“Travel 50% each Month”

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Urbana
Geneva, Illinois
“Travel 50% each Month”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

The hotel has a great staff and if you stay there a few times they do remember you. Extra points as a Holiday Inn club member are great. A free drink or soda each night is always appreciated. Priority Members have coffee out and pastries each morning. I love the open feeling of the building and when the winter winds are blowing, it is nice to look out from the fifth floor see the weather.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the lobby are best on football nights due to the cheering if you have to get up earl...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Roodhouse
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

Rooms were clean. The thermostat however didn't seem to work. Room was too warm for us. Husband slept w/o covers and just a sheet for me, which is unusual. Also had trouble connecting to wifi. Was told we had to go thru google to get it to work. Still couldnt get it to work on iPhone. Didn't eat here so no review on that. Our room overlooked the pool area and it was loud as this is where they do their events. After a long day we were ready for an early night, luckily I was so tired I put a pillow over my head and was out, otherwise I wouldnt have been happy.

Room Tip: Get a room away from noisy pool area.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

My family and I were driving to Chicago and made it as far as Urbana before stopping and making a reservation through Priceline. We were given a reservation at the Holiday Inn and were pleased with everything. The room was well-appointed and comfortable. The only disappointment was that the bathroom was poorly lit with old fluorescent lights. Everything was lovely and exceeded my expectations.

Because we were in a hurry to get back on the road, we decided to eat at the breakfast buffet. This was disappointing. None of the tables had a complete place setting, they were all littered with crumbs, and many of the tables were sticky. Some of the plates at the buffet were dirty, and the selection was very limited. We were disappointed that the buffet didn't live up to the great experience we had already had.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this review, 1 November 2012
Dear PastorMom,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I am glad that you liked the room and found the bed comfortable. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had during breakfast. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Los Angeles, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2012 via mobile

I just cannot imagine how a hotel (and a big brand at that) that claims to do conferences an event can have service this bad. I'm on my second day here and stuck another day and a half. Nothing, and I mean nothing, starts on time here. Breakfast in the morning? nope. Room service in the evening? Nope. So... You don't believe me and stay here anyway because it's a Holiday Inn and must be decent, right? So what can you expect? A few tips: 1) be prepared to run the water for a loooong time to get hot water; 2) call before you try to go to the restaurant since their opening hours are more of a suggestion than reality; 3) actually maybe don't call since, if there is any event at the hotel, chances are no one will answer the phone; 4) when you go to check to see if the restaurant is open, make sure to ask if you can actually order off the menu (I was told I couldn't as it would "take forever" because there was "so much going on"; 5) don't expect your room to be cleaned before 1 pm; 6) call as soon as possible if you want a mini fridge as they deliver those rather than have them in the rooms and they run out quickly; 7) don't expect to run into anyone who cares whatsoever about your experience. As long as you go in with those expectations you'll be just fine! I stay at a fair number of hotels and something is just wrong with this location.

• Stayed October 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this review, 19 October 2012
Dear azulfalcon,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please accept my sincerest apology for the poor service you received and the issues you had with your room accommodations. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

I thought that this would be a bad hotel, but it sure wasn't! The lobby was very nice, staff were very polite, and the bed was very comfortable! Breakfast was very good! My family and I came here for the football game today, and we needed a place to stay because we live 3 Hours away from here, we did not want to get up at 5 in the morning to get to the game.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Indianapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

Stayed here for one night and had a great stay. Staff was excellent, very friendly. Weekend I was there they were hosting a big fundraiser for Give Kids the World and staff was very excited and supportive of the fundraiser.

Great location just off interstate and close to University of Illinois. Room was very nice, clean comfortable and good size. Bathroom was solid too.

Overall, great hotel and I would stay again when visiting Chaigmpain/Urbana.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Greg S
Baltimore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

I booked a room here when attending a conference at the University, a couple of miles away. My room was fine (all the basics). But the best thing was the shuttle. They were able to take me to and from the conference, and even took me to the airport after the conference. The drivers were great - very helpful and polite. The only bad thing was the breakfast - they had a buffet, for about $10 but... no bread or toast, very unappetizing eggs and pancakes. The next day I found a close restaurant - called something like "Garden Inn Family Restaurant", which was wonderful - for all meals. A real old fashioned place with great food, friendly service and low prices.

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbana
Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, University Area
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Champaign
Ramada Urbana/Champaign
Red Roof Inn Champaign
Red Roof Inn Champaign
#16 of 25 in Champaign
Hampton Inn Champaign/Urbana
Econo Lodge Champaign Urbana – University Area

Been to Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign? Share your experiences!