“Overpriced & Noisy” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign

Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign
Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Urbana
Highland Park, Illinois
“Overpriced & Noisy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

I stayed here for one night while trying to help my son organize his apartment. It says something (not good) when I feel like, upon leaving the hotel, that I would have been better off sleeping on his couch!

First of all this is not the cheapest place to stay in the Champaign-Urbana area so I would have expected something at the very least decent. While the general appearance of the property and the rooms is acceptable that is where it ends.

While check in went fairly smoothly and the clerk friendly it did a bit of waiting before they got to me. Generally I wouldn't have even mentioned the wait but the rest of my experience was so bad that I figure I might as well throw all the punches.

There is a large interior lobby area with what I believe was an open restaurant, a fountain, maybe a bar and I don't know what all. But the point being was a large open space with people gathering. The rooms were either exterior (with windows facing the outside) or interior (with windows facing the lobby). I had the unfortunate luck of getting an interior room. While the lobby has a mostly glass ceiling and gets light from those, the interior rooms are also expected to get their light from the lobby skylights. I felt claustrophobic!

On top of the light situation there are so many reasons for people to be in this lobby that all you hear are people partying all night! When I mentioned the noise at check out in the morning they said "well we had a wedding". That's not my problem, I came for a decent night's sleep and didn't get one.

Final note on the rooms, the pillows were awful, just all bulgy and bumpy and plain uncomfortable.

At check out there was only one staff member at the desk and she was on the phone. I waited for at least ten minutes, during which time she didn't even glance up to indicate that she would be with me in moment.

I know that I will have occasion to stay in the Champaign-Urbana area again but would never ever stay here!

Room Tip: Make sure you have an exterior room! Interior rooms are super noisy and have no real daylight, it...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear Hpmicks,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. I sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. Please know that I have shared your concerns and they will be addressed within the appropriate departments. Though I understand your hesitancy, we hope that you will provide us with another opportunity to better accommodate you.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Cedar Falls, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

As a Platinum member, I've stayed at HE and HE Express properties around the US and abroad, and this property is without a doubt below average in my opinion, and a disappointment to the chain. Dried mud on the room carpet, mold in the bathroom, a party someplace in the building that went on for hours, and a general drab appearance to the property overall. I always know a hotel like this is in trouble and have no intentions of improving when they do not send a survey after a visit. I get surveys after nearly every visit from hotels that have no need to improve, and hotels like this that are in trouble send no survey, which says to me they likely will not be around for much longer since they don't seem to care. I can't recommend this property to others, and I definitely will not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear CFMWvisitor,

I wanted to thank you for sharing the details of your stay at our hotel. I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations on this visit. I understand that you travel often and we truly appreciate your loyalty to the IHG Rewards Club and for choosing to stay at IHG properties.

Please know that I have shared your comments with our management team in order to rectify some of the issues you brought to our attention. Though I understand your reluctance to stay with us again, we do hope you provide us with another opportunity to serve you. Again, thank you for your review and your loyalty to the IHG brand.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

First, let me say that the positives at this property far outweigh anything that I could see as a negative. Although the Holiday Inn, Champaign/Urbana has some challenges, it is an especially good value stay when booked through Hotwire or one of the discount booking services. My rate was $60 per night for a king room with a sofa.

Pros: Overall, rooms were clean and for the most part, very comfortable. Front desk staff was welcoming and offered me a new room when I reported an unusual vibration noise in my first room. Room décor and functionality was up to date and satisfactory. Great value that more than offset the fact that there was not an inclusive breakfast bar. Convenient to highway and university. Gas station/convenience store next door. Wireless Internet signal was strong but sometimes seemed a bit slow.

Cons: Overwhelming smell of chorine when entering the hotel. The entire lobby smells of this from fountains and pools. As a result, restaurant and bar area are not conducive to hanging out. Coffee and tea service tables in elevator area have stained and dirty tablecloths. The full-length mirror in both rooms I stayed in was fixed to the wall such that one side was 1 inch lower than the opposite side. Looks tacky and unprofessional in an otherwise nice looking space. Room 507 has an annoying vibration noise from equipment on the roof. Room 539 was quiet but appeared a tad bit smaller in space. Common areas sometimes felt a bit dingy. I would have loved to have a fridge in the room but I made do with my ice chest. In both rooms, the work desk is positioned in such a way that you get blasted with cold air from the AC unit while sitting at the desk. I've noticed that most hotels have this issue so I would not consider it to be a problem exclusive to this property or chain.

