“Wonderful, cosy hotel”

The Mill House Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Swallowfield
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My family stayed at this hotel for my son's wedding. It was a wonderful experience. It is a quaint old building with many rooms, but plenty of room. Bedrooms were not large, but it was an old building. The beds were comfortable and everywhere looked clean.
The back garden is gorgeous with a large lawn next to a small river. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly and it almost felt like we were staying in a family home. Food was creative and well cooked. The hotel is set within a very rural setting, but is on a road that connects easily with the M4 at Reading.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Mzee-Iron-Bird

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Just stayed here for a mates wedding, have to say they did a fantastic job with the venue and service. The marquee setting for the reception was wonderful... The staff were also very friendly..

The disappointment for me was our room..

I can only describe the room we had as a shoe box..This would have been fine if I was on my own, however not suitable for 2 people. Along with a small room, the bed was far to small for two people, even with our backs to each other my wife and I could hardly fit in the bed.There was a not so clean looking bed throw, with an old blanket underneath followed by a single white sheet with a large brown stain on, not pleasant (the stain would of been clearly visible when prepping the room)... The room also had unpleasant odour to it, I can only describe as a drain/toilet smell that stayed the whole time..

I some how had in my mind that the room was £79 pound, discounted for the wedding which I was ready to challenge as I did not think it to be worth that amount... I was shocked to discover the room was actually £90... as the 'bride' had just walked up at the moment i was paying I did so without complaint....

The night before we stayed just down the road at the Hilton Hotel, £10 cheaper and on a completely different level..

Again, great for a wedding venue, just a shame about the room we had..

Room Tip: Don't pick room 3
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Steven P
themillhouse14, Owner at The Mill House Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to visit trip advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your friends wedding so much and very sorry that you were disappointed with your room. The room that you stayed in is sold midweek as a single bedroom and is very popular with regular guests. With just a few bedrooms at the hotel, when there is a wedding party there is normally a high demand for double rooms. All of the rooms are allocated by the bridal party and the room you stayed in, along with one other, can be used as a small double (4ft bed) at a reduced price of £80.00 so you were overcharged for your room which I apologise for.

I am shocked abut the stained bedding as we have a reject policy in place for linen that is not up to standard. With regards to the smell in the room I have tried to investigate where this is coming from as no odour is present today but I will certainly ask the housekeepers to keep a close eye to ensure that if there is a problem we can resolve it.

I understand that you did not want to make us aware of this in front of the bride, a little surprised that you chose to make your comments on a public website, and of course will issue a refund for your overcharge. Please do contact me directly so that I can issue the refund as soon as possible.

Many thanks for your comments.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

We have just had our wedding at the mill house & I couldn't have wished or hoped for a better day.the owners Kim & Mark are so hospitable,and made sure everything on the day and run up went without a fault,I would also like to say all the staff are so courteous & professional.
I could not fault this venue,& can honestly say I don't think we could have picked a better venue.all our guests commented on how lovely everything was & how amazing & hot the food was.i would highly recommend this venue for your wedding,if you want somewhere amazing & owners that care & will make sure your wedding day is the best it can be.kat & mike sumray

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 4 December 2011

I booked this for my Dad's 80th birthday party with about 65 guests in December; we'd never been here before and put our trust in the large number of happy reviews on TripAdvisor.

Kim couldn't have been more helpful in planning and advising - I was organising at a distance so hadn't even visited, didn't know florists etc. I didn't want it to be too Christmas-y, the curse of a December birthday, and sent a photo of the sort of table flowers I wanted and they were done exactly as I had hoped by Kim's recommended florist. She was also great with all the inevitable stragglers and last minute drop-outs.

The lunch menu was fabulous; my Dad pronounced both it and the wine list perfect - and as someone who has eaten many Michelin starred meals in his time he should know! We had a few guests with serious food allergies and these were all easily worked around with no fuss at all.

On the day the food was gorgeous - looked beautiful and tasted delicious. The service was impeccable, both from Mark who was in charge and from the waiting staff. The event was very smoothly organised - in the sort of way you don't really notice because it's done so well.

With regard to the comments re decor etc - we didn't use the bedrooms, but the place isn't Malmaison and that is its charm. It's more like being in someone's family home with all it's quirks and so it has the most lovely friendly and relaxed atmosphere - just perfect for such a family occasion.

I totally recommend The Mill House. I called my Dad after he'd got home and while we were travelling back to our home; he raved about his do all the way from Oxford to Coventry - and that, I think, says it all!

Room Tip: i make no comment on sleep quality / rooms / children's activities as we didn't use them
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Flo S
Reviewed 25 November 2011

We returned to the Millhouse for a friends wedding in September this year, 3 years after having our own wedding there, and it was great to be back and enjoy as a guest.

The venue is a perfect choice for a wedding with both the hotel and the grounds being very well looked after and cared for. Perfect for photo's (if the rain holds off!). The staff are excellent and the food is always top quality, and the marquee is excellent when it is up in the summer months.

The rooms, although some pretty small are all well appointed & clean with flat screen TV's and Freeview, and private bathroom facilities.

It was great to go back, and i'm sure if you have your special day there you wont be disappointed.

I'm sure we will be back to celebrate anniversary's in the future.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We got married at the Mill House 10 years ago and had a wonderful day so decided to celebrate our 10th anniversary here. We could not have made a better choice , the weather (outside of anyone;s control) was perfect so our guests enjoyed pre lunch drinks and post lunch coffee in the lovely gardens. The staff were attentive and chef just smiled and obliged when asked for well done beef. Overall the food was excellent and we have promised ourselves it will not be 10 years before we visit again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Mike S
Reviewed 21 October 2011

I booked Mill House Hotel for my husband's wake. Kim offered special room rates and we took every room in the hotel. Everyone was very pleased with the treatment they received whilst staying at the hotel, except for one tiny complaint about the size of bed in one of the single rooms. I and my sons joined those staying at the hotel for a meal on the evening before the funeral and we all ate again on the evening after the funeral. Kim could not have been more helpful in helping me with organisation for the whole weekend, and she and her staff coped excellently with approx 200 attendees at the wake including the considerable feat of organising parking for 100+ cars. The only suggestion I would make is that if possible, it would help if staff could be aware of who is who. I did not manage to get a tea or coffee at the funeral; and at dinner the night before the funeral someone on my table had to wait 15 minutes after everyone else had their food as their order was given to my mother-in-law ahead of meals ordered for that table, as the waitress deemed she should take precedence over others. This was wrong since if the person on my table had not given me their meal, I would have been waiting alone for my meal! However, these are small niggles compared to the magnificent effort Kim and Mark put into ensuring everything went smoothly for what was an important day for me and my sons. Food was excellent in the restaurant and at the wake, the venue was lovely, and everything was handled without fuss. I especially appreciated that Kim welcomed me and my guests at the front door to the hotel. l also appreciated that we were able to use the hotel's public rooms throughout the weekend as this minimised the amount of visitors arriving randomly at my home during a stress-filled time. It was a party I would have hoped never to have had to book, but thanks to Kim and her team it was a perfect venue and everyone said it was good party which my husband would have loved, so I don't think I can give higher praise.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swallowfield
Cantley House Hotel
De Vere Wokefield Estate
De Vere Wokefield Estate
#1 of 1 in Stratfield Mortimer
Best Western Plus Reading Moat House Hotel

Been to The Mill House Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!