“Hostility and bugs.”

Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Checkendon
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Highwayman Inn is located in a beautiful hamlet near Checkendon, on the Berkshire, Oxfordshire border, only an hour from London and 20 minutes from Reading and Henley on Thames. The pub dates back to the 16th century and still retains some of its original characteristics.Our aim is to create a warm and welcoming atmosphere in comfortable surroundings in which to enjoy our award winning food. We are committed to using local suppliers and produce with above all an eye for quality.If things go wrong or are not to your taste then please talk to us. We are genuine people that work really hard and care about what we do. We are always happy to listen to comments that will help us to improve our business and product. We want you to have an experience that is what you wanted and expected. It is disappointing enough to know that we have not given the best of ourselves but to read it later on the internet when it could have been dealt with at the time is frustrating and upsetting.Whether in my establishment or any other talk to the staff treat them with respect and they will work that much harder for you.
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Upon entering the restaurant one of the waiters walked right past us and ignored us. When eventually seated he proceeded to talk to his manager while they both stared over at us.. We then made a drinks order. It took so long for the drinks to arrive that we actually received our starters before our drinks because apparently the waiter 'forgot'. The starter was very nice, as was the main until i discovered a caterpillar in my food..i politely called the waiter over and informed him of the problem to which he offered to prepare me another one, i said that i didn't want to eat a whole extra meal. But he ignored that and got a new one anyway.. Then the manager comes overs in casual clothes and explains to me that he found another caterpillar in the veg in the kitchen... Great. He then said 'Well, what do you want me to do?' and tried to justify the issue. I asked if i could not pay for the insect meal.. to which he agreed. He was not remotely professional, apologetic or polite. I will most definately NOT be returning and id advise you not to.

5  Thank Wallingford2013
Paul B, Manager at The Highwayman, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Firstly and above all else we would like to apologise that you had a less than satisfactory experience at The Highwayman. 70 very positive reviews would indicate that we usually get it right and do very well as a small independent free house.

The chef that was responsible for your meal is no longer employed by The Highwayman and the waiter in question was held to account.

That not withstanding as we buy local free range, organic or ethically reared produce and given the time of year these bugs appear and that one somehow survived picking, transport, washing, chopping and cooking. It is our practice to wash vegetables very thoroughly before we prepare the veg and we have now introduced an extra wash for vegetables like broccoli that are at risk during this season after they have been prepared.

I do not believe for a minute that my staff were hostile but given your experience I can understand your reaction.

There are newer reviews for The Highwayman

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Recently had a meal at the Highwayman and was very impressed with the food, the portion size was perfect and food was delicious. would definitely recommend

Reviewed 14 June 2014

My husband is on a very restricted diet which can be difficult but all was easy here. The owner discussed what was possible and a plate of poached chicken, asparagus and spinach was decided upon. It looked and tasted marvellous. Thanks very much, helpful friendly staff. Tables had plenty of room around them. Buzzy atmosphere.

1  Thank rogers26
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We visited on Saturday after hearing good things about it from friends. This our first time back for many a year and it was great to see it busy. Good choice of real ales and the one I had was excellent. Efficient service was evident from the start which was promising. I had a nice starter of corned beef which had a perfect balance of acidity and sweetness though there was not enough on the plate. Both our main courses were good and chocolate pudding was excellent. The cheese and biscuits I had was underwhelming and suffered from what is a flaw in the whole menu. There is no information on sourcing and variety. I would like know what cheese I am eating and that goes for much of the rest of the menu. For example, fish and chips is described as just that. I know the curse of modern menus is over the top descriptions but this is too sparse. On the whole a pleasant experience and we will definately be back.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Love The Highwayman in Exlade Street nr Checkendon. It is currently run very professionally by a husband and wife team. The staff are very helpful and the food is superb....clean, spacious and very welcoming! Definitely one to try.