“Inner Urban Delight”
Review of TARA Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Enmore
TARA Guest House
Ranked #1 of 2 Enmore B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Staying at Tara Guesthouse was a joy: a gracious 1880s house with large, light, airy rooms and a casually styled urban design aesthetic complemented throughout by the owners' extensive art collection. A beautiful, comfortable and relaxing environment just metres from buzzing Enmore Road leading to King Street Newtown, both end-to-end with bars, eateries, bookshops, nightlife, markets, as well as excellent transport links (buses & trains) to the CBD & the harbour. Truly distinctive however is the warmth and generosity of spirit of Tara's owners, Julian and Brom, and their genuine interest in all their guests. This is particularly expressed in their legendary 'breakfeasts', from honey-drizzled ricotta on fresh brioche starters to an astounding array of cooked savoury delights in a very convivial atmosphere at a long table with the hosts and other guests. You won't need lunch and, if staying more than 1 night, transfers are complimentary. For us this meant a wonderful conversation that began at the airport and continued until we were returned there for departure. We'll certainly be back.

Room Tip: All uniquely beautiful, 2 share a smart marble bathroom, the other 2 are ensuite.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JosAng2014

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I loved this place so much that I have to write a book!
Words can't adequately describe my experience at the Tara Guest House from Saturday, July 26, 2014 to Wednesday, July 30, 2014. The four nights I spent at Tara were the best nights sleep I had in my 6-weeks of world travel.

"Excellent" is not a strong enough term. In April I decided I was going to travel to Australia...alone. When I read the reviews of Tara Guest House, I immediately sensed that the owners take great pride in their property and do everything possible to make guests feel welcomed. Therefore, I initiated contact via email and mentioned the dates in July I would be in Australia. Within 24 hours I received a reply from the owners, Julian and Brom. The email they sent me was clearly written by a human being, not a scripted response most hotels use. It was very detailed and listed specific information about exiting the airport and where to meet them for transport. SOLD! Hence, I submitted payment required for the deposit and began to daydream about the beautiful house I'd be staying in a few months.

When I arrived at the Sydney airport after a long flight from China, I was met by Brom at the passenger pick-up area. She was very pleasant and even took a few minutes to drive around the area and point out things of interest. She even offered to get me something to eat considering it was after 9pm and she knew I had been traveling all day.

Upon arriving at the Tara Guest House, I felt as if I had stepped into my own mansion. I had the "Upstairs Outback Room" which is the one pictured with the telescope on the website. The bed was extremely comfortable and the furnishings were delightful. The bathroom was also spacious and beautiful. Instead of waking up to my alarm clock, I woke up to the most wonderful smell of food cooking...Breakfast was beyond my expectations!!! A variety of fruits were at the table along with crepes, granola/museli, and juices. Breakfast is served in the main dining room with other guests. One of the guests could not eat gluten. Brom and Julian clearly cared about the gentleman's dietary restrictions. Consequently, gluten-free bread was available each morning. This is not something that you would find at a large-scale hotel. I am vegetarian. Therefore, Julian and Brom put in extra time & effort to make roasted tomatoes & mushrooms for me since the other guests had more to eat. Julian takes pride in serving fancy coffee. "Would you like a latte?"

After breakfast Brom took a few minutes to print maps of the local area and explain the types & costs of transportation passes and where a "my multi transit pass" could be purchased at a local news agency. I really appreciate how she took the time to explain the transit entry points. Newtown station is nearby.

Tara Guest House is located in a trendy area that borders Enmore and Newtown. There are lots of eateries, clothing stores, and various kinds of shops along the main street. Marrickville Shopping Centre is also located within short walking distance.

The Tara Guest House is elegant, cozy, and has a mixture of simple traditional art as well as edgy art. I loved seeing the contrast of the pieces around the house! My accommodations were so comfortable that on some days I took my time getting ready and relaxed in my room by watching television or reading. Also, I enjoyed spending time each day with Oscar, their friendly dog.

