked 2 rooms here this week and are returning in a months time so were more than happy with the standard of this hotel. Nice friendly Reception staff and the bar and breakfast staff were very helpful as well.

1  Thank Goldie1966
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We remember stopping @ this hotel thirty years ago , and it does NOT seemed have changed much apart for an extension, you feel its living on past glories ,from the car park , entrance steps and door ,reception, bar , restaurant .all had that 70 ,80 feeling .
We paid for a luxury room to supply a 4 .6 ins standard floppy bed disappointing , Positive the free Wi Fi was excellent .
Can only assume the owners are awaiting an offer from a multiple to purchase the excellent site ,just off the M 4 , and very close to the new to be opened I K E A .
In spite of adverse comments by other travellers , No management response . Maybe tells a story !

Room Tip: Difficult to answer even the Luxury room were poor , bathrooms very dated ,poor sized beds
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank atw1946
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Booked into this hotel on internet as close to friends we were visiting. As it was a Best Western I though I knew what standards to expect, but this place fell below them. Lots of little things made the stay not what we would expect. Basic is how I would describe the hotel. For the price £95 for one night, I expected more. Bill was over charged until I pointed out mistake. Won't return here.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Be warned. You can get a pint of foster for £3.70. A pint of lemonade and orange will cost an eye watering £5.30. When I asked why I was told its because we use to bottles of orange!!!! Really it's a rip off and as I'm a corporate customer of one of the largest supermarkets I am posting my receipt to the finance department in Oder for them to re look at our hotel choices as a business. I'm shocked!!!

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Jamie0199
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calcot
Beech House Hotel
Hilton Reading
Hilton Reading
#2 of 31 in Reading
Novotel Reading Centre

Been to Best Western Reading Calcot Hotel? Share your experiences!