“Clean, quiet, but needs an upgrade.”

Econo Lodge Champaign Urbana – University Area
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Urbana
Goshen, KY
“Clean, quiet, but needs an upgrade.”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Stopped here to break up a long trip from Northern Minnesota to Kentucky. As choice hotel members we try to stay with them when available and the price for an overnight stay here was very reasonable. Haven't stayed at a Sleep Inn in a while (usually choose Comfort Inn) but have had pleasant experiences with them elsewhere. The room itself was clean but appeared older than it should. Carpet was worn and shower door could use some serious cleaning and a wallpaper upgrade would make the place feel brighter. The bed was clean and comfortable and we had a quiet nights sleep. We didn't try the breakfast as we had already planned to eat at Cracker Barrel, but I did go down to get some coffee. It was absolutely the worse cup of coffee I've ever had - I threw it out in our sink. So I hope that the rest of their breakfast offerings are better for those that choose to partake of them. Travelers Hint: Good value for a clean quite place for an overnighter but don't drink their coffee!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff, breakfast was average, super comfy bed, nice room and clean! Fantastic hotel for cheap price. King room for $54 but I used my rewards points!! We ride motorcycles and they let us keep it under the overhang - that's a bonus in my book!!

• Stayed July 2013
Greensburg
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Actually, the room and service were fine - pretty much as expected from one of the Choice Hotels. The hotel was well-located for us and we had a pleasant stay. But the complimentary breakfast was another matter. There was the normal stuff, such as cereal, rolls, etc. But the coffee was just horrible. It was the worst I ever tasted and others staying there felt the same. It tasted about what dishwater would be expected to taste like. I'm sure the staff were told about it but nothing was done. Also, the oraange juice was watered down and tasteless. We tend to pick hotels that would have decent breakfasts and this was not one of those.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank buster1029
Fishers, Indiana
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I have had very good experience with Sleep inns in the past as far as what you get for the value. While, I dont have a real problem with this one there were a few items that were a bummer. The room itself was nice and clean, with microwave, frig, big clean shower, smaller LCD and what I have come to expect for Sleep Inn. However, the small things... the printer was out of ink, the exercise room was shut down, they had already ran out of waffle mix at 7am, and the parking lot is very small so if you get there late you may have to park across the street at their sister hotel.Not a bad stay but not on par with other Sleep Inns Ive stayed at.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Friendship, Wi.
Reviewed 7 May 2013

After checking reviews and prices for hotels in the Champaign-Urbana, we settled on this one and were pleased with the service and facilities. The desk clerk was friendly and helpful. We had a room on the third floor and found it to be clean and quiet. We have traveled to and from Florida for the past eleven years and this hotel ranks among the best that we've stayed at. The breakfast was adequate and well stocked.

Room Tip: We prefer a room with no one above us for noise reasons so we chose one on the third floor. The hote...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Decatur, Illinois
Reviewed 28 April 2013

I stayed one night at Sleep inn. I was pleased with the front desk staff. The breakfast was what other hotels usually have- cereal, donuts, waffles, etc. That was nice for the price. I asked for a quiet room and was given one. I didn't hear a peep!
I had to change rooms as the first one I was given didn't lock. When I changed, I got a room without a refrigerator. Not all rooms are alike and there is a bit of dysfunction, but I got a great night's sleep, which is what I wanted. The room was clean and functional. I thought about using the pool. I checked the water and it wasn't chilly, but I got lazy and didn't use the pool. Maybe next time?

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Warrenville, Illinois
Reviewed 18 November 2012

I went to Urbana for a concert at Canopy Club and wanted a reasonable but clean place. Sleep Inn had one of the higher ratings of the "below $90" hotels. I can't believe the place across the street was $150!! Sleep Inn had friendly staff, clean rooms, newer showers and some rooms have a fridge and microwave. I didn't need this or have it in my room, but the friend I was traveling with had it in his room. There were vending machines on every floor and a continental breakfast which had hard-boiled eggs, a breakfast meat (can't recall) and cold continental.
The best thing about any hotel for me is the bed and pillows. My bed was a tad firm, but the pillows were awesome (you can find them by looking up "choice hotels international pillows" and pick the 20x26" standard pillow). There were FIVE on my bed and it was quite comfy.
I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Ask for a fridge/micro if you need it.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Cassign
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbana
Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, University Area
La Quinta Inn Champaign
#6 of 25 in Champaign
Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign
Hampton Inn Champaign/Urbana

Been to Econo Lodge Champaign Urbana – University Area? Share your experiences!