“Very Nice Stay”

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Tinley Park
Michigan
“Very Nice Stay”
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Although my stay here was short (one night), I was very impressed with the overall appearance of this property. Hotel staff were helpful and courteous. Room was spacious, clean and comfortable. Room service from the on-site restaurant was adequate but nothing special. I would very likely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Central Illinois
Reviewed 22 April 2012

The good first. Check in and desk staff all around, very polite, down to earth and professional! Parking, plenty! Access from and back to the highway, one of the best around, even my travel companion commented that it was one of the easiest we have ever traveled to.
Pool/spa/gym great! very nice size for a hotel, sauna is a nice touch and gym is quite large. All of it was immaculate.
Room was very clean and beds quite comfy, bathroom was nice. Kind of odd not having over head lights in the room but the lamps gave it enough lighting. Coffee pot, fridge and microwave all very clean and great working condition! Nice flat screen tv with plenty of channels.
Now to the food issue. We were traveling for an athletic event with weigh ins in the morning etc so decent meals were definitely desired and being disappointed with "Bananas" the in house restaurant does not even begin to explain it. We had a long day traveling to get there in the evening and did not feel like going back out to a local eatery for supper.
Service was below average for supper had to wait at least 20 minutes to even order drinks or food and there were no more than 5 tables of customers and it appeared to be no more than 3 people working on a Friday night. Food was high priced for the quality. The restaurant is trying to be high end fair instead of what it is, a Holiday Inn. My son ordered the spaghetti which he ate about half of if that thanks to the broccoli, large red peppers and huge pieces of bologna in it. He just wanted some spaghetti not some fancy interpretation of what it's supposed to be. I had the fish and chips. 2 pieces of fish with a lot more breading than fish a small hand full of fries. Had to ask for water more than once and had to go ask the host to find our waiter in the back after being done for 20 minutes to get our check, he was ready to swim.
Breakfast was not much better. A good 20 minute wait, we were preparing to get up and go find that Cracker Barrel just as our waitress, who appeared to be the only one working, finally appeared. The breakfast food was better than supper, but the service and wait time ruined that.
Staying all over the Midwest several times every year we have come to expect the normal buffet type meals on the weekends and this hotel does not offer it at all. They want you to eat in the restaurant.
We will be returning to Tinley Park in the fall and there is a decent chance we will stay in this hotel again, but we will prepare for our meals much differently, may even just bring our own stuff to microwave in the room as opposed to ever going "Bananas" again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank TJ4traveling
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Tinley Park-Convention Center, responded to this review, 1 June 2012
Dear TJ4traveling,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good and the opportunities to improve. We hope you enjoyed your visit and are glad to hear you were happy with the hotel accommodations and amenities. Whilst I am pleased with the really good comments, I truly value your feedback as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. We are deeply sorry for the poor service you received in our restaurant. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Thank you again for your review. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Chicago
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I do not get any pleasure from complaining and do not write a negative review unless I am REALLY off-put by an establishment. Well, at last, Bananas in the Holiday Inn Convention Center motivated me to finally fire up the computer and vent.

I live in the area and have secured reservations for guests at the hotel. I have attended or organized meetings at Bananas many times since the hotel opened. There have been significant changes here in the last 2 years and not to the good in my opinion.

Bananas is listed as a "Bar and Grill." QUOTE: "Full-service restaurant & catering staff are ready with a wide array of menu selections to delight your taste buds." No, not even close. It should more accurately be described as a poorly designed bar with access to some food.

I do not expect "fine dining" or an "exciting culinary experience" at the Holiday Inn. The Chicago area is generally one of the best in the Midwest for dining. A restaurant here is expected to be something special or even a dining-as-theater experience. Bananas is, I believe, a high ceiling sports bar wanna-be without all the sophistication that description would imply.

In the last two years the Convention Center has doubled in size. The facility management as well as the executive chef have, sadly, changed. The Convention Center is striking and will win awards for the architecture. The catering capacity of this facility is huge, service for 2000. The restaurant should be good by accident. It is not.

On my last visit (April 2012) our party received the worst service and mediocre food I have encountered for years. The menu is small as one can reasonably expect in a HI restaurant. The choices as average and no stretch for a journeyman chef. The preparation was uninspired and delivered, after 55 minutes, lukewarm. The service was below what one could reasonably expect at the Cracker Barrel, just across the highway, and the food would be better there as well.

I wish I could find something nice to say about this place. I can not. There are good restaurants within a few minutes drive of the H.I. Convention Center Tinley Park, two are a long walk north. I suggest you explore a bit and I expect you will be better fed and better served.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
lmullan, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Tinley Park-Convention Center, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit your candid review. I do respond to all reviews, both positive and not-so-positive. If everything was exceptional, we could never find room for improvement, so I appreciate the feedback.

