“Great stay”

Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Utica
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed for one night in the kids cabin and could not have been more pleased. Very family friendly the whole family had a great time. Great value waterpark was very clean and nice. Breakfast was great. Staff was so friendly. The enchanted forest was so much fun. I would definitely go again

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MichelleB24
Grizzly_Jacks_Resort, Social Media at Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you so much for choosing Grizzly Jack's as your family's getaway destination! We are so pleased that you were able to enjoy your stay here! Its great to hear that our staff was friendly and our breakfast was great, all for a good value in your opinion. We thank you for all the positive feedback and hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

A couple of friends and I stayed one night at this hotel after exploring the Starved Rock area. We requested a room with a balcony, and were surprised when our room was on the first floor and looking over a construction area. There were several raccoons on our deck throughout the night, which kind of defeated the purpose of having a balcony. The raccoons were not afraid to come right up to our door!

The water area was more suited to children under 10 then anything else. There was only one slide open and the area was quite small. It's definitely not the kind of water park that I was used to! The amusement area was also not too great. It was a little dirty and cramped, and my friends and I stayed for maybe a half hour. The hotel boasted a lot more than its attractions required. The 'restaurant' the website talked about was in the amusement area, and served burgers and hot dogs. It was a little disappointing.

The room was very affordable, though. The convenience store in the main lobby was also a nice touch, as we bought some snacks and drinks there during the night.

Room Tip: Don't expect much out of the wifi, it was pretty hard to connect, and there was little to no pho...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank andreahhh

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for choosing Grizzly Jack's as your place to stay in town. I do hope that despite some concerns you had, you enjoyed your stay. I do apologize for the raccoons! I have also mentioned your concerns about increasing the ages that can enjoy the water park and amusement park by getting more older focused rides. I have also mentioned the disorganization of the amusement park to them for review. If you have any further questions/concerns/suggestions, feel free to contact me at socialmedia@grizzlyjacksresort.com

Reviewed 13 July 2014

After we booked our stay and read several low rating reviews, our family went into this trip apprehensive. HOWEVER we had a wonderful time! We checked in Saturday night for one night stay. The hotel staff checking us in was very friendly and the hotel was clean. Our room was ready as we checked in and very clean. Typical, standard hotel room, nothing fancy, but worked great for our family of 5!

I agree with most reviews that the waterpark was a tad small, but it was still fun. One tube slide was working (one was down for repairs). All of my kids enjoyed the lazy river (ages 3, 6, and 10). We all agreed the wave pool was the best! :)

The indoor amusement park "The enchanted forest" was a ton of fun for all of our kids. There is a bungee trampoline, rock climbing, 4 inflatable bounce houses, 1 zip line, a huge "super slide" to go down with potato sacks, and a ropes course, which is similar to a small obstacle course up high! The best part was that was all FREE!!! No extra charge with our lodge wristbands on! There is also laser tag for a small fee of $5.95/game or $15 for 3 games and some arcade games.

The food was also very good. The pizza was really good as well as the hamburgers, chicken tenders, and fries!

Overall this trip was great and my kids were asking on the way home if we could come back again this summer! Since its only about 3 1/2 hours away we will for sure make another weekend trip!

I should also note that I agree with most reviews that this really is fun for kids up to age 12!

2  Thank cstone04
Grizzly_Jacks_Resort, Social Media Director at Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you so much for choosing Grizzly Jack's as your place to stay for a weekend visit! We are very happy you and your family enjoyed your trip so much and all of our amenities! I do apologize for the one slide in the water park being down, but it is fixed now! It was so good to hear that you guys would like to come back! Hopefully we'll see you soon and if you have any questions/concerns/suggestions, feel free to contact me at socialmedia@grizzlyjacksresort.com

Reviewed 9 July 2014

This is our third times here...First and second time great this time not at all like it used to be. The water park only had one working slide. The Indoor amusement park no longer has any rides. It looks like a warehouse with a few arcade games and a blow up bouncy house. You shouldn't advertise an indoor amusement park because that it not what it is any longer. We will not be returning again.

2  Thank Carrie994

Dear Valued Guest,
We appreciate your loyalty to us here at Grizzly Jack's! I do want to apologize for your disappointment with the new changes we have made. Our water park slide is now fixed, and as far as your concerns about the lack of rides we have in our amusement park and our advertising an indoor amusement park, I have contacted management about them for review. If you have any other concerns/questions/suggestions, feel free to contact me at socialmedia@grizzlyjacksresort.com

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I saw a lot of poor reviews before we left for our trip. We all had a wonderful time. Our Villa was beautiful! The train/tram was always heading our way right when we wanted or called. The area was beautiful and well maintained grounds. The kids all enjoyed the water park area. We purposely wanted a smaller place as we were taking 6 children ages 7 months, 15 months, 3,4,8 and 12 years. The locker room could have been bigger and had changing areas. It was difficult with us having little ones and babies to get ready. Hang on to your toddlers when the wave pool cycles on because the waves hit all pools except for the tot pool. I loved that the one pool had a seat to sit on that went around the inside of the pool. The floor on the tot pool hurts as they have made it slip resistant (ouch). I was extremely disappointed that NO lifeguard EVER was at the tot pool. Yes I was sitting right with my children but...
I thought the price of the room was high but I did not feel the prices of the gift shop, convenient mart, or ice cream shop were high. For $9 you can get their resort cup that has free refills (they tell me forever).Staff were great! We will be going back.

