“Awful! DO NOT STAY HERE”

Country Inn & Suites Stockton
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stockton
Reviewed 21 June 2013

My family was here today with a large group of guests that were staying at the hotel for a long weekend. Our kids were all enjoying the pool while the adults were watching and a few we're swimming. We were the ONLY people using the pool. We were in no way disruptive and the kids were not at all out of control. After a little while of enjoying the pool, the owner Helen came bursting into the pool area ranting that we all needed to leave right now! The hotel guests chimed in an said they were guests and had invited us. She was very rude and informed them that she didn't care if they were guests, we were not aloud to be swimming with them. The guests were very upset and said next time they would stay else where. The owner said she didn't care if they never came back, she had enough other guests and surely didn't need their business. She was very rude, caused a scene in front of several small children and surely wasn't appreciative of their business. I will NEVER suggest to any of my out of town guests to ever stay here again! I was entirely embarrassed that Helen would treat guests this way!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jessica S

Reviewed 26 April 2013

I stayed here for a work trip. There were three of us traveling, but the company would only cover two rooms. We checked in on a Monday and checked out Thursday morning. The first night we were there I saw, judging by the empty parking lot, that the property was at an extremely low vacancy level, so I called the front desk hoping to secure a 3rd room for our party at a discounted price.

I told the person at the front desk that since the money would be coming out of my own pocket I would be willing to pay $35 a night for the three nights. She scoffed and said the GM would never approve that, but that it was a moot point because the GM wasn't there anyway, and that she was only there a few hours in the morning every day so I should call back.

I called back the next day at noon and the GM was already gone for the day(nice work if you can get it!). I explained the situation to the hotel employee, and she too scoffed at the notion. I tried to get her to understand that a "discounted" rate of $35 was better than a room sitting empty, that we were still paying an average of over $60 per night for the 3 rooms(in a town of 1,800 in the middle of nowhere, and with the property 85% empty), and that there are businesses and websites that exist just to fill empty rooms at a discount. I relayed a story to her about one time when I was at a softball tournament. As the weekend was winding down the guy selling beer was still charging $2 a glass. I tried to tell him he would sell more and get rid of it if he lowered the price to a buck. I asked him if it would be better to sell 200 beers at $1 a glass or 50 at $2, if it would be better to get rid of the beer at a discounted price or dump it on the ground with nothing to show for it.

I tried to use the same logic on the hotel employee: was it better to have an occupied room at a discounted price or an empty room with nothing in the cash register. All of this was lost on the employee, who couldn't see past the $35 rate, as if that wasn't a significant amount for this tiny town. At no point did anyone offer to take my info and have the GM contact me. So, needless to say, I drew a short straw and ended up having to share my room with a co-worker.

Anyway, enough about me trying to instill logic into an illogical situation. About the property: I was surprised to see this type of lodging in such a tiny town. The place was nice, but could have been better. The rooms were ok, but apparently this is the last property in America to not have updated its TVs to HD flat screens. They still have the huge 27" models from the 90's. The beds were ok, a little hard, but the sheets and pillow cases were of an obnoxious material that was loud and uncomfortable, and the pillows were the worst I have ever encountered.

The pool area was decent, but they didn't allow any food or drink in the room. I can see not allowing glass, but NOTHING? No way. I always sip a cocktail or beer while I'm relaxing in the hot tub.

The highlight of the stay was breakfast. They had a good spread including waffles, biscuits and gravy and muffins as well as the usual array of cereal, yogurt, fruit, toast, pastry, etc., but they also had a revolving main dish that was very good and different every day. French toast and sausage one day, breakfast burritos one day and do-it-yourself egg mcmuffins another. Easily the highlight of my stay.

Bottom line: In the unlikely event I am ever back in this town I would stay here again because it's the only place in town, but really, outside of coming to this town for work there is no reason to come here. There are many better options in Galena and Freeport.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 March 2013

On business, headed to Rockford to find a hotel. Stopped to get gas and saw the sign for Country Inn. Walked in, smelled the fresh cookies and spent the night. Clean rooms, good bed everything you are looking for. I recommend this place and I will stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 January 2013

This place is great! Friendly staff, clean rooms, easy access from hwy 20 and tasty breakfast. We will definately stay here again. The variety of food at breakfast was amazing....we could choose from french toast, sausge links, biscuits and gravy, waffles with strawberries available for the topping, cereal, bagels, yogurt, hard boiled eggs and juices. We were definately pleased with our stay!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2013

On our way to Galena. Ahead of schedule. Came across this town and hotel. Our Galena hotel was booked for the night. We checked with this hotel. They only had a smoking room available. The hotel staff made it perfectly clear to us that it was a smoking room. We had no choice. Hotel staff suggested we go dine downtown to a local italian dinner while they put an air purifier in the room. This was the BEST night of our whole trip!! The restaurant was phenomenal. The food was cooked to order italian cuisine. A gentleman who sounded exactly like James Taylor sang quietly in the corner during the meal. The ambience and meal took you to a place that put us in shock when our bill ended up only being ~ under $20.00 for two people. Upon return to our Country Inn Suites Hotel. The room did smell a bit of smoke it was the cleanest room we had stayed in for years. Even compared to the high end hotel chains. The room was spotless! It was even better than the nonsmoking room we had the night after in Galena or any rooms after our trip. The breakfast area was clean and enough to fill you up until a late lunch later that day. The previous evening everyone in the lobby were fighting over the warm cookies in the lobby. This little unknown town of Stockton, Illinois should be given more attention for its great community for supporting this hotel, restaurant and dining. We will definitely make it a point to return here again on our trip heading back to Galena in the future!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2012

We spent the night at the Country Inn, but we didn't actually stay in a room. We got stranded on the road in a blizzard and spent the night at the inn with tons of other people the local fire department rescued from the road. The women working that night were *amazing*. They made sure everyone had a place to sleep, a blanket, and a pillow. I do not know where they kept finding more blankets, but they did! Everyone was welcome to breakfast and to stay as long as they needed until they could be reunited with their cars. They were SO friendly in an amazingly stressful situation. They were great representatives for the company and SUCH a relief to my boyfriend and I after our tough trip. I cannot recommend them enough.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Heather D
Reviewed 22 December 2012

We were stranded in a blizzard and were able to make it to the hotel (along with everyone else). They had no rooms available, but were letting people stay in their lobby and breakfast room. They even allowed people to pull their pool lounge chairs in the breakfast room to sleep on. They opened their breakfast food and juice so people could help themselves to whatever they wanted. They never asked for a dime more. We were finally able to get a room due to a cancellation. They didn't price gouge for the rooms. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Colleen, the night shift mgr let people use their dryers for their wet clothes and even let people, who didn't have rooms, shower. The ladies at the front desk in the morning (I think Nancy and Wendy) patiently answered the phones that were ringing off the hook and questions from people who kept walking up to the desk. Mainly about road conditions, which they did their best to find out the answers. They were also great about being a point of contact for the fire department and sheriff's office who were trying to get people back to their stranded vehicles. The most important thing they NEVER lost their positive attitudes through the whole ordeal. We will be forever grateful.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galena IL
Stoney Creek Inn
Stoney Creek Inn
#1 of 11 in Galena
Best Western Designer Inn & Suites
Baymont Inn & Suites Freeport
Ramada Galena Hotel and Day Spa
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Freeport

Been to Country Inn & Suites Stockton? Share your experiences!