“Served it's purpose.”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Tuscola
Illinois
“Served it's purpose.”
Reviewed 20 October 2011

The hotel was much older than I expected. Our room smelled like wet carpet and it was wet below the heating/cooling unit. The bathroom had mildew in the grout around tub and had poor water pressure despite newer shower head.

We loved the breakfast which far exceeded our expectations.
The kids loved being able to swim. Unfortunately someone defecated in the hot tub and it was taking some time to get it cleaned out. So no hot tub for us.

It was right off the interstate which was good because we were visiting Urbana.

• Stayed October 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Tuscola, Illinois
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Accidentally left wedding ring and earrings on bedside table. Left and remembered. Called relative to get. Housekeeper only found earrings. Ring was interlocked in hoop earrings. Interesting that the rings missing. Management was not concerned at all. Couldn't help.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank drd1012

Travellers are raving about these Tuscola hotels

Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Our stay at the Baymont Inn in Tuscola was a welcome relief from the stresses of a bad economy. The room was very nice for the money and the hot tub by the pool was an excellent place to soak away stress. My wife and I spent the weekend sightseeing and shopping in Amish country and had a great time. It's also easy to eat too much in the area because every restaurant we went to was excellent.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Illinois City, Illinois
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We have had numerous stays at this hotel. Have been coming back nearly every year since it was an Amerihost Inn. Last year, the pool needed maintenance. This year, the water was clear and looked inviting. While we didn't swim, many others did and appeared to be enjoying the pool and sun deck. We had a 2 double bed room which had microwave, fridge and coffee maker. The fridge did not keep food very cold, but we were only there overnight so did not complain. I know the manager would have addressed the issue if we requested. The rooms have been updated since we visited last year. Beautiful espresso furniture and new bedding. The beds were made up similar to Hyatt's heavenly bedding. They were very comfortable. The bathroom is very, very small, but the sink and mirror are outside of the bathroom which makes it very convenient when more than 1 person is staying in the room. It was extremely hot when we were visiting. The a/c had a difficult time keeping up, but overnight our room was very comfortable and actually cold in the room by morning when I turned the a/c down.

The complimentary breakfast is very basic: muffins, various donuts, toaster waffles, yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, juice. Coffee was available 24/7. I don't know if anyone ever eats the apples. Seems like a waste of money. Fresh cut fruit would be a nicer addition, but I bring my own when we stay here so know what to expect. The hotel lobby which is also the breakfast area is very clean and inviting. It overlooks the pool area. Vida is the general manager and has been there for many years. She is warm and welcoming and represents this hotel well. This hotel has always been very clean every time we have stayed. My only observation where work is needed was the corner of our bathroom where dirt was noted between tub and floor. A little bit of bleach would take care of it. I honestly couldn't find any other areas that needed improvement in our room. I even moved the comfy chair by our window and the carpet looked freshly vacuumed underneath it. When we checked out I told the gentleman at the front desk that the only thing that would make this hotel better is if they got rid of their smoking rooms. Our room was down the hall from smoking rooms and the hallway is permeated with it! Why have smoking rooms mixed with non smoking rooms on the same floor? We were offered a first floor room where the rooms are mainly non smoking, but prefer to be on the top floor to avoid hearing people above us.

There is an outlet mall across the road and plenty of restaurants within a few minutes on the same road. There is also an IGA grocery store where the deli has delicious fried chicken and some of the nicest people working there! This little hotel is a great value and very clean, staff friendly and welcoming. We plan on staying here again the next time we visit the area.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed 16 May 2011

I chose the Baymont Inn because I had a chat with the front desk clerk and she was a very nice girl and turned me onto to the rooms. My colleagues and I unpacked and thought we were going to have a clean stay. The room was nasty. The toilet had fecal remains under the lid and the shower had hair all around the drain. It was so hot in the front lobby of the Baymont I couldn't wait to get to my room and turn on the air conditioning. When I go to turn it on, it shook and then blew out something that smelled like smoke. I let it run for a minute and the smell went away, but the air never got cold. I tried the pool, it was disgusting. Never again.

