“A local institution”

The Red Herring Vegetarian Restaurant
Ranked #39 of 97 Restaurants in Urbana
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Reviewed 2 January 2013

The food at the Red Herring varies from year to year. I believe this is because the chef changes. Right now I find the food a little disappointing -- but ok. This time last year I was blown away. So I recommend revisiting once in a while. A plus is that they've moved to using mostly local produce.

There are also vegetarian meals served by other organizations sometimes in the evenings, which can be amazing. For example, the local Krishna organization is there some Mondays during the semester, and an Indian fundraising organization (Sam Bar, http://www.ashanet.org/uiuc/) occasionally shows up serving South Indian food.

Be advised -- this is NOT a typical restaurant. This is a basement with the decor painted directly on the walls and cardboard over a hole in the window. You can watch the workers prepare your meals in the small kitchen. There is occasionally live music that is very good. The people who eat there and who work there are interesting to watch. This place and the Espresso Royale location that is a block away are, to my mind, local institutions.

1  Thank SCarpenter_12

Reviewed 29 October 2012

Grandson and I hot the Red Herring for dinner on Saturday nite during U of I Homecoming. The Two-Bean Chili was really, really good - a drop of Sriracha Sauce to liven it up for these old Texian taste buds brought a bead of perspiration to the brow :-) With their limited Vegetarian menu, the Red Herring is not high class, not high brow, and not high priced. A jazz combo was setting up but we had other things to do so didn't get to hang around. Oh, and the young man running the kitchen turned out good steaming pot of coffee while we were there... Very friendly.

Reviewed 22 January 2012

Title says it all. The food is bad and the service is terrible.

Reviewed 31 December 2011

I am not sure if this was once was busy place and people stopped going or what. It is disappointing because I think the food is quite yummy (and the staff is friendly).

For vegetarian, this is a great place (and I would think an ideal place to hang out and meet new people -- but it is always empty!).

I like the food a lot (especially the soups).

It is right on campus so the location is great and the ingredients are good.

Lots of veggie options.

1  Thank Turlough705
Reviewed 26 November 2010

Little variety on dishes, but most were excellent. Vegan food, but palatable! Actually, more than palatable. And cheap too. And the cornbread was really awesome. The basement was a little dingy and dark, but it was/is a co-op after all, what more do you want? And the folks working there were always pretty interesting. The hours are difficult though (lunch only, while school is in session), and since we've never been back to UIUC during the semester, we haven't been back since we graduated. But we would visit the red herring if we were there when it was open :-)