Room Tip: We loved the Villas but if you want to have easier access stay in the lodge. I had no problem jumpin...
1  Thank Amy W

Thank you so much for your and your family's stay here at our resort! Grizzly Jack's is so pleased that you had fun on your getaway! I'm glad you enjoyed the area and the tram was always there when you needed it. I have sent your concerns about no lifeguard near the tot pool and no changing areas in the locker rooms to management for review. We hope to see you again soon and if you have any more questions/concerns/suggestions feel free to contact me at socialmedia@grizzlyjacksresort.com

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed with family over the 4th of July weekend, villa ok, water park not what was expected, very small. Had outdoor DJ, beer tent and fireworks on Saturday. DJ and firework display was fantastic. Beer tent girl selling light up trinkets was very busy and still kept smiling!!!! Beer tent grill cook and bartenders were very friendly. Then the rain came, no fault of the lodge of course but that sent us inside. Pizza and drinks were great but the servers were horrible. They all stood together over in the corner, I am guessing it was the waiter station, talking amongst themselves, messy tables, mess on the floor from a spill and they still just talked away, they let us know very obviously that we were a bother. So happy when the rain let up and we could go back outside. The kids did love the enchanted forest, was the highlight of the night for them. Not a lot of rides but the kids still loved it. Sorry Utica, you are a beautiful area but the Lodge leaves a lot to be desired.

1  Thank Rhonda M

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for staying with us here at Grizzly Jack's in the beginning of July! It was great to hear that you enjoyed the fireworks and beer tent and that your children enjoyed the Enchanted Forest! I do apologize for the treatment you received from our waiters that night. We are constantly reviewing, replacing, and reminding our staff of the true reason we are here. We are always making changes and I have sent the concern you had about them to corporate for review. I hope that the next time you are in town, you will consider staying with us again! If you have any further questions/concerns/suggestions, feel free to contact me at socialmedia@grizzlyjacksresort.com

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I really wish Tripadvisor had ratings by half-stars, because I really think this deserves 3 and 1/2 stars. So, by no means do I mean this as a negative - only that it's not quite in the category that I'd give 5 stars to (really, Four Seasons/Ritz Carlton caliber) or 4 (standard Westin/Sheraton/Hilton business-type hotels). Instead, it's more of a family-style fun place.

There is a ton of things to do -- there's an indoor waterpark with a lazy river ride, watersides, wave pool and jacuzzi. There's also an arcade right next to the watermark. Across the parking lot, there's an indoor amusement park -- we'd visited here several years ago where there were more carnival-type rides here. Now, it is more of an adventure funhouse with rock climbing, trampolines, ropes course, and laser tag. Waterpark and amusement park are all included in your room rate (which I have to say is not cheap). There's a pleasant little mini golf course - not included in the rate, but only $5/person so it's quite reasonable. There also seems to be some sort of entertainment offered on a regular basis - we didn't make it there, but there was a comedy magic show the night we stayed. There are also fireworks every Saturday night.

The room was fine - we had a balcony, no furniture on it unfortunately. The beds were OK. Furniture was made of logs (described by one in our party as very "Flintstone-like"). There was a microwave and refrigerator. The bathroom was small - with the mirror and hair-dryer (which didn't work) out in the hallway). Not luxury by any means, but very adequate.

Everyone was very friendly. We tried out the restaurant - it's inside the indoor amusement park, so the atmosphere is really not great -- very loud, dark, etc. But the food was actually really good (delicious fried cauliflower, awesome french fries).

We didn't have any children in our group, but this would be the perfect place for families.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

We just wanted to give you and your family a huge thank you for coming and visiting us here at Grizzly Jack's! We are so pleased you and your family enjoyed our new restaurant and all our amenities. As far as the furniture on the balcony, I have sent the suggestion to management for review. Hope to see you again soon! If you have any more questions/concerns/suggestions, feel free to contact me at socialmedia@grizzlyjacksresort.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Utica
Starved Rock Lodge & Conference Center
Days Inn Oglesby/ Starved Rock
Best Western Oglesby Inn
La Quinta Inn Peru Starved Rock State Park
Fairfield Inn & Suites Peru
Hampton Inn Ottawa Starved Rock Area

Been to Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort? Share your experiences!