I presented your review to the Food and Beverage Director, and he is taking it seriously. I have been assured that steps are already under way to make Bananas a better dining experience-- a forthcoming new menu, retraining of staff, and a back-to-basics focus on guest satisfaction.

Give us a bit--then give us another try. Hopefully we can "wow" you in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Tinley Park hotels

Michigan
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Most people know what to expect with a Holiday Inn and that's usually why they choose them. Reasonable rates and moderate accomodations. I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Tinley Park Convention Center and really had a great, and too short weekend. I am a travel agent so I get to see multiple hotels/resorts all year long. This is one of the better Holiday Inns. Laurie, the guest services manager was very prompt and friendly while we communicated via email and even held a reservation for me until I could get back to her with my true plans. Jessica, front desk, is a super great impression at check in; very professional, friendly and accomodating. All staff at the front desk were! The lounge staff always concerned about my happiness. I never thought to look into what kind of convention might be taking place during my stay but what a fun and totally unique experience to find a Reptile Convention in-house. We had a blast and my friend even ended up with two little Geckos.

You can expect the pool area to be crowded after dinner with a convention of any great size in attendance. We enjoyed the sauna and I noticed a nice patio area off the pool which will be great during the summer months.

I have a soft side for "off the beaten path" individuals but perhaps someone a little less tolerant might not have cared for the party crowd outside after the show. It was also St Patty's weekend and unusually warm so the whole area seemed to be in party mode. Better for me! Laughed a lot.

My room was very clean and bed super comfortable with a pillow selection and good coffee. Thanks so much for the fun, friendly and comfortable weekend! Hhhhmmm. Lots of good music shows coming up at the Amphitheater nearby....

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
lmullan, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Tinley Park-Convention Center, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Thanks so much, Lynn! I've posted your great review for all staff to see and communicated it with other managers. We all appreciate the great feedback!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2012

This hotel will not wow you with expensive artwork or beautiful architecture, but it is a good basic hotel with everything you need to spend a good night or two's sleep. The rooms are average to large in size. The staff is friendly and efficient as is the restaurant staff. If you are a priority club member (and there's no reason not to be), you'll get a perq or two. Breakfast is hearty and the menu is large if you choose not to have the buffet. If you're lucky, Rosie will have a good joke for you as she shows you to your table.

This Holiday Inn is a little less than an hour south of O'Hare, and is attached to the Tinley Park Convention Centre. However, it is a little way out of Chicago, so you want to have your own transportation - it is not an urban setting. Internet access can be complimentary (join the Priority Club on the spot if you haven't already). There is a small business centre - I usually use it just to print my boarding pass. I've been told there is a fitness centre, not that you would find me in one voluntarily.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
lmullan, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Tinley Park-Convention Center, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Thanks for the review! We always love hearing from our guests--and you're such an advocate for Priority Club! If you ever become a spokesperson for working out, we also offer a complimentary membership to LA Fitness during your stay. I will pass on to Rosie that her unique brand of hospitality won over yet another guest!
Arad
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Generally good impresion.
I liked the big room, very confortable bed, all that you need for more than 2 weekd stay. I liked the pool, exepting in the weekends when is very crowded with kids. Also you can hear the noise thru the door-i suppose that the door was not sealed well.
I did't like the breakfast they serve. You pay suplimentary for the breakfast, so it's have no sense to eat there.

Room Tip: too much sun light in the morning, as i can not close the windows courtains. Maybe i was dumb..:).
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Bogdan V
lmullan, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Tinley Park-Convention Center, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Thank you for your review. A couple of things I'd like to address: we do have rates that include breakfast for a small upcharge, but as a full-service property, you are correct, breakfast is not included with our standard rate. I have forwarded your quality concerns to our restaurant manager. Also, located behind the sheers in every room are blackout drapes which can be drawn to keep out the morning sun. Finally, during the winter months there are many families who choose to do a "staycation" and use the pool on the weekends--this is not always the case, but all registered guests are welcome to use the pool. We appreciate you staying with us, and look forward to serving you on another stay in Tinley Park!
New York
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Let’s just say Tinley Park is not a go-to community. The hotel choices do, in fact, reflect said dearth of excitement. But… if you’re going to this center of dull, you might as well stay here. It embodies the spirit of the dull and lifeless strip mall landscape that surrounds it.

The good: The Holiday Inn is very clean. The Holiday Inn has a restaurant and bar (no point in mentioning the quality). The Holiday Inn has a lovely lobby. The Holiday Inn has plenty of free parking. The Holiday Inn is next to a convention center. Whee. The Holiday Inn has nice people working the desk. The Holiday Inn has a nice view of the highway(s).

Would I return? If I was stuck in another Tinley Park snow storm, absolutely and comfortably. I would just look forward to my departure.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business