“A Fortunate Encounter”

Dining options: Reservations
Oakland, California
“A Fortunate Encounter”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

A former charming huge saloon called Phehn's (I think) has been broken into a couple of restaurants, including this one. Our target restaurant had closed at 9:00 pm and we tried this one next door. I had the Onion Fondue, something I haven't had in decades. The food and service are good, and Krannert performances are nearby. I'd do it again.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank torrealta

Boulder, Colorado
“Great Quality”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Although it's a bit expensive, at least for a graduate student like me, the quality was satisfying. I ordered a filet mignon for $22, which included 2 sides as well. Quantity was good for me and it made me full. But for a boy, well, the fresh bread and butter that is provided before serving the dishes could help them ;)

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Ghamzak
Champaign
“Next Generation”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The Bread Company has always been known for their wonderful bread which you can buy by the loaf. It's also been a fun and "go to" campus restaurant. The younger generation has taken over and from what we can tell, this will be the up and coming "in place". The menu has been pared down for now with the emphasis on their tried and true customer favorites.

Some friends invited us to take advantage of the "Urbana Restaurant Week" special and we ordered so the four of us could share the Prix Fixe menu with 3 salads, a raclette or a fondue and 3 desserts for our choices.

The garlicky lemon salad was wonderful with the raclette and fondue (my favorite) totally delicious. The unexpected and over the top wonderful dessert was a lemon tart with blood orange and lavender whipped cream. The combination of tastes was marvelous.

I can't wait to see what the menu will look like in months to come!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Roadie66
Champaign, Illinois
“Delicious food”
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

I have been to this restaurant only once. I ordered potato soup in a bread bowl, and it was delicious!

• Visited November 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Pretty good, but over priced.”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I ordered half a grilled sandwich and half of a salad for lunch one day, and it came out to be over $10! Not a fair portion size to price ratio- almost as bad as places like Panera. The sandwich I had was very good though- turkey and pesto with gruyere. I'm convincing myself that the sandwich was worth the price, but the salad was most definitely not.

• Visited August 2013