“Questionable Cleanliness”

Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign
Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Urbana
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I booked a last minute room via Priceline so I received a very good rate on the room. When I checked into the room, I noticed that the bathroom was not very clean (toilet was not flushed) and there was no soap. Even though the towels had been refreshed, I wondered if the room had been properly cleaned so I packed up my things and went down to the front desk and asked to be put into another room. The second room looked clean, but there was still no soap in the bathroom! The pool water was also cloudy and I couldn't get the wi-fi to work. I was disappointed in my experience - I could have stayed somewhere cheaper and gotten a better room. Not a 3 star hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2013

Dear srbaranczk,

I wanted to thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay at our hotel and personally apologize that your stay was less than satisfactory. Our goal is to meet and exceed all of our guest’s expectations and I am truly sorry that we did not on this visit. We appreciate your loyalty to our brand and choosing to stay at Holiday Inns when you travel.

Please know that your feedback regarding the cleanliness of the rooms, pool and the wireless internet have been addressed with the appropriate members of our management team. I appreciate you bringing it to our attention and ask that if you do come back to the area, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

There are newer reviews for Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign

Reviewed 22 May 2013

Stayed here for Graduation weekend and as usual room was great, clean and quiet. I've stayed here last 3 years for MOM'S and DAD'S weekends. This last time asked if I could have some catering for a small brunch for graduation morning. Manager Amy was GREAT in assisting and suggesting some menu choices. The quiche was fantastic, fruit and homemade pecan rolls to die for. Was ready on time and piping hot. Enjoyed by my daughters roommates family and mine.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Dear beachqueenChicago,

Thank you very much for the fantastic review! We are so happy to hear our guests' positive feedback and are glad you enjoyed your stay--especially on such a special weekend!

Please know that we have shared your comments with both Chef and Amy as well as all members of our staff. I am glad to hear that your family enjoyed the breakfast that was provided to you and we are in agreement over the pecan rolls! Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

We greatly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The room was clean, thoughtfully appointed, and the bed was very comfortable. We were there for U of I's graduation weekend, which was also Mother's Day this year, and they were fully booked. People were coming and going at all hours of the day and night, but the room was extremely quiet. We were on the 4th floor with a large window overlooking the atrium. The room darkening curtains were fantastic! Even at 7:00 am, the room was pitch dark which was great because we wanted to sleep in. We missed having a mini-fridge in our room since we were there for a couple of days.
All the staff that we encountered were extremely courteous and helpful. To our surprise, breakfast was included for this particular weekend and it was accompanied by live music on Mother's
I would recommend this hotel and would also stay there again. It's not a new property, but it's well maintained.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Dear GayleEK054,

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel on Graduation Weekend! Thank you for your detailed response. We strive for our guests to enjoy their stay so much they want to share it with others!

I am glad that you were able to enjoy a peaceful night's rest in the room but also the complimentary breakfast buffet we offered all weekend. We hope you choose to stay with us again but on your next visit, please be sure to check with the front desk if we have any mini-fridges available. We do have a limited amount that can be delivered free of charge to your room if it is available.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see accommodate you in the future!

Reviewed 30 April 2013

Upon arrival was greeted promptly and courteously. Was thanked for being a Priority Club member as is standard for Holiday Inn properties. Received drink coupons for each nights stay good for the bar in the lobby. Coupons could also be exchanged for bottles of water. Rooms do not have a microwave or mini-fridge, only a small coffee maker. USA Today was delivered outside the room every morning.

My room was on the 5th floor facing the atrium. The atrium is a large open area that encompasses the lobby, restaurant and bar. The large open area outside the room causes noise to echo considerably resulting in high noise levels in the room, particularly during peak dining/drinking hours.

Hotel seems to place an emphasis on being "Green" resulting in toilets that need to be flushed twice, low water pressure in sinks and showers, and water that would get lukewarm at best. Complaints about the water temperature would result in warmer water for the next day or two and then right back to the cooler water temperatures from before. One desk clerk even admitted that the water temperature is the single most common complaint received.

While admittedly it is not the fault of the staff or management, the fire alarm did go off at approximately 12:45 AM on a weeknight. Hotel was evacuated as the fire department responded and inspected the building, although they did allow us to congregate in the lobby as it was quite chilly outside. I can only speculate that there was a malfunction in the system and not a random or accidental station pull as numerous attempts to reset the system resulted in the alarm going off again. We were finally allowed to return to our rooms approximately 45 minutes after the initial alarm with the disclaimer that the alarm may sound again but to disregard it unless it is continuous. The alarm did sound one more time but was quickly silenced and I was finally able to go back to sleep.

Overall cleanliness and service was satisfactory but I will not be returning to this hotel when I am back in the area for continued work as the hassles far outweigh the benefits.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the exterior will be much quieter as compared to rooms facing the atrium.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

Dear Jeff S,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. I apologize for the shortfalls during your recent stay with us. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 23 April 2013

My husband and I stayed over night this past weekend for a anniversary dinner celebration. The room was very clean. The bed was extremely comfortable and had I a great night's sleep. We would stay there again. The only thing I wish was included was a breakfast for the price. But there are eating options near by.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear jadhumes,

Thank you for writing a review regarding your stay at our hotel! We truly enjoy our guests taking the time to give us their feedback.

I am glad that you found the beds to be comfortable as we know it makes a big difference in how you start your day! Thank you again for choosing to stay at our hotel especially during your special day and we hope to accommodate you again!

Reviewed 13 April 2013 via mobile

I booked a room back in October thru AAA for Mom's weekend at U of I and received a confirmation immediately thereafter. When I went to check-in today, I was told that there had been a problem with my credit card and they gave my room away. When I asked why someone didn't call me to clear up the credit card issue before they gave away my room, I was told that was a good question. I was then told that they did try to call me but must have had the wrong number.
Management offered to get me a room at another hotel at $60 more per night. I declined.
AAA said they also would not be able to get me the confirmed Holiday Inn rate at another hotel. AAA said they had no information about the credit card.
Lesson learned: a confirmed reservation really isn't a confirmed reservation.

Stayed: April 2013
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2013

Dear FritzieontheGo,

Thank you for taking the time to sharing your comments. I sincerely apologize we were not able to accommodate you that weekend. When dealing with special event weekends where we have special requirements, we do everything in our power to ensure that the appropriate measures are taken. Although we followed all of the steps available to us regarding your reservation, we were unable to accommodate you and for that, we are truly sorry. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 3 April 2013

A nice place to stay, but a little on the dated side. The rooms were very well kept and spacious. In room wi-fi was a big plus as well. You will have to try the pizza at the lower lobby bar.....fantastic! Great service all around the hotel, very helpful!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbana
Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, University Area
Wingate By Wyndham Champaign
Red Roof Inn Champaign
Red Roof Inn Champaign
#14 of 25 in Champaign
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Urbana-Champaign (U of I Area)
Baymont Inn & Suites Champaign
Hampton Inn Champaign/Urbana

Been to Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign? Share your experiences!