Once again, pros outweigh cons. I would definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Rooms with even numbers face a five story atrium/lobby/pool. Rooms with odd numbers face the outside...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Dear SAMT2002,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to share the details of your last stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate when our guests provide us with this feedback as it allows an opportunity for us to focus on specific areas of improvement. I am glad to hear that you felt the value of your stay was better than the price paid and we will be sure to share your comments with our staff. We hope to accommodate you in the future and you can see some of the changes we have made based on your feedback. Thank you again for writing a review and for your loyalty to our hotel.

Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

"stay impressed" is this hotels "motto", I guess they have no clue what "impressed" means.

NO refrigerators in rooms, small terrible coffee makers in room only.

and the internet is useless in my room, maybe to keep customers from doing bad reviews on the hotel!!!??? I think the internet problem has made me the most irritated. Trying to do work while staying here was terrible, a waste of time and money.

the only reason i ended up here was the scam perpetrated by price line. Why would this hotel show up in different star levels?

The "fitness center" is a joke, and probably has never been cleaned.

Price line is a joke for having this rated as a top hotel in Champaign, bidders beware. this hotel shows up in the 2 star rating also on priceline. Does not make sense pure rip off. I paid more and could of bid on a lesser star rating and got the same hotel cheaper!!!!

I am not happy at all with the no refrigerator or decent coffee maker, also the internet makes me upset. its 2013 can a hotel like this PLEASE have good to great wifi?

only good thing about this hotel is the beds....I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: none to choose from
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Dear Foodwriter007,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to share the details of your stay and I am extremely sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations on several aspects of your visit. Please know that I have shared your feedback with our management team and we have started efforts to address some of those issues including updating our internet.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience and I hope you do change your decision in staying elsewhere on your next visit.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

We rolled on around 2am. The clerk was nice enough. The place is in a decent location. We did not feel unsafe. The rooms were clean. It was affordable. But as an ihg member, I had expected more. Usually we are greeted with snacks and water when we check in. Not a big deal, but something we are used to from ihg properties. They had a breakfast cafe available to purchase from, but I really value a nice free breakfast, which most ihg properties have offered. Plus the pool is located next to their cafe, in the open air. The smell of chlorine was heavy when we checked in. I wouldn't want to eat in it. Probably won't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Dear ama97,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We do truly appreciate our guests taking the time to share their experience with other guests. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations of the IHG Rewards Club. I understand that as a member, you do travel often and the extra benefits of the loyalty program are important to you. Thank you for your loyalty to the IHG Rewards Club and I will be sure to share your sentiments to our upper management team.

Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed on a weekend at the Holiday Inn, and I was a bit nervous to see a large group from a baseball tournament check-in.....but, I could not have been more pleased with the hotel & staff!! The service was great, our room was very clean, and the other occupants were very quiet. We had great food at the bar/grill one night, and the breakfast in the morning was very nice. I have to compliment the staff for all their service! They gave me a room away from the large groups to ensure that it was quiet. They quickly responded to my room to fix a loose latch on our door, and the bartender's service was great on a very busy Friday night!! I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear PVE_11,

Thank you so much for the fantastic review! We are always excited when our guests not only share their experience but really enjoyed their stay. Please know that we will share your feedback with our Management Team as well as our staff members.

I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy both our breakfast and dinner while you were here! And though we hope that our guests do not experience any inconveniences during their stay, I appreciate you contacting our staff to address the issue with your room door so we could fix it immediately.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again hopefully in the very near future!

Milner, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed in Champaign for one night to attend a wedding and we booked this hotel. I will admit that we used priceline to book the hotel, but we wish we would have paid the price to stay somewhere better. Even with priceline the cost of 1 room was around $100. Breakfast isn't even included with an overnight stay. My husband is a priority club member and they gave him a voucher for a free cocktail drink at the bar...this voucher ended up being for ONE drink only, it didn't cover a drink for the guest (me). Nothing spectacular about the hotel. At least our room was quiet.

Room Tip: We asked for a corner room far away from the pool.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Dear Mo F,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay at our hotel. I am sorry that you did not receive the value you should have relative to the price you paid. We strive to ensure our guests fully enjoy every aspect of their stay and I apologize we did not meet your expectations. Though breakfast is not included in your room rate, I hope you were able to enjoy our good food and reasonable prices in our full-service restaurant. Our close proximity also allows for great dining close by and we would be happy to suggest places for you in the future. Thank you for sharing details of your experience and we hope to be allowed an opportunity to accommodate you again.

Assistant General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbana
Ramada Urbana/Champaign
Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, University Area
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Champaign
Wingate By Wyndham Champaign
Hampton Inn Champaign/Urbana
Red Roof Inn Champaign
Red Roof Inn Champaign
#16 of 25 in Champaign

Been to Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign? Share your experiences!