“Rest at the end of a long day”
Review of Red Roof Inn Troy

Red Roof Inn Troy
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Troy
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We were tired and so glad to see the red roof as we drove down the highway. As has been our experience in other Red Roof Inns, this one was clean and comfortable. We moved in with our small dogs and slept well. The beds were a little hard, but that is truly a matter of taste. The staff were helpful finding extra pillows late at night. Late check-out was a final perk that helped us get on with our travel

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
GMDanGross, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Troy, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Shirley,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. I appreciate your kind comments regarding your recent stay at the Troy, IL Red Roof.

There are newer reviews for Red Roof Inn Troy

Reviewed 31 October 2013

As I write this review I'm in another Red Roof Inn. (Statesville, NC) it is nice also. Completely remodeled. I stay here frequently. I've stayed across the street at the Congress Inn now Motel 6. I like your location because it's close to Freightliner. The only problem I had at your location was the door handle came off in my hand as I left the room. (I can live with that) NBD I'll stay again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Richard,

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I am dumbfounded by the negative reviews for this location. We live in Springfield, MO, and my family lives in Ohio. So the Troy Red Roof is a great stop for us when we leave late on Friday - four hours gets us past the traffic of St Louis proper, so it's a good place to start for our next day's journey. So we've stayed here half a dozen times over the last two years.

Just for fairness sake, while we are NOT connected to anyone at Red Roof Inns, we *are* Redicard rewards members, and we have always stayed in the upgraded Superior King rooms. The rooms we've had have always been spotlessly clean, large, and very well maintained. The beds have been firm and comfortable. The water pressure in the showers (pet peeve of mine) is better than some $150-a-night rooms I've stayed in, and the pool has always been in great shape when we've used it. The rooms are big enough to hold two big guys, his mountain-bike and gear, and the WiFi was solid.

Yes, the place is close to the highway - that's why we CHOSE it - and we keep our heater/AC/fan on high to mask that noise. Yes, the breakfast is mostly cereal, bagels and simple stuff - but we don't eat it, because we have food on the road.

Whenever we have stayed, we've been greeted by a pleasant desk clerk (we usually get in late, so this is a surprise!). When we were last there, we were having our first experience with a flex-fuel vehicle, and had no idea where to find E85 gas in the area. The morning desk clerk called around and found one place nearby, and two on our route east, that had E85 for us.

We will continue to stay here - we might reconsider, if we hit a room like some others have described. But for us, it's been a great experience, time and time again.

Room Tip: We travel with bicycles and I have back troubles, so we try to stay on the first floor if possible...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
GMDanGross, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Troy, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Dear Steve1290,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. I appreciate your nice comments regarding your recent stay at the Troy, IL Red Roof.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

First of all the hotel is newly renovated, but cleanliness of our room was poor, the comforter had big spots on it, the bathroom had blood spots on the wall, when you walk down the hallway it seems like there is an echo, and there is defiantly echo in the room, and what was annoying was a barking dog left in the room by itself when we try to get some sleep.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
GMDanGross, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Troy, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Dear Angie8699 ,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Troy, IL Red Roof. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please accept my sincerest apologies.

At Red Roof, we strive to provide every customer with superior service; therefore your feedback is very important to us. I want you to know that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the issues that occurred during your stay to prevent any future occurrence.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

You walk into the hotel and are greeted by the aroma of a dirty ashtray. Even a smoker would agree it is disgusting. The carpets are stained in the hallways. The highway noise is terrible as is the drapes that are supposed to keep the light out of the room. Our room was lit up from the parking lot lights. Their continental breakfast was simple, bread, bagels, cereal, yogurt and "fresh fruit". The cream cheese for the bagels was crumbly (spoiled) in the package. The cereal might have been OK, but I wouldn't trust putting the milk on it. Yogurt was fine. The fruit was soft and mushy. I waited to write a review of this disgusting hotel to see what the manager had to say first when I did the review for them. The only thing I got was a canned e-mail response. I don't even think the "compliments" were read. I was looking for a personal reply, but got a very generic response. I had two rooms blocked there for October as well. We have a student that is going to SIUe, but quickly cancelled those. This is a disgusting place, people read and understand you DO NOT WANT TO STAY HERE! Pay a little more and stay where you might not get sick.

