“Good Place to Stay!”

Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign
Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Urbana
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at the Holiday Inn for our daughter's U of I graduation. I have also stayed here for Mom's Weekend. I recommend this hotel. It is not far from campus. The staff is very pleasant and go out of their way to assist you. There is always an extra touch. For both Graduation and Mom's weekend there were champagne and snacks in the lobby. Breakfast, which was included was very good. Graduation morning there was a wonderful brunch included. Even our daughter was able to attend.

The rooms are very clean and updated. We had no trouble with noise level. There is a pool, but we didn't use it. All in all a great place to stay, especially if you are visiting the U of I campus.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the outside. Some rooms overlook the atrium.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Virginia4227,

Thank you for the fantastic review of your recent stay at our property! I will be sure to share your feedback with our team as it is extremely important to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their visit. We are also glad you enjoyed the extra amenities offered especially during the special weekend of Graduation. We look forward to accommodating you and your family again in the near future!

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with family in a nice room on the 3rd floor. The check in process was nice and smooth considering it was late at night. The rooms and toilet was nice and comfortable although it seems the airconditioning had a mind of its - it would switch on and off on its own at unpredictable times.

Where the hotel is really lacking is manpower and food. We couldn't find any restaurant here serving lunch on Sunday and the three days that we had breakfast here was Bering terrible. Imagine eating scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast every day. We weren't even offered toast or eggs to order on a single day. The service seems patronising and impersonal to say the least.

We certainly expected much better from a brand like Holiday Inn.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Bhateja,

Thank you for choosing to be our guest and for taking the time to write a review. I am truly sorry that we failed to meet your expectations. Please know that your dining experience is not typical of what we strive for and I will be sure to share your feedback with our Management team. Though I understand your hesitancy, we hope that you do provide us with another opportunity to provide a better experience. Again, we appreciate your comments and thank you for your review.

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

This is one of those hotels where all the rooms have a window looking onto the atrium. My room was basic but clean and had everything I needed. Front desk was friendly and helpful. The gym is pathetic, a couple of machines, no weights. Overall a good room for a budget price.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear BoltonYankee,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at our property as we truly appreciate you sharing your experience. I am glad to hear that your room had everything that you needed. On your next visit, please be sure to ask the front desk for a room facing the outside of the hotel if you prefer and our staff will be happy to accommodate you. Thank you again for your business and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

You would think that the front desk clerk, being the first employee you meet and your first impression, would have some people skills. Not here, none. Not a hint of a smile. Not a welcome feeling at all. Acted as if she was doing us a favor by checking us in. When I asked for a local food menu she seemed upset that she had to find one. The evening shift was also rude and unfriendly. They seemed quite understaffed all around. The only nice person was the bartender. She was awesome. Everybody else was rude and slow. The rooms were not to great either. My lamp had a burn hole in it. The room was on ground level next to the pool. I felt like anybody could see me. Not to noisy while I was there because there were not many people there but I see how it could be. I would never stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Kyle F,

I would like to first truly apologize for the experience you had at our hotel. Please know that the service you experienced at our front desk is not by any means a reflection of the kind of service we aim to provide. I can assure you that I will address these concerns with the appropriate departments and they will be rectified. Again, I am extremely sorry that this took place but I thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Though I understand your hesitancy, I hope that you can provide us with another opportunity to make this right.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Room-wise, this is a pretty basic Holiday Inn, it does the job. I was there for the Champaign Urbana marathon, and the staff was super enthusiastic, really helpful and friendly. Really great, and I wouldn't want this review to reflect on them, this is a corporate issue.

