“The whole package + convenience on-campus”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Illini Union Hotel

Illini Union Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Urbana
Clearwater, Minnesota
“The whole package + convenience on-campus”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Like many great public universities the University of Illinois Union Hotel (Illini Union), situated on the north end of the great Quad is a jewel lesser known to travelers arriving in a college town. Sure, if you work or navigate the world of higher ed you have learned about school "Union" hotels. But if you do not frequent university campuses on a regular basis this type of hotel wouldn't be on your radar. I've stayed in UU (University Union) hotels all over the country and the Illini Union is one of my favorites. Not just as an alumna but the features and services available are top notch. Illinois is a leader in accessibility so if you have any kind of physical/mobility needs or questions just ask. This is the most accessible campus I've ever been on.

I have stayed here a few times and check in is always flawless, polite, good suggestions, and helpful even at 3 in the morning. My room was clean with one of the most comfortable queen beds I've slept on in a hotel for awhile. I was staying in Chambana, (Champaign Urbana), for ten days this trip so comfort was very important. As it turns out more important than I would have imagined.

There were a plethora of electrical outlets, all updated and thoughtfully place around the room. The working desk was spacious w/ a comfortable, lumbar supportive chair where I spent a great deal of time writing. A large over stuffed chair provided some variety during long days working in the room. There was a huge TV w/ a great picture if you wanted to watch a game, (which I didn't and took great strength to not turn on until time to go to sleep), or the weather (which I did watch due to a series of winter storms rolling through).

There is a reasonable continental breakfast served daily included in the price of the room. If you want Belgian waffles and all that stay at the Country Inns and Suites but cereal, oatmeal, bread stuff (bagels, muffins, toast), yogurt, juice, coffee, tea, etc are good and handy on the second floor. Very small space so it it is busy you might have to wait a little bit to get in.
The bathroom is small, no way around that but the building is very old and while updates can modernize fixtures, furniture and shower curtain rods, the space they have is just that. Since most people don't go here to sit in their hotel room, the small bathroom is the tradeoff for the larger more open room space. Unfortunately I was very sick here for four days so the small bathroom was more of an issue to me.

Because I was so very ill on this trip, I really appreciated the staff. I was traveling alone from out of state and the staff was very empathetic and responded quickly to my few requests for service or if I had a problem. The second floor staff was wonderful as was the front desk. Top notch.

Virtually everything, especially the world class library at the University of Illinois is at your fingertips from a base in the IU. Check out the daily schedule and the University web page to see if there is a lecture (usually free), play or performance, game (Illinois is a member of the Big Ten athletic conference, (I doubt there are too many days where some type of athletic event is not being hosted on-campus). Check out http://illinois.edu/ for all of the options athletic, intellectual and social.

There is a variety of food service options in the lower level of the Union as well as dependable city bus lines 20 yards outside the door. Parking for hotel patrons is included in the cost of the room and is literally just right outside the building. No trouble getting my remote start to work here:) Extremely convenient and important on a college campus where parking is always tough. Huge benefit.

I hesitate to recommend this location but only for selfish reasons. I enjoy staying here, it makes my life easier when I come to U of I to stay here and not have to drive on campus to feed meter parking or park in a deck. When it gets too popular I won't be able to get a reservation and that will not make me happy but there is no denying the strength of the staff, the convenience of the location, the comfortable accommodations and all the other benefits of staying at the Illini Union

Room Tip: The University of Illinois has a beautiful Quad or central campus. The IU sits on the north end of...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Ellyn B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

To be close to the action, stay at the Illini union hotel. Located on upper floors, some of the rooms have views of the quad. Room decor is consistent with that of the other rooms on the first floor of the Union. Breakfast is included but take a pass on it and have breakfast on campus at panera or flattop grille. Rooms can be toughs to get during events and sports seasons; if they say they are booked, check a few days before. If you are there to visit U of I with a prospective student, you get a discount. Free parking Ina nearby lot is included, which is valuable in itself. Go Illini!!!