Room Tip: Another Hotel is better
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Tim B
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I wanted a stopover along I-70 between St. Louis and Effingham, IL. The rate at the Red Roof in Troy, IL, looked good. The hotel is about 1 mile from I-70, so access was easy. Red Roofs are budget hotels, and for a single night all I needed was a room that was quiet, clean and secure.

I arrived about 11 p.m. I was greeted at the desk by a disinterested clerk who quickly pulled up my reservation. I got my key and headed to the room. First problem: No AC. Not even heat. The wall unit didn't work at all. I returned to the desk to see if I could get another room. The clerk called housekeeping, which I thought was strange at 11 p.m. But I was given a new room.

When I went to the new room, the maid was cleaning rooms on that floor. It seems strange that this was being done so late, but that explains why the clerk called housekeeping; she needed to find an available and ready room.

For my inconvenience, I never once heard any regret or apology. It was no big deal to change rooms, but I should not have been given a key to the room in the first place. I was not impressed by this clerk.

Once in my new room, I prepared for bed. The room had a king bed, small table with two chairs, TV, microwave and refrigerator. The bathroom was a little smaller (as was the tub), but all I needed was a shower in the morning. It appears the room had been vacuumed, but never tight along the edge against the wall. There was a strip of dust all around the room.

When I awoke in the morning, I found pieces of the popcorn ceiling around the sink area. It appears the room above me had a water leak. I could see the watermark on the ceiling. That's not the hotel's fault, but I wondered how the desk would respond to this situation.

I dressed and left the room to have breakfast and checkout. Breakfast was cereal, yogurt, milk, juice, some breads and boiled eggs. The breakfast area was kept mostly clean.

When I checked out, I told the new clerk about the ceiling. She apologized and called someone right away. At least I got one apology, even though it was for something that was not the hotel's fault.

There were signs that parts of the hotel are being remodeled. Perhaps the part where I stayed had already been remodeled; it appeared to be in good condition except for the dust ring.

I didn't expect much from this Red Roof. I got what I expected. I could stay here again for a similar need, but there are lots of hotels in the Troy/Glen Carbon area. I'll likely stay somewhere else next time. (CS)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
GMDanGross, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Troy, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Troy, IL Red Roof. I am sorry that you experienced an issue with your Cooling/heating system; please accept my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate you sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future in one of our totally newly renovated rooms.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

I checked into the hotel early and the front desk representative had a personality that's not conducive for such a position. I was placed in a handicapped room that wasn't requested. When I got into my room and showered prior to a preaching engagement I spoke to the housekeeper to request more towels. She rudely asked, "Don't you have towels in your room?" I responded rest, but I require more. At which time she counted my towels and wrote down my room number. As she collected my new towels I gave her the used ones. I asked for tissue and she marked that as well. Another guest requested towels and she politely smiled, gave them towels and went back to cleaning the room she was working on. I would not address this matter had both guests had been treated the same, but this wasn't the case. Nor did this guest provide the used towels. Breakfast consisted off corn flakes, not frosted, fruit loops, sour milk and orange juice. You had bagels and bread. The breakfast area was dirty and unkept which questions the sanitary precautions that are not being used. I spoke to the manager, Dan who was completely unconcerned about my dissatisfaction with the service. I wouldn't recommend this location under any terms, and if a minority keep driving to another city/hotel. Otherwise, enter at your own risk

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you Reverend for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Troy, IL Red Roof Inn. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please accept my sincerest apologies.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Troy
Super 8 Troy IL/St. Louis Area
Holiday Inn Express Troy
Best Western Troy Hotel
#3 of 3 in Edwardsville
Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis-Edwardsville
#3 of 11 in Collinsville

Been to Red Roof Inn Troy? Share your experiences!