I have no idea why, but this hotel has pillows that are about 12" by 12" and feel as though they're stuffed with leftover laundry lint. (Yes, these are the pillows on the bed, not throw pillows). I honestly have never had a night's sleep ruined by any pillow, until this. (I also don't think I'm overly sensitive, in the morning I saw a good number of people carrying their own pillows).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear illlap,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at our property. I sincerely apologize that our pillows were less than satisfactory and that it impacted your stay negatively. I can understand your frustration as they are imperative in ensuring a good night's rest. Please know that I will share your comments with our Management team and we will rectify this situation. I do also want to thank you for your feedback regarding our staff. It is extremely important to our team to not only meet but exceed your expectations especially on a special weekend such as the Illinois Marathon! We truly appreciate your business and hope to accommodate you again in the future.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed 2 weeks here. The location is perfect for campus and interstate both. Great atmosphere for the price. Felt very safe. Noise level was minimum despite the hotel being sold out. Staff very accommodating. Rooms clean and nice. Pool kept warm enough to enjoy. Will try and stay here anytime I am in Champaign.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear GuitarWaterGirl,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your extended stay at our property! We appreciate your business and are happy to hear that you had an overall fantastic stay. We do hope that if you return to the Champaign/Urbana area, that you choose to be our guest again. Thank you.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Urbana hotel on business in early February 2014. I have stayed at this property a number of times due to business meetings in the area. I have usually found the hotel property to be average at best in the common areas/grounds but the rooms and front desk service are usually quite fine. On this trip, again, the front desk check in process went very smoothly, the clerk was professional and friendly, greeted me as a loyalty member and had me checked in within minutes, putting me on the "executive level", which I found included a couch and seating area vs the normal rooms of a bed and desk only. The room was clean and looked fine, although it was very hot, which I had to fix by completely shutting down the heat. The bed was as comfortable as most Holiday Inn beds and I found no weird stains or questionable marks on the sheets or bedding (this is not always the case at some Holiday Inns I have stayed at). The bathroom was fine and had the requisite toiletries and towels. Television worked well and had a decent selection of channels. The hotel wasn't fully booked so it was a quiet stay.
SO far so good...then it came to the breakfast at the hotel's cafe. I have eaten here before and it was fine, about the level of a better free breakfast at some other properties, even though they charge $10.95 for the buffet (only offering) if you don't have a free breakfast coupon.

My issue was with the breakfast service in the cafe. I was with a business group and had a coupon for the breakfast buffet. No one approached us as we sat down to eat to tell us about the buffet, provide juice/coffee , etc as has been done in the past at this property. So, I walked over to the buffet to get my food. At that point, a hostess/wait person, approached me and asked if I had my coupon or it would be $10.95. This was done very abruptly and with a very uncaring attitude, bordering on rude. I provided my coupon, she took it and returned to sit at the hostess stand, without any further service or words. I got my food (which I will comment on in a minute) and found no orange juice in the pitcher on the service table. I called over to her and asked if there was more juice; it took me about 1 minute to even get her attention and then when I did ask her, she sighed, looked very "bothered" and got up, took the pitcher from me and filled it. She returned and put the pitcher on the table, even though I had a glass ready to be filled in my hand. I returned to the table to eat and no one ever approached us, to offer water/coffee/juice or to even ask if everything was ok..in other words, there was NO service provided. As for the food selection, it was fairly poor for those of us eating healthy. The offerings were waffles, eggs, and bacon. There were boxes of cereal and some muffins. There was no bread at all provided, and when I had been at this property before, fruit and yogurt were offered..not so on this stay. Coffee was not on the service table and never offered to our group. Finally, we had dirty dishes on the table as members of our group left and some others came and no one approached to clean up the table. All in all, the horrible breakfast service really tainted the overall stay.

Room Tip: Attempt to get the Executive Level as an upgrade on the 5th floor.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Chgojim,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us regarding your last stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and I have shared your comments with our Management team. I sincerely apologize for the service you had in our restaurant. We clearly did not meet your expectations and I can assure you that we will use this as an opportunity to work with our staff. We appreciate your loyalty to our hotel and we hope to accommodate you in the future to provide another chance to prove this is not a typical experience. Again, thank you for your review.

Kala J. Cesar
Assistant General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbana
Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, University Area
Red Roof Inn Champaign
Red Roof Inn Champaign
#14 of 25 in Champaign
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Urbana-Champaign (U of I Area)
Wingate By Wyndham Champaign
Hyatt Place Champaign
Hyatt Place Champaign
#3 of 25 in Champaign
Hampton Inn Champaign/Urbana

Been to Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign? Share your experiences!