“Nice place to relax, only beware of local vacations”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Kunuku Aqua Resort

Kunuku Aqua Resort
Heerhugowaard, The Netherlands
“Nice place to relax, only beware of local vacations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed here for two weeks in one of the appartments.
The resort is located in the middle of the Island so you need to book a car to get there. Once you get there the friendly frontdesk helps you on your way to your appartment. The appartments are all quit new and there is not much to complain about. The only thing I would like to see different is that when you are cooking the kitchen and livingroom get very hot. Since there is no central airconditioning it would be nice to have a fan or someting like that to ventilate the livingroom and kitchen area.

The bedrooms and bathrooms are basic but fine. The only thing that was disappointing, was the fact that there was no tv. They had this moviesystem so you could watch some movies, but regular tv was missing. Also the Wifi system was very instable.

The facilities are fine. The pool is lovely and the poolbar had enough variety to entertain us. Maybe because it was off season but the pool bar closed at 7:30/8pm and after that time the resort was quit dead.

The resort also sells daytickets to the local community in the weekends and in the vacations. Due to this sale the pool can be very busy. We had the bad luck that our vacation coincided with a local vacation and for a whole week we had a busy poolside. I can imagine that will withold people from coming back to this resort.

All and all a fine resort for a wonderful vacation. Bring a car and bring dvd's.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Vincent O

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

We booked Kunuku after a long search for a three-bedroom rental for the New Year holiday. It was not our first choice due to location, as it is not near the beach. That said, I could see this being a very good option for families with young kids. The apartments are large and very comfortable, with nice bathrooms and a very good kitchen. The pool is beautiful and perfect for young kids - especially with the slide. The staff even set us up with a welcome package, stocking the fridge with everything we'd need for the first day - including bread, ham cheese, eggs, beer and wine. Also, even though it is not on the beach, it is within a 10-minute drive to Willemstad and some great beaches, and is literally right in the middle of the island, and they will arrange for a rental car at what seemed to be competitive rates.

A few things to note - no microwaves in the kitchen. Not an issue for us, but could be for some. There is no door on the master bathroom - makes sleeping in late a bit less convenient if you're traveling with an early bird. Lastly, the place is very loud. The construction is such that you literally hear every noise in the pool. This means kids playing (yelling) from 8 AM to 8 PM. It is also right on the descent path to the airport, and lastly, as we were there for new years, our unit (16-2) happened to be the staging area for the fireworks show. This is a Curacao tradition, but it was bit much, especially as a stray hit our patio while we were out making our new year toast. Bottom line, if you are looking for quiet, this is not your place.

I give this a Very Good rating as opposed to average for two reasons - the staff is very pleasant and frankly, it was great value for the money. Probably the best rate we found on the island for what we got, and the website photos do not do the place justice - it is actually much prettier, and the apartments much nicer than we anticipated.

Room Tip: Ask the staff to recommend a quieter room or a pool room (loud but convenient) depending on what you...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank bostrvlr
Willemstad, Curacao
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

We booked a daypass at kunuku aqua resort with a group of youngsters. We were a group of about 22 people. Upon our arrival we were greeted by a young lady at the front desk when we identified ourselves she proceeded to ask the leader of the group very impolitely what we were there for. After explaining to her that we have called ahead during the week she proceeded to bill us. This did not go without the unnecessary unpleasantness. She Asked if we could pay at once for they did not have sufficient change for everybody. We had to pay one amount and see later among st ourselves how we would divide everybody's change. But luckily for us they scratch together some loose coins so everybody could get there change. The youngsters had fun in and around the pool. Despite the unfriendly service at the bar & poor quality food. A few hours into our stay the smartphone of one of the youngsters fell into the pool. We took all the necessary steps to insure that the phone would make it all right out of the ordeal. But seeing that this youngster had just gotten her costly phone just a few days before she was a bit distraught. We decided to go to the reception to see if we could get a hairdryer to dry it off a bit more. When we got there the lady at the reception could not help us with a hairdryer. When we were just about to leave she asked what had happened. I explained to her what happened to the phone. The young lady to whom the phone belonged to was standing next to me crying. A gentlemen sitting in the back office overheard our conversation and proceeded to shout from behind his desk that we might as well forget about making the phone work again. And then started laughing buoyantly with a few other colleagues who were also standing there. Naturally the young lady started to cry heavily about her phone and I took her outside to calm her down. I went back into the reception to complain about the rude and inappropriate behavior of this gentlemen. I was blatantly ignored by the receptionist when I called to get some service. Irritated I raised my voice to get noticed. The gentleman in question came out and asked what was the matter and I told him that his behavior earlier was inappropriate and unacceptable. He then started to raise his voice to me and tell me that is was a stupid phone and that she could buy another one. I kept telling him that he was out of line with his behavior and his reaction to the matter. That I was a paying costumer and he had no right to talk to me in that tone of voice. He then violently slammed his fist on the counter and said it was the end of the discussion. I again told him that he had no right to treat me like that. He yelled at me again and told me that if I did not like I should gather my things and leave the property. While preparing to leave, he came to me offering to get a hairdryer to dry off the phone. He also wanted to discuss the incident further I said I was not interested. It was after I started crying and telling my colleague and a few bystanders that this gentlemen had no right to yell at me that way he offered an insincere apology. I have never felt more humiliated in my life. This gentlemen s behavior was totally uncalled for and unprofessional. I will never again visit this establishment.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
21 Thank Irela P
Bonaire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

We had a fantastic stay at Kunuku Aqua Resort. Beautiful apartments with good size rooms. Everything is there and clean. Large porch.
Our children loved the water-slide at the pool. It's a fantastic place if you are a family with children our age (5 and 8). The pool had supervision.
The bar which serves dinner is a disappointment. The food is of poor quality and people hardly pay attention to their customers.
BUT: That won't keep us from going more often to this place. We will just have to use the fully equipped kitchen or find a nice restaurant.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Kura Hulanda Lodge & Beach Club
Kura Hulanda Lodge & Beach Club
#1 of 1 in Sabana Westpunt
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Kunuku Aqua Resort? Share your experiences!