Room Tip: Hot front lobby, means hot rooms.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Greg19631985
Mattoon, Illinois
Reviewed 29 December 2010

For the past 5-6 years, my extended family has stayed here around Christmas time and rented at least 5 rooms. This year, I noticed they charged my debit card $50.00 extra dollars, also making my checking account overdraft. When I called, they informed me that two pillows were missing from the room. I assure you, I did not steal their pillows! My mother always gets a suite and the children all camp out and sleep with her. Because there were not enough pillows in the suite, the kids took the pillows from our room and took them to the suite! That's where they went!!!! The housekeeper lied and told the manager that she saw us walking out of the building with them! My brother was also charged for one pillow, which was also taken to the suite by his son. I have talked to corporate which say there is most likely nothing that can be done. A supervisor is supposed to call me back! I better had get some restitution! Also, the suite my mom stays in has a whirlpool tub in it. IT HAS NOT WORKED THE PAST TWO YEARS! Also, there was a huge cobweb in her suite that was also there last year!!! They will not longer be receiving our service. Why would I want to take pillows home anyway that thousands of other people have slept on??????

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Shann072
Illinois City, Illinois
Reviewed 5 August 2010

Our family has stayed at this hotel numerous times over the years including when it first opened as an Ameri Host. We reserved 3 rooms for 6 of us for one night in order to spend time with family in the Tuscola area. I had called a couple of days prior to let staff know we would be using the lobby for a family dinner and to request our 3 rooms be adjacent to each other. Renae was very helpful over the phone. There were 13 of us there for dinner, including 2 toddlers and 1 infant. The receptionist, Sarah, could not have been nicer. Our rooms were very clean and each had what appeared to be new refrigerators and microwaves. We had 2 King rooms and 1 with 2 doubles. The rooms have been updated since our last stay about 3 years ago. All three rooms were non smoking. After reading previous reviews I was concerned about possible smoke in the hallways. We did not encounter any difficulties. When we first arrived, there was some noticeable smoke smell on the opposite side hallway from our 3 - 2nd floor rooms. Our rooms had no odor whatsoever. The a/c worked great in all 3 rooms, but could use some upkeep as the fans were very loud and knocked every time they restarted. We had a very restful evening with no disturbances by other guests. We saw someone arrive with a medium sized dog, but heard nothing all night. The breakfast was very basic, but we knew what to expect so brought our own fresh fruit and cin. bread to toast, although one family member enjoyed the oatmeal and another had french toast and bagels. The coffee was available 24/7 and was very good. We found the staff to all be friendly. In fact, the other patrons of the hotel were all friendly and certainly very understanding when we took over the lobby in the evening. The pool does need attention. While some of our family used the pool, most of us did not. The water is cloudy and the circulation jets did not appear to be working properly. It is also VERY hot in the pool area. The next morning the pool was closed so I hope that was to do cleaning/repairs. I did notice that public areas were not as clean/tidy as they have been for past stays. The hallways could use a good vacuuming/cleaning. One of the side doors was permanently open and should have required a room key to get in. The lobby/breakfast area appeared very clean. There is a small business area with printer, computer as well as free wi-fi in the rooms. The a/c was not working well in the lobby area and 2 fans were on to circulate the air. For the $60 gov't rate that we had, I think this is a very adequate hotel and we will stay there again when visiting family. I have stayed at much worse hotels and paid a lot more. I would not stay in a dirty room. We slept very well in our rooms which appeared to have newer carpet, bedding/linens. I think with some basic upgrades to the a/c and pool this hotel would be great. It seemed they were aware of the problems and at least where the pool was concerned, were addressing those issues. The hotel is located just off the interstate and within close proximity to gas stations, restaurants and an outlet mall. There is a subway down the street - newly remodeled and very nice. The IGA was close and while the prices seemed inflated compared to what we normally pay for groceries, it was convenient. The outlet mall was a relaxing way to spend the evening, directly across the street. Dairy Queen is next door as well as Burger King if you want fast food. There is a nicer Italian restaurant just down the road, but we have not eaten there. Is the hotel perfect? No, but it is a pleasant place to stay for a night or two and the staff always make us feel welcome. We will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tuscola
Holiday Inn Express Tuscola
Suite Dreams Hotel
Suite Dreams Hotel
#7 of 9 in Mattoon
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mattoon

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Tuscola? Share your experiences!