TARA Guest House
The Urban Newtown(Newtown)(Great Value!)
US$102
US$92
Cambridge Lodge Guest House(Stanmore)(Great Value!)
US$67
US$156
Sutherland Motel(Sutherland Shire)
US$109
  • Pool
All reviewswonderful hostsother guestsbreakfast tableflight pathenmore theatreairport pickuplovely homenewtown stationevery morninghome away from homesydney airportbuses and trainsyogurtinner citynew zealandensuite bathroomcircular quay
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I stayed at Tara for an overnight business trip and I am so glad I did. Please, if you are in town for business, choose Tara. Not only are the rooms beautifully appointed and the graceful home a glorious find, but you will enjoy an educated conversation in the company of the delightful Julian and Brom. And the breakfast was so delicious ... I didn't eat again until dinner! I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Bellsie17
Reviewed 1 July 2013

My son chose Tara for my stay in Sydney and his choice was inspired.The house is grand, spacious and if you like architecture, charming. Rooms are large, comfortable and stylish with beautiful quality bed linen. Breakfasts are huge and full of unexpected delicacies and do away with need for lunch. However it is the friendliness and kindness of the hosts that move Tara from the ordinary to the special. It is on a busy road and the city never sleeps so if soundless sterile chain hotels are to your liking then Tara may not suit,. If however you want a taste of Sydney and the hospitality of Australia in addition to easy access to harbour and tourist points, restaurants and shopping then you couldn't do better. I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: my favourite is upstairs at the back,smaller than others but light,quiet and stylish.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Carol T
Reviewed 28 June 2013

If you love a B&B with an over-the-top breakfast this is your place. The morning eats were stunning and super yummy. The location was good with many yummy eateries just down the street, The rooms were comfortable and the hosts' dog was just great to pet and play with. Our host was wonderful about driving use to the White Rabbit Gallery (a great suggestion on their part, and a do-not-miss place to visit) and the next day to the Opera House for our tour. This was super kind. They even do airport pick-up and drop-off - how cool is that! Still, A bit over priced from my POV but many things are in Sydney.
Watch out for the parking. When we arrived we were told that the parking place we were parked in was just fine but when we left we had a ticket (very expensive I might add). I guess it was fine for the weekend but not for the weekday. Yikes.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jane W
Reviewed 4 June 2013

I had a very stress free stay here. I fell in love with the attension to detail in every room but i wasnt expecting that the owners would leave a heartfelt Impresion. The home cooked breakfast was amazing. It felt like i was staying with old time friends.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank sophiekav
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Probably best reviewed as a series of bullet points. In no particular order...

- 15-35 minutes from Circular Quay at Sydney Harbor, depending on traffic.

- Beautiful house & garden.

- Dog Oscar is a lot of fun. He'll play with you for as long as you want to. Friendly & sweet & adorable. In fact, now we're thinking of getting an Oscar-type puppy!

- We got the nice big main-level room, so didn't have to share a bathroom. It IS across the hall though, not attached to your room.

- I read some comments below about the noise -- that's literally the first I heard of it, we didn't notice at all! (planes or cars) And we're not city folk either.

- Not cheap, we paid US$270/night. On the other hand, that's probably not too out of line for Sydney. Though technically I guess we were in Enmore, a suburb.

- Close to lots of excellent restaurants. And by lots, I mean LOTS, within walking distance. Great variety too.

- It was a bit hot when we stayed, but with some fan assistance, and opening of windows at night, we managed OK.

- There was a snafu the first day, but Julian & Brom apologized and covered our expense, and in fact Julian provided us an early-morning bonus ride to the harbor the next day, so that more than covered it.

- Nice laundromat (Washing Done) nearby.

- They let us use their Internet a few times, much appreciated, that was very helpful in planning a few things and catching up with family back home. Brom even made a few calls herself to make sure our excursion was properly coordinated.

- The breakfast was fantastic! Lots to choose from, all of it ranging from good to delicious.

- One piece of art in particular was very interesting. I think my 11-year-old son learned a few things! :-)

Overall, we're very glad we stayed at this place.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family