Personally, I enjoyed the unique approach Brom and Julian take in getting to know the guests. Furthermore, I enjoy having breakfast with the other guests and getting to talk with people from around the world. Granted, this may not be for everyone. Also, the "Upstairs Outback" room shares a bathroom with another room. Fortunately, this was not an issue. If you are concerned about sharing a bathroom, there are other rooms available with a private bath.

The price of $185/night (less $20 single occupancy discount = $165/night) may seem expensive to some, it is Sydney after all. The price is reasonable in my opinion because it included transportation to and from the airport, breakfast each morning, and a charming experience staying in a lovely house. The breakfast would probably cost $29.99/person in a fancy hotel. Airport transportation is also expensive if arranged through a hotel. The uniqueness of Tara Guest House justifies the nightly rate. Frankly, I'm surprised Brom and Julian don't charge more.

I am happy to say that I intend to visit Sydney again and will be a "BOOMERANG" to the Tara Guest House. On a scale from 1-10 I give Tara an 11+. Big Smile!

Room Tip: Tara Guesthouse is located in the vibrant cultural district close to Enmore & Newton. It is als...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank JeniferTravels
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The couple who host this hotel are just lovely. The house itself is beautiful and so clearly loved. I felt I had enough space for myself. The location is absolutely sensational - close to Newtown and just 15 minutes into the centre of town.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank archielovesveronica
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We (my husband and I and three teenaged daughters) stayed at Tara for 4 nights in June, and loved it. Julian and Brom made us feel comfortable immediately. Julian picked us from the airport, and was an entertaining and enlightening host from that moment on. Brom gave a tour of the house, sharing the history of their art collection, and generally making us feel welcomed. Breakfast is everything all the reviews say it is--Brom is amazing. We so enjoyed our first breakfast there--with conversation that was fascinating and fun--that we almost missed out on our scheduled Harbor Bridge climb. But Julian and Brom came to the rescue, insisting on taking us (requiring both of them and their cars) over to the bridge. Above and beyond, real friends. None of us wanted to leave. My girls talk of Julian and Brom as if they are favorite relatives.
Also--there are many, many interesting restaurants within easy walking distance. We had excellent Greek, Turkish and Italian dinners (on different nights, of course!)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank LCub42
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We just stayed at Tara and loved it. Getting airport service was such a treat, and the breakfast is the best I've ever had. It was so easy to catch the bus to the Uni of Sydney. Lots of wonderful restaurants. We will be back.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Heatherster
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Dear Traveler,

This recommendation for Tara Guest House represents much more than high marks on the comfortable accommodations and sumptuous breakfasts. This review sends kudos and thanks to Brom and Julian for the most gracious hospitality and exceptional EXPERIENCE they provided our family. If your travel interests include meeting worldly people who are connoisseurs of art, architecture, literature, cuisines, global cultures, and many more interests, these are the hosts to enjoy. Their grande dame home has great bones, appealing design, and an easy access to the train station and neighboring restaurants, services, and retail -- all appealing characteristics which are more important to us than a fresh coat of paint. Extras included an exceptional massage by Lucy, helpful referral to a doctor, efficient airport transport, and especially a generosity of spirit that adds to a memorable five days in Sydney, and recipes to inspire future breakfasts at home.

Cheers, mate,
Jon and Linda T.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jon t
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I recently stayed at the Tara Guest House for the third time and was very happy to find that I had an even better experience than my other visits, which I would not have thought possible. The location - close to the centre of Enmore and King Street Newtown; a short walk to Newtown Station; proximity to Sydney University; and close enough to the airport so that onward travel is easy - in addition to the superb breakfast means staying here is an easy choice. Brom and Julian are fabulous hosts and seem to truly enjoy the company of their guests, and breakfast, with everyone around the table, is a wonderful way to start the day. The upstairs front bedroom is large and airy, and on a cold night recently was cozy - the top floor has a gas heater which keeps everything toasty without being hot and stuffy - and the bed is very comfortable. Hope to be back soon!

Room Tip: Upstairs front room is large and airy, overlooks a main street; upstairs back room overlooks the bac...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank liko6014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enmore
Newtown
Ovolo Woolloomooloo
#1 of 180 in Sydney
Central Business District
Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney

Been to TARA Guest House? Share your experiences!