I stayed here for one night while trying to help my son organize his apartment. It says something (not good) when I feel like, upon leaving the hotel, that I would have been better off sleeping on his couch!
First of all this is not the cheapest place to stay in the Champaign-Urbana area so I would have expected something at the very least decent. While the general appearance of the property and the rooms is acceptable that is where it ends.
While check in went fairly smoothly and the clerk friendly it did a bit of waiting before they got to me. Generally I wouldn't have even mentioned the wait but the rest of my experience was so bad that I figure I might as well throw all the punches.
There is a large interior lobby area with what I believe was an open restaurant, a fountain, maybe a bar and I don't know what all. But the point being was a large open space with people gathering. The rooms were either exterior (with windows facing the outside) or interior (with windows facing the lobby). I had the unfortunate luck of getting an interior room. While the lobby has a mostly glass ceiling and gets light from those, the interior rooms are also expected to get their light from the lobby skylights. I felt claustrophobic!
On top of the light situation there are so many reasons for people to be in this lobby that all you hear are people partying all night! When I mentioned the noise at check out in the morning they said "well we had a wedding". That's not my problem, I came for a decent night's sleep and didn't get one.
Final note on the rooms, the pillows were awful, just all bulgy and bumpy and plain uncomfortable.
At check out there was only one staff member at the desk and she was on the phone. I waited for at least ten minutes, during which time she didn't even glance up to indicate that she would be with me in moment.
I know that I will have occasion to stay in the Champaign-Urbana area again but would never ever stay here!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just off I74 at Lincoln Ave, you are a short two mile drive from the heart of the University of Illinois, including Memorial Stadium (home to the Fighting Illini Football) and the University of Illinois State Farm Center. Also near the Wyndham Garden are the quaint downtowns of Urbana and Champaign. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Hotels.com, Agoda and Ebookers so you can book your Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Champaign Urbana Hotel Urbana
- Holiday Inn Urbana
- Urbana Holiday Inn
- Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign IL - Champaign-Urbana