“Great to see it busy”
Review of The Highwayman

The Highwayman
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Checkendon
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Highwayman Inn is located in a beautiful hamlet near Checkendon, on the Berkshire, Oxfordshire border, only an hour from London and 20 minutes from Reading and Henley on Thames. The pub dates back to the 16th century and still retains some of its original characteristics.Our aim is to create a warm and welcoming atmosphere in comfortable surroundings in which to enjoy our award winning food. We are committed to using local suppliers and produce with above all an eye for quality.If things go wrong or are not to your taste then please talk to us. We are genuine people that work really hard and care about what we do. We are always happy to listen to comments that will help us to improve our business and product. We want you to have an experience that is what you wanted and expected. It is disappointing enough to know that we have not given the best of ourselves but to read it later on the internet when it could have been dealt with at the time is frustrating and upsetting.Whether in my establishment or any other talk to the staff treat them with respect and they will work that much harder for you.
Reading, United Kingdom
“Great to see it busy”
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We visited on Saturday after hearing good things about it from friends. This our first time back for many a year and it was great to see it busy. Good choice of real ales and the one I had was excellent. Efficient service was evident from the start which was promising. I had a nice starter of corned beef which had a perfect balance of acidity and sweetness though there was not enough on the plate. Both our main courses were good and chocolate pudding was excellent. The cheese and biscuits I had was underwhelming and suffered from what is a flaw in the whole menu. There is no information on sourcing and variety. I would like know what cheese I am eating and that goes for much of the rest of the menu. For example, fish and chips is described as just that. I know the curse of modern menus is over the top descriptions but this is too sparse. On the whole a pleasant experience and we will definately be back.

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Excellent Excellent Excellent!”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Love The Highwayman in Exlade Street nr Checkendon. It is currently run very professionally by a husband and wife team. The staff are very helpful and the food is superb....clean, spacious and very welcoming! Definitely one to try.

Visited January 2014
“Great pub lunch - rural Oxfordshire @ it's best”
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Lovely garden , light airy restuarant area , multi level deck and ham egg & chips to match. Great venue for a pub lunch after a bike ride or a walk. Friendly staff.

salisbury
“Over priced and not worth a visit”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

As a treat my sister and brother in law always take me out wen I visit them , last night 17 may we came here .I ordered the pork with vegetables and potatoes well for the price of over 16 pound and they for got my potatoes was very disappointing, no one did a check on us to ask if our meals were ok , so we wont be returning to establishment.

3 Thank nothappyface
oxford
“Top Notch Yet Again”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

The four of us for once all had different things and every single course was fantastic. The trio of mushrooms was excellent, tho the mushroom 'shot' wasn't really my cuppa tea but tasty all the same. The beef hash with ox cheek and veg was amazing, followed by an amazingly light orange cheesecake. My better half had the turbot and it was perfectly cooked and seasoned. Top food yet again and worth every penny! Relish!

Visited April 2014