Room Tip: When checking in, make sure your room is not near a large block of rooms. Once we were there in the...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

My wife and I are alums of the University of Illinois and looked forward to staying at the Illini Union Hotel when we went there for our daughters registration on July 1, 2013. We checked in after the drive and then went touring the towns we hadn't seen in many years. We were back at the hotel for perhaps a half hour when my wife noticed a bug on my daughters pillow. She freaked out saying it's a bed bug. I didn't want to believe it as I was tired from the drive and walking on my surgically repaired knee. I was still fully clothed, laying on the bed, so I advocated for it just being an outdoor bug that got in (dumb, but I was tired). I got a good look at the bug as I took the pillow to the bathroom to get rid of it. There smaller bugs on it. I checked online and darned if it wasn't exactly a bedbug! Upon further inspection, they were all around the bed. We got the hell out of there at 11:30 at night and thankfully got a room at another, real, hotel in town. Fortunately, we didn't carry any out with us. However, we carried several bug BITES on us, even I who was fully clothed had bites on my ankles while laying atop the blanket.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. It isn't worth it.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Gerry M
Illini_Union, Manager at Illini Union Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
The staff and management, again, apologize for your experience. We had the area treated immediately. We actually were told that's a common problem throughout town and our hotel has one of the better records for least occurrences. Our staff prides itself in the cleanliness of our rooms.
chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

We stayed at the Illini Union for a recent college visit. As an Alum of U of I, I was so excited to stay there! We areived at the Union, checked in and receuved our parking pass and went to our room. As for parking....it was "one and done". Made things so much easier and didn't have to worry about looking for legal spots to park. The Union is centrally located in campus but really everything revolves around this location as it sits at one end of the Quad. The beds were very comfortable. Room was clean and perfect for sleeping. Rooms are in need of updating but this didnt really bother us because we were really only there to shower and sleep. Continental breakfast was included and was very basic (danish, muffins, bagels, cold cereal, coffee, juice). Would definitely stay there again. Bery hard to get rooms there for cisitors weekends/football games.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank dfish1079
Thank you so much for your comments. It's so special when someone takes the time to good things. We appreciate your business and hope to see you soon!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

All in all, this hotel was quite a bit pricier than other hotels in the area and you are paying top $ for location - and nothing more.
The staff at the hotel was great. Very friendly and accommodating. I very much so appreciated that.
The rooms themselves were very bare bones and extremely outdated -- (minus the big screen TV on the wall)... I felt like I had gone back in time. The bathroom was very tiny, and again in need of some updating. The beds were very comfortable however.
My main concern was the noise factor. While people were respectful at night, in the morning, the hotel got very very noisy. I am not sure if it was people congregating in the hallways or in adjacent rooms (because the hotel is so old, I can see how this would be a concern).
Free breakfast is provided, but only until 9, so we missed it...
Overall, while the staff was great, I probably would not spend the extra $ to stay here unless I really needed to be able to stay right on campus.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hollyx113
The staff an management of the Illini Union thank you for your comments. After undergoing renovations from 2004 through 2009, we will be planning more in the near future. We'll look forward to seeing you then!
Park Ridge, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

Took a tour of the campus. Parked once and done. Everything is within 10 minute walk which gives you a feel of the campus . The room were comfortable, clean, and breakfast was included. Nice view of the quad

Room Tip: I mentioned visiting for a campus tour received 10.00 discount.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank kimdrago
Thank you so much for the kind words. It's refreshing to be able to hear the good comments and be able to pass them on the staff. We hope to see you again soon!
Springfield, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

Check in was easy, lots of food options in the food court, there is a student rec center in the basement where you can bowl or play arcades, and it is in the middle of campus so it is very conveniently located. Not fancy, but served its purpose.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Thanks for the kind words. We really appreciate your taking the time to comment. It's morale-boosting to be able to pass along to the staff that someone's noticed the good jib they do. We hope to see you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbana
Hyatt Place Champaign
Hyatt Place Champaign
#2 of 25 in Champaign
TownePlace Suites Champaign Urbana/Campustown
Homewood Suites by Hilton Champaign-Urbana
Hampton Inn Champaign/Urbana
Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, University Area
I Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Illini Union Hotel? Share your experiences!