“lovely food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Highwayman

The Highwayman
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Checkendon
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Highwayman Inn is located in a beautiful hamlet near Checkendon, on the Berkshire, Oxfordshire border, only an hour from London and 20 minutes from Reading and Henley on Thames. The pub dates back to the 16th century and still retains some of its original characteristics.Our aim is to create a warm and welcoming atmosphere in comfortable surroundings in which to enjoy our award winning food. We are committed to using local suppliers and produce with above all an eye for quality.If things go wrong or are not to your taste then please talk to us. We are genuine people that work really hard and care about what we do. We are always happy to listen to comments that will help us to improve our business and product. We want you to have an experience that is what you wanted and expected. It is disappointing enough to know that we have not given the best of ourselves but to read it later on the internet when it could have been dealt with at the time is frustrating and upsetting.Whether in my establishment or any other talk to the staff treat them with respect and they will work that much harder for you.
St Martins, United Kingdom
“lovely food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

we came from the channel islands for a long weekend break and were told about the inn by a friend so we stopped there for a meal we had the beef which was done to prefection and the chocalate trio for desert and my girlfriend loved it all we would give them 6 stars and will call in again if we are ever in the area again well done to the staff and chef...

• Visited May 2012

Caversham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, great service in a lovely setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

We live in Caversham where there are many good pub/restaurants within easy distance but our most favourite one is The Highwayman. Delicious home cooked food, well-presented and reasonably priced. Friendly, welcoming and helpful staff. Somewhere to take friends and relatives to in the knowledge that the meal wiill always be of a high standard.

• Visited May 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Great food, stunning location, fantastic service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

Booked for my mums birthday, and asked for a good table. When we got there they advised us that we had a choice of 2 tables which they had saved for us. OK so the restaurant wasn't full but the thought was nice.
The service was great, the waiters were there when you needed them but never disturbed you, they just let you get on with things, which is great as I do dislike being asked if everything is ok when I have a mouth full of food.
The food was sublime and it all seemed to be made on site. The only fault I would state is that the stocky toffee pudding was very dry in the middle.
The setting is great too, not too far of the main road but when you get there it seems very remote, with just fields on the other side of a very quiet country road and fields behind the pub too.
£85 for pretty much 3 courses each, 1 bottle of wine and 1 beer is very reasonable.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this place. We will be back!!1

maidenhead england
“Not worth the journey.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

I picked this restaurant from Tripdviser reviews,. The staff were nice but the food was not very good, apart from the vegetables. My husband's scallops were overdone (most restaurants are guilty of this though) my crab fishcakes were boring and lukewarm, but the main disappointment was the veal escalope. Very tough and the breadcrumb coating was far too thick. I didn't eat more than a couple of bites and complained to the very nice waitress who offered have some more cooked then said "no-one else has complained" . They did , however, deduct the price of the dish. My husband tried a bite and concurred with me (made a nice change!) On leaving I checked with the next table who said one of the two who had the veal found his very tough indeed. I suppose coming from Maidenhead spoils us.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank anne havard
Swindon
“Fantastic food in a lovely atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

6 of us celebrated a birthday at The Highwayman last night following a recommendation and we were not disappointed! The dining area itself is charming with low, beamed ceilings with tables spaced out in various nooks. A warm welcome from the chef and staff and we were seated and drinks orders quickly taken. The choice of starters and mains was excellent and I went for the home made corned beef which was excellent, as were the cod and crab fishcakes enjoyed by other members of our party. For the main I went of the 10oz Ribeye, again this was excellent and cooked very well. The confit of duck was the choice for a few of us which was excellent and the venison cottage pie was also very well received! Portion sizes are very good and all the food was presented beautifully. With barely room for pudding we still were tempted and went for the pannacotta and bread & butter pudding with ginger cream - all fantastic! Overall, this was an excellent meal and we could not fault the service, food or atmosphere! Will definitely do again - recommended!